The Student Room Group

Taking 7 IB courses?

Hi,

I'm thinking of going into engineering or physics for uni, but I also want to take the IB Diploma. There a a few limited courses for HL/SL at our school, so this is the course I was pondering.

HL: Film, Eng A, History. SL: Math, Physics, Chemistry, Mandarin B

I'm pretty fluent in Mandarin, I speak it at home, and I need Chemistry for University, I could just take it non-IB. If any of you have any input, whether it be personal experiences or general advice, on this it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Original post by Babu123
Hi,

I'm thinking of going into engineering or physics for uni, but I also want to take the IB Diploma. There a a few limited courses for HL/SL at our school, so this is the course I was pondering.

HL: Film, Eng A, History. SL: Math, Physics, Chemistry, Mandarin B

I'm pretty fluent in Mandarin, I speak it at home, and I need Chemistry for University, I could just take it non-IB. If any of you have any input, whether it be personal experiences or general advice, on this it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

If you want to do engineering or physics in university, you need to take Maths and Physics at Higher Level. There is no negotiation on that front. Standard Level just won't cut it. Especially when all of your Higher Level subjects are Humanities subjects.

Mandarin B SL should be easy for native speakers (I just finished my exams for this course and it isn't hard)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by wolfmoon88
If you want to do engineering or physics in university, you need to take Maths and Physics at Higher Level. There is no negotiation on that front. Standard Level just won't cut it. Especially when all of your Higher Level subjects are Humanities subjects.

Mandarin B SL should be easy for native speakers (I just finished my exams for this course and it isn't hard)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately my school doesn't offer those. They only offer HL Biology, History, Eng A, and some other humanities, while there is no Math HL course, although there is a teacher that might teach it. What concepts are covered in Math & Physics HL that SL doesn't, and would it be too difficult to learn those independently?

Alternatively, would you consider it better if I dropped the IB Diploma Programme and instead took HL Math and SL Physics and Chemistry? Or continue with the Diploma and switch Math HL with another Film/Eng A/History?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Babu123
Unfortunately my school doesn't offer those. They only offer HL Biology, History, Eng A, and some other humanities. What concepts are covered in Math & Physics HL that SL doesn't, and would it be too difficult to learn those independently?

I haven't looked at the syllabus in detail for both but there is a substantial amount of material that students in SL do not cover that people in HL cover in most subjects. That's a moot point anyways because I do not think you can self study for an IB exam as there are other components such as the IA which is something you should be doing in class.

One thing you can do is ask your Physics and Maths teachers and your school is that if they can register you as a HL student for both courses and you will self study it. They just have to grade your Internal Assessment based on the HL criteria. I don't know if your school will allow this but it doesn't hurt to try.

Either way, it might just be more simple if you take your local diploma classes for these subjects if Physics and Engineering are really your end goals. (A levels, HKDSE, APs, Australian System etc...)

Btw... that means your school is really limiting their student's choices for university. Because for science people taking the diploma, you usually need double science in HL to get into science university courses. Only having one science taught at HL is definitely not ideal.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending