The Student Room Group

Moving from England to Scotland

Hi,

I am an EU continuing part-time student at The Open University living currently in England and I received a Tuition Fee Loan fro the academic year 2016/17. For my next module, I would like to apply again but I have to move to Scotland in July 2017 as my husband, who is in the armed forces, has been posted there. I am not sure about the whole process: can I apply for the same Tuition Fee Loan to SLC even if I move out of England? I have been reading about the differences in Scotland and found out that I should be eligible to SAAS and the fee of my course might be changed, but I have been told by an adviser from SLC that I can still apply in the same way like I did previously and even on-line. Is that true? Thank you very much for your answer.

Lenka.
Original post by Le Shepherd
Hi,

I am an EU continuing part-time student at The Open University living currently in England and I received a Tuition Fee Loan fro the academic year 2016/17. For my next module, I would like to apply again but I have to move to Scotland in July 2017 as my husband, who is in the armed forces, has been posted there. I am not sure about the whole process: can I apply for the same Tuition Fee Loan to SLC even if I move out of England? I have been reading about the differences in Scotland and found out that I should be eligible to SAAS and the fee of my course might be changed, but I have been told by an adviser from SLC that I can still apply in the same way like I did previously and even on-line. Is that true? Thank you very much for your answer.

Lenka.

This will depend on whether the new module is considered to be a continuation of the same course. If so then your eligibility will be based on your ordinary residence at the START of the course (England/SFE).

If it's a new course then you'd need to prove that you're now ordinarily resident in Scotland at the start of the new course.

Speak to OU and ask whether they class you as continuing on the same course or not for finance purposes.
Hi Lenka,

This would be correct you would be able to apply for your tuition fee loan support as normal as a EU student through ourselves. With regards to eligibility for SAAS, I would recommend to speak to them directly if you would be entitled to support through them.

Thanks,

Mark
Reply 3
Hi Lenka!My name is Karen, I am in the same situation. I was living in London and have the european student loan from SFE for the OU. It covers year 2016/17.At mid - course I moved to Scotland, now I finish the first course and start new one on October. It seems to be cover too but I don´t understand why. I am not sure if I need to apply again by SFE or by SAAS. What was your experience at the end?Thanks to share it !Regards,Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending