Turn on thread page Beta

What to expect on the 26th... watch

ReputationRep:
    I was just hoping that those who have already experienced your GCSE results day, what to expect?

It would be great if you can describe your day in as much possible, from feelings and reactions to any signs that you've done good/bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    I was just hoping that those who have already experienced your GCSE results day, what to expect?

It would be great if you can describe your day in as much possible, from feelings and reactions to any signs that you've done good/bad.
    Oh come on!

It's all part of the surprise. lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Oh come on!

It's all part of the surprise. lol.
    No it isn't! I want to know what colour the envelope is etc.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get mine in an envelope I just got handed a sheet of paper with my results printed on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I didn't get mine in an envelope I just got handed a sheet of paper with my results printed on it.
    :eek: But then everyone can see! Plus I didn't want to open mine at school.

ReputationRep:
    I got mine in an envelope, and I didn't open them until I was faaaaaaar away from school. I was so convinced that I had failed half of them, I wanted to get away from everyone. I expected at best couple of A*s, couple of A's, and the rest B-Cs... I got 6A*s and 4As Incidently, I also thought I got BBBD for my ASs and got AAAB, including 300/300 in one subject. People tend to really underestaimate themselves and how they've done. I know that's easy for me to say now, because I know my results, but do try not to worry... you will have done much better than you think! And good luck

ReputationRep:
    better than over estimating yourself and being upset. Its true tho that most ppl side with the pessimistic approach

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    I got mine in an envelope, and I didn't open them until I was faaaaaaar away from school. I was so convinced that I had failed half of them, I wanted to get away from everyone. I expected at best couple of A*s, couple of A's, and the rest B-Cs... I got 6A*s and 4As Incidently, I also thought I got BBBD for my ASs and got AAAB, including 300/300 in one subject. People tend to really underestaimate themselves and how they've done. I know that's easy for me to say now, because I know my results, but do try not to worry... you will have done much better than you think! And good luck
    Thanks for that pretty, positive story! It really helps to know what to expect.

ReputationRep:
    Seems ages ago now... 26th Aug 1999 - also my 16th birthday.

I arrived relatively late as we'd been told 10.30 I think.
    On the way in, the deputy head said 'Joy the newspaper reported is waiting...' so I thought 'phew, must be OK'. By this time, I figured the majority of people had got their results. I got 11A*s, the school's (and Oldham's) best results so was absolutely thrilled. Had to be the best birthday present ever.

Phoned my parents who I don't think believed me.

Prior to results day, I'd decided I was leaving school and going to a different 6th form. School didn't know this!!!! So I broke the news to them. Think they were shocked to say the least. Went out for lunch, and then to confirm my place at the other 6th form.

However, I later returned to my school and changed my mind... and I dont regret this decision one bit. I had a fantastic 2 years in the 6th form, and again got the top results.

Good luck everyone!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    Seems ages ago now... 26th Aug 1999 - also my 16th birthday.

I arrived relatively late as we'd been told 10.30 I think.
    On the way in, the deputy head said 'Joy the newspaper reported is waiting...' so I thought 'phew, must be OK'. By this time, I figured the majority of people had got their results. I got 11A*s, the school's (and Oldham's) best results so was absolutely thrilled. Had to be the best birthday present ever.

Phoned my parents who I don't think believed me.

Prior to results day, I'd decided I was leaving school and going to a different 6th form. School didn't know this!!!! So I broke the news to them. Think they were shocked to say the least. Went out for lunch, and then to confirm my place at the other 6th form.

However, I later returned to my school and changed my mind... and I dont regret this decision one bit. I had a fantastic 2 years in the 6th form, and again got the top results.

Good luck everyone!!!
    Oh wow, that sounds like the perfect results day *sighs*.

ReputationRep:
    i got mine in the post so it wasn't as exciting, i knew i would do fine in my gcses but i remember panicking about my french and geography a level results which i also sat during my gcses.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh one question, on the AQA slips are they in alphabetical order by subject/grade?

ReputationRep:
    I spent ages queuing up then when I got in the building I was given my results(not in an envelope), I looked at them and was pleasantly suprised considering my predicted grades(I got a mixture of As, Bs and Cs; I was predicted Bs, Cs, Ds). I chatted to my friends for a bit but I didnt really take in their results because I was so elated about mine. I left quite soon after I got my results because I had to go and get ready for Reading Festival.
    I wasnt nervous about my gcses and I dont really understand people who are.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, try not to worry about GCSE's, more likely than not, you've done better than you thought. Most people who are really worried about them do well, so think of other things to do till results day .

When you take more exams in higher education you'll eventually get use to the stress of results day, it doesn't get much less stressful though!

ReputationRep:
    My results day was pretty boring last year (even more boring this year)! I went into school, met a few friends, went up to get my results which were handed to me in a SAE we had to provide ourselves before we finished school (chuh!), went outside and stood around for a few minutes, opened the envelope in a big circle with some friends, looked at the sheet and saw some *s and was like :eek:, then saw lots of Bs as wellalthough i fully expected 3 out of 5 of those Bs. After that i went down town with my friends, we then went back to my house for a couple of hours and then they went home, that was it! At school there wasn't much of an atmosphere. It was pretty quiet, the odd person was screaming n stuff, but it wasn't how i imagined it was going to be! This year for AS, the hall was almost empty! People must've gone in early and been let in early and then left :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Expect to turn up ten minutes past when school opens, (which you have carefully timed so as not to appear too eager) to find that everyone has already got their results and buggered off.

Then go up to some sinister-looking teacher behind a desk who hasn't taught you since year eight, who looks knowingly at you and says something like "Congratulations", indicating that all of the members of staff have read your results before you.

Then, having been passed your envelope, expect to struggle with it for a couple of minutes, with your hands shaking too much to open the damn thing. Then, upon opening the results expect a variety of small pieces of paper to fall out, most of which appear to be blank. Having rooted through theses, you will find your results, in which you will have done very well in all the subjects you thought you mucked up and atrociously in all the subjects you were fairly confident in.

Then expect to be shoved in the end of a group photo of all the remaining stragglers for the local paper, in which they will spell your name wrong and quote you as saying something that you didn't.

Eventually, you will end up at the packed house of someone you havne't spoken to for two years. There you will get very drunk...and wake up the following morning back at home with no recollection of how you got there.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh one question, on the AQA slips are they in alphabetical order by subject/grade?

Could anyone answer that?

Also MORE, MORE, MORE information about your day would be great.

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone answer that?

Also MORE, MORE, MORE information about your day would be great.
    Alphabetical order by subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Alphabetical order by subject
    OK thanks! Was considering opening them if they were by grade so I could slip the envelope down as far as I wanted.

ReputationRep:
    OK thanks! Was considering opening them if they were by grade so I could slip the envelope down as far as I wanted.
    Heh, no, alphabetical Incidently, I can't remember if Edexcel do the same, I'm not sure they do.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.