The Student Room Group

First car ??

Alright so I'm 16 male living in England and pretty soon I'll be learning how to drive and all.that. What I really want is an old school Ford Mustang ( like Tony from 13 reasons why tbh) and I was wondering if yous think it's a good first car. They are not cheap but I don't mind doing work on it, my mum isn't very keen but I reckon I could convince her. So good first car or if not have yous got another suggestion of like a stylish first car. thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ojablitt
Alright so I'm 16 male living in England and pretty soon I'll be learning how to drive and all.that. What I really want is an old school Ford Mustang ( like Tony from 13 reasons why tbh) and I was wondering if yous think it's a good first car. They are not cheap but I don't mind doing work on it, my mum isn't very keen but I reckon I could convince her. So good first car or if not have yous got another suggestion of like a stylish first car. thanks

How much do they go for?
Tony is a babe
Reply 3
Bad first car. Insurance will kill you.
Reply 4
Original post by feministy
Tony is a babe

I love him😂
Reply 5
Original post by FXX
Bad first car. Insurance will kill you.

Yea I know😥
Reply 6
Original post by Xopher_
How much do they go for?

Depends on the condition, but you can get a running one for about 7000, that's what I saw anyway
Reply 7
I got my car for 6.2k and I thought I was ridiculous lol, consider yourself lucky if you can get one! I'm still 17 passed 7 weeks ago. Insurance will be hefty for you though.
Most Mustangs in decent condition I have seen go for more than £25,000 so a running one for £7k would be rare. Insurance will be high but maybe not as high as you think - many older cars have cheaper insurance despite being far more powerful than modern versions.
Puts it in perspective for you that you can get a running Vauxhall Corsa for something like £500 and get insurance on it real cheap (like £150-200 pcm, even cheaper than that).

I opted for a bike instead, Husqvarna TC125.

Don't get me wrong, your taste in cars is excellent, but getting a mustang at this age is borderline impossible insurance-wise, unless you're rolling in daddy's money. Best car I've seen a 17 y/o have at my college is a Mini One (I still don't know where they found the money to insure one, it's insurance band 15+ I swear).
Reply 10
Original post by Cupholder
Puts it in perspective for you that you can get a running Vauxhall Corsa for something like £500 and get insurance on it real cheap (like £150-200 pcm, even cheaper than that).

I opted for a bike instead, Husqvarna TC125.

Don't get me wrong, your taste in cars is excellent, but getting a mustang at this age is borderline impossible insurance-wise, unless you're rolling in daddy's money. Best car I've seen a 17 y/o have at my college is a Mini One (I still don't know where they found the money to insure one, it's insurance band 15+ I swear).

Its probably come across that I'm some rich prick but in reality we are just working class getting by😂 I wanna get a really old one and restore it sort of thing, maybe I'mtrying to run before I can walk 😂
Its probably come across that I'm some rich prick but in reality we are just working class getting by😂 I wanna get a really old one and restore it sort of thing, maybe I'mtrying to run before I can walk 😂

You should really get something basic ***** until you get a few years no claims and then get something like that, I have a 1.2 2014 corsa limited ed and insurance is 135pm, good luck with anything bigger than a 1.2 engine. Gonna get a good 5 or so years no claims then I'm getting a golf r hopefully. You should do the same

Edit I'm getting
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Xopher_
You should really get something basic ***** until you get a few years no claims and then get something like that, I have a 1.2 2014 corsa limited ed and insurance is 135pm, good luck with anything bigger than a 1.2 engine. Gonna get a good 5 or so years no claims then I'm getting a golf r hopefully. You should do the same

Edit I'm getting

Yeah that sounds like a good idea tbf...the more I think about a mustang right now the more ridiculous it becomes 😂
Mustang you mad? Go all on out: get a Range Rover... That's what cool kids do these days. Get your parents to pay for it and the insurance, and blackmail them into doing well in school. SORTED :biggrin:.

Can't think of anyone which did this.... :colone:
Yeah that sounds like a good idea tbf...the more I think about a mustang right now the more ridiculous it becomes 😂

The one I have now has 23k miles on it, I'm gonna run it to the ground and then buy the dream, insurance becomes acceptable at 25

Good luck getting insurance on one of those.
Mustang is ambitious.
You don't wanna add to the stereotype now do you :wink:
For your first car get something FWD with low power. That'll get you used to driving and then you can experiment more with what car you drive as you'll have more experience (and cheaper insurance)
Reply 17
Original post by FireFreezer77
Mustang is ambitious.
You don't wanna add to the stereotype now do you :wink:
For your first car get something FWD with low power. That'll get you used to driving and then you can experiment more with what car you drive as you'll have more experience (and cheaper insurance)

Got any recommendations? Tbh I wouldn't mind being the stereotypical greaser 😂
Got any recommendations? Tbh I wouldn't mind being the stereotypical greaser 😂

Well I more meant crashing into a crowd but hey ho

A Fiat Grande Punto is a good option (had mine for two years as a first car and couldn't fault it), Renault Clios are also good options

VW Polo
Audi A3
Honda Civic
Peugeot 207
Ford Fiesta
Toyota iQ

Those are all some affordable options with cheap insurance
Original post by FireFreezer77
Well I more meant crashing into a crowd but hey ho

A Fiat Grande Punto is a good option (had mine for two years as a first car and couldn't fault it), Renault Clios are also good options

VW Polo
Audi A3
Honda Civic
Peugeot 207
Ford Fiesta
Toyota iQ

Those are all some affordable options with cheap insurance

Buy a peugeot = be a peugeot driver = end up upside down on a motorway.

Quick Reply

Latest