Access to Uni courses - worth it?

Watch
Krorzy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm 19, and I would like to do an access course, either business or law. I'm swaying to business as I'd like to get into civil service - and would like to, after doing access, go onto uni and get a degree.

Is it worth it? I'm hearing mixed opinions. Some people have said to me that it's not worth doing an access course because I'm only 19. The problem is though, I don't have great qualifications - I have a D in English, and a C in Maths. I also have a L2 in Art and Design, but with thought, I don't think getting into the art industry is for me.

Does anyone have any advice? It would be much appreciated.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Krorzy)
I'm 19, and I would like to do an access course, either business or law. I'm swaying to business as I'd like to get into civil service - and would like to, after doing access, go onto uni and get a degree.

Is it worth it? I'm hearing mixed opinions. Some people have said to me that it's not worth doing an access course because I'm only 19. The problem is though, I don't have great qualifications - I have a D in English, and a C in Maths. I also have a L2 in Art and Design, but with thought, I don't think getting into the art industry is for me.

Does anyone have any advice? It would be much appreciated.
Not every university will accept access courses, it's much less likely they would for law but business could be possible. You ll need to resit your English gcse too.
Krorzy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
Not every university will accept access courses, it's much less likely they would for law but business could be possible. You ll need to resit your English gcse too.
Thank you! I am planning to resit my English - I know a D just isn't acceptable, so fingers crossed.

It's just all so confusing. I hope I can find somewhere that does accept access. D:
Lemonpopsicle2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Krorzy)
Thank you! I am planning to resit my English - I know a D just isn't acceptable, so fingers crossed.

It's just all so confusing. I hope I can find somewhere that does accept access. D:
Search on the UCAS website for university courses that interest you and then check the entry requirements. I've just checked Business and Management at Durham University for you, and they accept Access with 30 Distinctions and 15 Merits. Go for it! I think Access is brilliant, I've received and met my offer from Bristol University with Access, and there are other people on here that have got into top universities for Vet Med etc. It's not an easy option though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.39%
I'm not sure (41)
4.37%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (284)
30.28%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.56%
I'm not a current university student (454)
48.4%

Watched Threads