Making Colours from certain Chemicals. Watch

krdesigns9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello,
I need help with some Chemistry Homework. I have been asked to create certain colours from with only a limited supply of chemicals.

The Chemicals Provided:
1. Copper II Carbonate
2. Sulfuric Acid 1M
3. Ammonia Solution 2M
4. Distilled Water
5.Cyclohexane
6. Potassium Iodide
7. Aqueous Chlorine
8. Starch Solution
9. Steel Wool
10. Sodium Thiosulphate.

Colours Required
1) Dark Blue Solution
2) A blue/Black Solution
3) A purple Solution
4) Green Precipitate
5) Blue Crystals
6) Black Solid
7) White Precipitate
8) Brown/ Red Precipitate

Any help would be great thanks!
aytuiq
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Dark blue- dissolve copper carbonate in sulfuric acid to form pale blue solution of CuSO4, then add ammonia solution to create dark blue tetreammine copper (II) complex.

Blue/black-bubble chlorine gas through potassium iodide to form iodine, then add starch solution

Purple solution-bubble chlorine though potassium iodide again, to form iodine then add cyclohexane- a separate organic layer forms which contains purple dissolved iodine (iodine is often purple in organic solvents).

Green precipitate-dissolve steel wool in sulfuric acid, to form iron (II) sulfate solution, then add ammonia solution (which contains OH- ions), a green precipitate would be formed of iron (II) hydroxide.

Blue crystals- dissolve copper carbonate in sulfuric acid, slowly evaporate the copper sulfate solution that is formed to produce blue copper sulfate pentahydrate crystals.

Black solid- heat copper carbonate at high temperatures, thermal decomposition occurs and black copper (II) oxide is formed

White precip.- add sulfuric acid to sodium thiosulfate, precipitate of white/yellow sulfur formed.

Red precipitate- dissolve iron in sulfuric acid, bubble air or chlorine through the iron (II) sulfate solution to oxidise it to iron (III).
Then add ammonia solution again- to form iron (III) hydroxide.

I know these reactions due to my life long interest in amateur chemistry, and have performed these experiments in real life.

Hope that helps!
krdesigns9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you so much! It has helped a lot thanks.
aytuiq
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No problem !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads