Applying for access to health without science GCSE?

Watch this thread
Lifestyle!
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have applied for the access to health at my local college, but realised I don't have my science GCSE.

Would I better off doing my science GCSE first and then applying for the access to health course?
I don't want to do both in one year as I am working full time.
Thanks
Snufkin
Badges: 21
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lifestyle!)
I have applied for the access to health at my local college, but realised I don't have my science GCSE.

Would I better off doing my science GCSE first and then applying for the access to health course?
Thanks
If the college won't accept you without it, then yes you should do the GCSE first. If the college will accept you without it, and the universities you want to apply to don't require a science GCSE (some do and some don't, email them and ask), then it's probably not worth doing.
The Empire Odyssey
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lifestyle!)

Thanks
As the CA mentioned above, if your college does not require you to have a GCSE in Science, then you will be fine.

On the contrary, if universities require you to have a GCSE in at least one or more Sciences, then you could be in trouble.

I would at least look at universities now and see which ones require you to get a GCSE in Science.
Questioning_Ella
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hiya, there are people on my Healthcare Access Course who don't have a GCSE in Science. I would give it a shot xx
MissDetermined
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I'm a mature student doing nursing this September. When I was on the Access course, most people didn't have their Science GCSE. From my own research for university it seemed that a lot of universities only require mature students to have their Maths and English GCSE. I would look at the entry requirements for the universities you want to apply to though. If it doesn't specify for mature students on their website, ringing up or emailing might be a better option. As far as I know a lot of people got into university with just their Access diploma and 2 GCSE's (I have 5+ including science though).
MissDetermined
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
If you don't need to get your Science GCSE I would recommend that you do some light Biology reading now (such as the BBC bitesize website) so it's not completely alien to you when you start.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (137)
66.83%
No (46)
22.44%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
10.73%

Watched Threads