The Student Room Group

East London girl applying to Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ElaArslan
Why not?

Because I am anti-elitist.
Elitism is a cancer in our society that is only made worse often by people on this very forum. I couldn't care less about going to Cambridge regardless if whether I could get in or not. All I want to do is be a doctor so I can achieve my goal in life. An education in Cambridge is rather a lack of education and a life of education is a life of no education at all. But, that's just my point of view.
Reply 21
Original post by ugaaa5
Because I am anti-elitist.
Elitism is a cancer in our society that is only made worse often by people on this very forum. I couldn't care less about going to Cambridge regardless if whether I could get in or not. All I want to do is be a doctor so I can achieve my goal in life. An education in Cambridge is rather a lack of education and a life of education is a life of no education at all. But, that's just my point of view.

Have you experienced Cambridge education?
Have you experienced Cambridge education?

My point is lost in translation clearly.
Reply 23
Original post by ugaaa5
My point is lost in translation clearly.

Not really... you're claiming that 'education in Cambridge is rather a lack of education', and you have very strong views against the university that can potentially encourage social mobility for me, and many others like me. I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from and what your experiences are.
Not really... you're claiming that 'education in Cambridge is rather a lack of education', and you have very strong views against the university that can potentially encourage social mobility for me, and many others like me. I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from and what your experiences are.

My point is lost in translation. I've already stated this.
I also don't see how going to Cambridge is the only way to ensure social mobility. Going to Imperial will do fine as well...
Reply 25
Original post by ugaaa5
My point is lost in translation. I've already stated this.
I also don't see how going to Cambridge is the only way to ensure social mobility. Going to Imperial will do fine as well...

Well explain your point further so I can understand lmao. I never stated it was the only way to achieve social mobility, I just said it could. There are many opportunities for it, but I guess going to university with upper class people whilst studying for a degree is beneficial and saves time (rather than having to attend fancy events etc etc)
Well explain your point further so I can understand lmao. I never stated it was the only way to achieve social mobility, I just said it could. There are many opportunities for it, but I guess going to university with upper class people whilst studying for a degree is beneficial and saves time (rather than having to attend fancy events etc etc)

Why would you want to be with "upper class" people?
Reply 27
Original post by ugaaa5
Why would you want to be with "upper class" people?

Why is it in quotation marks as if it doesn't exist? We have a blatant class system and people are affected by them in every way.

And as I said.. social mobility. It leads to greater opportunities, better life chances, longer life, awards etc etc.
Why is it in quotation marks as if it doesn't exist? We have a blatant class system and people are affected by them in every way.

And as I said.. social mobility. It leads to greater opportunities, better life chances, longer life, awards etc etc.

Uh...
Quotation marks are not always used in that context?
No offence, but you are starting to show yourself as an extremely self-serving person.
Reply 29
Original post by ugaaa5
Uh...
No offence, but you are starting to show yourself as an extremely self-serving person.

Self-serving? Lmaooooo just cause I want to do better in life doesn't mean I'm self serving. The person on the other side can also benefit from what I can offer too e.g. understanding people, bringing in different perspectives to a situation, etc etc.. you're asking questions that only look for my perspective, needs and wants and when I tell you what they are, you're telling me I'm 'self-serving'. Fix up pls
Reply 30
Tagging @Immunology for their insights
Self-serving? Lmaooooo just cause I want to do better in life doesn't mean I'm self serving. The person on the other side can also benefit from what I can offer too e.g. understanding people, bringing in different perspectives to a situation, etc etc.. you're asking questions that only look for my perspective, needs and wants and when I tell you what they are, you're telling me I'm 'self-serving'. Fix up pls

You are self-serving, and you have to come to terms with that. It's quite clear. I know it's quite hard to admit.
You should also probably realise that I do not believe that someone who just wants a better life is "self-serving".
But, I agree now. You should definitely apply to Cambridge. You seem like the perfect candidate for such an institution.
Original post by ugaaa5
If I were you, I would not apply to such an elitist institution regardless.

Can you define what you mean by 'elitist' in this context?
Original post by Forecast
Can you define what you mean by 'elitist' in this context?

No.
Reply 34
Original post by ugaaa5
You are self-serving, and you have to come to terms with that. It's quite clear. I know it's quite hard to admit.
You should also probably realise that I do not believe that someone who just wants a better life is "self-serving".
But, I agree now. You should definitely apply to Cambridge. You seem like the perfect candidate for such an institution.

Can you please tell me your ethnicity, class and gender? I need to understand your anger against people who want to do well in life by wanting to apply to Cambridge, an 'elitist' institution.
Can you please tell me your ethnicity, class and gender? I need to understand your anger against people who want to do well in life by wanting to apply to Cambridge, an 'elitist' institution.

No.
Original post by ugaaa5
Uh...

No offence, but having repeatedly dodged answering whereby you have come to such ridiculous and baseless conclusions such as "An education in Cambridge is rather a lack of education", you seem to not have clue what you are on about.
Original post by HopelessMedic
No offence, but having repeatedly dodged answering whereby you have come to such ridiculous and baseless conclusions such as "An education in Cambridge is rather a lack of education", you seem to not have clue what you are on about.

That's because I refuse to explain myself.
I am right to do so. Most of you would probably not see it from my perspective. It's best not to argue.
Reply 38
Original post by ugaaa5
No.

Why are you so afraid lmao I can't take you seriously

Original post by HopelessMedic

Honestly tho!! He said it was lost in translation but didn't want to expand on it because there's no more substance than just his assumption.
Why are you so afraid lmao I can't take you seriously

Honestly tho!! He said it was lost in translation but didn't want to expand on it because there's no more substance than just his assumption.

Read above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending