The Student Room Group

Why does everyone react the same when I say I don't wanna have kids!?

why is everyone so negative towards me for not wanting children,
I am female, but I can't see myself having any children as I still have so much I want to do in life! I want to be a graphic designer and travel, and have fun :smile:
Why do older adults act like this is selfish? ..
Just wondering what everyone else's opinion is ..

Scroll to see replies

I am an 'older adult'. I am 69 and I have 7 kids. Having children is a personal choice so if you don't want to have children, then that is your business. There is nothing worse than an unwanted child. X
Original post by Miss tiara
why is everyone so negative towards me for not wanting children,
I am female, but I can't see myself having any children as I still have so much I want to do in life! I want to be a graphic designer and travel, and have fun :smile:
Why do older adults act like this is selfish? ..
Just wondering what everyone else's opinion is ..

My only reaction would be that is entirely your decision. People do change their minds either way though. I couldnt care less.
Reply 3
You don't have to if you don't want to. People have kids a lot older now anyway.
Reply 4
It's your choice, don't let anyone force you to go against that.
Have you been talking to old people or something? The old generation are used to the traditional 'Mother/father with 5 children and a dog' prospective and forget that times are changing. Women now work and not stay-at-home mothers and many don't even want children and follow their dreams, travel etc. A lot of people are now are having fewer kids later on in their life (Mid 30's)
It's a personal preference. Not for them to decide. :smile: Don't let these things get to you, at the end of the day it's your life, not theirs!
Reply 6
I'm only 21 at the moment so I guess I could change my mind and maybe have kids when I'm like more late twenties early 30's, I just don't think the older generation listen
Miss Unknown, not really old people just older people like 40-50.
Can I skip the 5 children and just get a sausage dog and Guinea pigs? They're the cutest! Hahah
Maybe because they don't want to see the population slowing shrink?
Reply 8
Original post by theoneandonlybob
Maybe because they don't want to see the population slowing shrink?

I'd say the population is too large as it is and people having children they don't want doesn't help this.

Someone start a new plague already
:lol:
(edited 6 years ago)
I'd say the population is too large as it is and people having children they don't want doesn't help this.

lmao.woah.
dw I think I will adopt
Reply 10
Original post by tamil fever
lmao.woah.
dw I think I will adopt

Only joking ofc haha
Aww that would be nice, I love the idea of giving a child a new home :h:
Not everybody is going to respect your decision unfortunately. I'm infertile and I haven't seen many people respect this either, especially people from older generations. It's going to be hard for me to actually find someone who is ok with it all. :frown:
lol same, tbh they just think we're baby making machines and that everyone has the same goals in life, to have children...not true at all.

65m is a tiny population compared to other countries.
Only joking ofc haha
Aww that would be nice, I love the idea of giving a child a new home :h:

same:biggrin:
everyone keeps asking me why I would adopt in the future when I can have children of my own
But I always tell them it would be nice to give them a home and a loving family.I want to see their happiness and see them grow up to become a great person in the future.
Original post by Fermion.
Not everybody is going to respect your decision unfortunately. I'm infertile and I haven't seen many people respect this either, especially people from older generations. It's going to be hard for me to actually find someone who is ok with it all. :frown:

I'm pretty sure i'm also infertile, so high five!!

Honestly, anyone who gives you grief for something entirely out of your control - in a relationship or otherwise - needs to be dropped immediately as you run for the hills. :/
Reply 16
Original post by Fermion.

I have a friend in the same position. It's really not as rare as people think.
It's so cruel how people can judge for being infertile, they wouldn't know the half of what that person goes through when they find out. It can be soul destroying to someone who wants a family. :/
My brothers gay and my sisters waited too long, she's infertile and doesn't know it and never wanted them before and split up with her fiancee over it(history of cysts) so I also don't have any urge because they didn't probably.At 36 and two miscarriages it would take a miracle, miscarriages make it harder. She doesn't deserve them anyway she's good for nothing and nasty.
Original post by Jinkx Monsoon
I'm pretty sure i'm also infertile, so high five!!

Honestly, anyone who gives you grief for something entirely out of your control - in a relationship or otherwise - needs to be dropped immediately as you run for the hills. :/

It's difficult, I'm not sure if you get the same, but I've had plenty of guys turn away from me when I tell them about this. I'm not mad at them or anything as I completely understand why though.
I have a friend in the same position. It's really not as rare as people think.
It's so cruel how people can judge for being infertile, they wouldn't know the half of what that person goes through when they find out. It can be soul destroying to someone who wants a family. :/

Exactly this. I remember I was only 14 when I found out I was infertile which obviously meant nothing to me at the time, but now that I'm getting older I look at my sister in law having kids and other people in my family kids and the happiness it brings and just the possibility of having a child and it breaks me that I'll never be able to share the same happiness.

Quick Reply

Latest