The Student Room Group

Long distance relationship

My boyfriend will be going to Uni in September and by the time that comes we will have been together almost 4 years, he's only going to be a 2 hour train journey away but I know going from round the corner to 2 hours away is going to be hard for me, I'm really starting to worry about our relationship working for the 3 years he will be away, any advice ? Thanks!
well see how it goes. But if things turn out to be unfortunate, please do not force him leave uni. This is his choice and as a friend you must abide by his decisions and respect it, vice versa. Hopefully you can work it out and prove that your love is so strong that no matter how far you are apart you will always be together. Hope it goes well
Reply 2
Original post by KFrostMU
well see how it goes. But if things turn out to be unfortunate, please do not force him leave uni. This is his choice and as a friend you must abide by his decisions and respect it, vice versa. Hopefully you can work it out and prove that your love is so strong that no matter how far you are apart you will always be together. Hope it goes well

Thankyou!
Original post by Keryss
My boyfriend will be going to Uni in September and by the time that comes we will have been together almost 4 years, he's only going to be a 2 hour train journey away but I know going from round the corner to 2 hours away is going to be hard for me, I'm really starting to worry about our relationship working for the 3 years he will be away, any advice ? Thanks!

Talk to him about it and work on a plan together that keeps it fresh meets both your needs and is smothering for ether. To survive 3 years is very hard but depends upon how well suited you are and the effort put n. It needs both people. If you do your best then you should just wait and see. Obviously a lot of relationships do flounder when one party goes to Uni, so you are just going to have to be realistic and keep talking to each other. You can try to give it every chance to work but you cant force it to. People change in those three years.

Dont forget to carry on with your own life whilst he is away. maybe you are going to uni as well. Give him enough freedom and dont panic if he doesnt call every day etc. You can also visit him every now and then.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Talk to him about it and work on a plan together that keeps it fresh meets both your needs and is smothering for ether. To survive 3 years is very hard but depends upon how well suited you are and the effort put n. It needs both people. If you do your best then you should just wait and see. Obviously a lot of relationships do flounder when one party goes to Uni, so you are just going to have to be realistic and keep talking to each other. You can try to give it every chance to work but you cant force it to. People change in those three years.

Dont forget to carry on with your own life whilst he is away. maybe you are going to uni as well. Give him enough freedom and dont panic if he doesnt call every day etc. You can also visit him every now and then.

He is convinced that he can come visit me or I can visit him every week but I doubt that he'll stick to that because like you said people change, i'm hoping we'll come up with an agreement that works for both of us because i'm taking a gap year and know i'll have a lot of free time when i'll want to visit him, thanks.
Original post by Keryss
He is convinced that he can come visit me or I can visit him every week but I doubt that he'll stick to that because like you said people change, i'm hoping we'll come up with an agreement that works for both of us because i'm taking a gap year and know i'll have a lot of free time when i'll want to visit him, thanks.

Dont forget things can change for you as well. Every week sounds a bit much, but as long as you are both fine with it.
Reply 6
4 years together - I think you'll be fine. Being with someone that long will have equipped you both with the necessary communication skills to make it work :smile: Besides - it might seem quite odd to not see him so frequently but consider the excitement you'll receive every time you do see him :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending