The Student Room Group

Easiest/Cheapest way to stop breaks squealing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CurlyBen
Brake bias is not typically adjustable on a road car. There's a brake proportioning valve to compensate for axle loading (and it gets exciting when that seizes, as I've found out!). Plus on most cars built in the last 20 years or so will have ABS which will prevent the rears locking.

Rear discs have been pretty common in the UK for the last 15 or 20 years... not universal but more common than not, especially on anything bigger than a small hatchback.

I thought rear discs were common tbh.
My Mazda has them so I'm happy anyway :tongue:
Copper grease will help on new pads
Original post by ShivP_98
Copper grease will help on new pads

Just for clarification - there are plenty of car newbies on this site - grease should only be applied to the back of the pads and not to the friction surfaces!
Original post by FireFreezer77
You'd need to change the bias as the front brakes would be significantly more powerful than they were previously. Therefore it's quite dangerous and you could lose control of the vehicle under heavy braking.

Or you could do them both at once and be done with.

Your braking force shouldn't be affected until the brake pads are very worn, therefore changing pads an axle at a time will not effect your brake bias. I'd certainly get pads and rotors changed and axle at a time though, generally pads last 2 or 3 times the miles as rotors, and back pads last twice as long as fronts.

Also you do understand how much of a complicated a job it is changing a drum braking system over onto a disc brake? People don't normally do that! :biggrin:
Reply 24
Original post by CAElite
Your braking force shouldn't be affected until the brake pads are very worn, therefore changing pads an axle at a time will not effect your brake bias. I'd certainly get pads and rotors changed and axle at a time though, generally pads last 2 or 3 times the miles as rotors, and back pads last twice as long as fronts.

Also you do understand how much of a complicated a job it is changing a drum braking system over onto a disc brake? People don't normally do that! :biggrin:

Pads last 3 times as long as discs? I don't think that's particularly correct...
Whoops, yeah other way around :biggrin:
Get the train
There is a load of duff advice on this thread. You can inspect the amount of adhering surface on your pads quite easily. If they are fine replacing the pads won't necessarily solve the squeak. It could well be dust etc but you need to strip it all down to clean properly rather than just spray some cleaner on. My hunch is as stated above in that it might just be a lack of copper grease on the back of the pad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending