Intergernational Foundation releases study that uni isn't worth it for the majority

Watch this thread
OhGod
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The intergenerational foundation released a report in 2016 that stated that university was simply not worth it for the vast majority of individuals, except those that went to Oxbridge or did Dentistry/Medicine

Report is available here:-

http://www.if.org.uk/archives/8403/t...in-mis-selling

What are your thoughts?

If your not at Oxbridge or doing medicine or dentistry do you think that your degree will be worth it in the long run?

If you've already graduated, from a university outside of Oxbridge or medicine/dentistry was your degree worth it, economically or was it worth it because of other factors, such as the 'university experience?'

Would be interesting to get a debate going and I am interested to see everyone's experiences!
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by OhGod)
The intergenerational foundation released a report in 2016 that stated that university was simply not worth it for the vast majority of individuals, except those that went to Oxbridge or did Dentistry/Medicine

Report is available here:-

http://www.if.org.uk/archives/8403/t...in-mis-selling

What are your thoughts?

If your not at Oxbridge or doing medicine or dentistry do you think that your degree will be worth it in the long run?

If you've already graduated, from a university outside of Oxbridge or medicine/dentistry was your degree worth it, economically or was it worth it because of other factors, such as the 'university experience?'

Would be interesting to get a debate going and I am interested to see everyone's experiences!
Old news, and really doesn't surprise me tbh...

The main issue really is that degrees aren't focusing on employability skills - and really, it's just the students with work experience and internships who can get the well-paid jobs. I know loads of recent graduates (including some from Oxbridge) who have ended up in minimum wage jobs or volunteering after graduation simply because they couldn't get anything else.

Yes, some people do enjoy the process of studying their degree and exploring a subject in more depth (and it is important to remember the value of this, not just financials), but of course there's loads who just go for the "uni experience". Considering the high fees and associated debt I really think students who aren't going to gain much from uni should be encouraged to consider all the alternative options available. So many people rush into uni after sixth form just because it's what everyone else is doing, and they end up picking something they don't enjoy or not making the most of the careers opportunities available.
snollama2030
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Tell that to the Ivy league investment bankers / Finace Bigshots
(Original post by dragonkeeper999)
Old news, and really doesn't surprise me tbh...

The main issue really is that degrees aren't focusing on employability skills - and really, it's just the students with work experience and internships who can get the well-paid jobs. I know loads of recent graduates (including some from Oxbridge) who have ended up in minimum wage jobs or volunteering after graduation simply because they couldn't get anything else.

Yes, some people do enjoy the process of studying their degree and exploring a subject in more depth (and it is important to remember the value of this, not just financials), but of course there's loads who just go for the "uni experience". Considering the high fees and associated debt I really think students who aren't going to gain much from uni should be encouraged to consider all the alternative options available. So many people rush into uni after sixth form just because it's what everyone else is doing, and they end up picking something they don't enjoy or not making the most of the careers opportunities available.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (18)
18.18%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (34)
34.34%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
6.06%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
2.02%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (9)
9.09%
Reading articles about what steps to take (19)
19.19%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
4.04%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
7.07%

Watched Threads