Alevel histoy

Watch this thread
jacob1371
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
hi, im doing alevel history crusades (aqa) and i just wanted to ask for history, ( if you have done any history topic or are doing history) did you use the text book mainly for knowledge? im trying to revise and im really good at exam technique but its really annoying going through like 4 different books written by historians to get facts, can i get a high grade by learning the a level approved textbook inside out ? and maybe from time to time adding bits? also can you tell me what you used to learn the facts for your history and how that turned out for you? thankyou
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jacob1371)
hi, im doing alevel history crusades (aqa) and i just wanted to ask for history, ( if you have done any history topic or are doing history) did you use the text book mainly for knowledge? im trying to revise and im really good at exam technique but its really annoying going through like 4 different books written by historians to get facts, can i get a high grade by learning the a level approved textbook inside out ? and maybe from time to time adding bits? also can you tell me what you used to learn the facts for your history and how that turned out for you? thankyou
The most important thing is to know the base facts, dates etc.

It then becomes important to appreciate how different perspectives from different historians see the same event. I would use the main text and the selectively add differing views from other historians. In the Crusades i would be interested to know what historians at the time said, from both sides as well as the standard text and any revisionist theories.
jacob1371
Rep:
(Original post by 999tigger)
The most important thing is to know the base facts, dates etc.

It then becomes important to appreciate how different perspectives from different historians see the same event. I would use the main text and the selectively add differing views from other historians. In the Crusades i would be interested to know what historians at the time said, from both sides as well as the standard text and any revisionist theories.
cheers
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 5 years ago
cheers
Get a good revision book. That should speed up your core notes.
ElaArslan
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Tbh there should be one main textbook focused on the specific topic you do? Like how it would be in GCSE. If you're having to switch between 4 books, you could always search for resources online even on the exam board website (idk about aqa, im on ocr)
jacob1371
Rep:
(Original post by ElaArslan)
Tbh there should be one main textbook focused on the specific topic you do? Like how it would be in GCSE. If you're having to switch between 4 books, you could always search for resources online even on the exam board website (idk about aqa, im on ocr)
hi yeah i have a text book, i was just wondering that if i just use that with some extra facts thrown in could i get a great grade considering my essay skills are good? also could i ask, are you using the textbook mainly for notes? is that what everyone mostly does? because i think my teacher is overkill on notes, my teacher in history is giving us to many messy sheets and books that waste time when you have to go through all of them. i know its supposed to "stretch" us but i also know that alevel and GCSE exams can be easily cracked with the right strategy without learning pointless things that arent even in the spec
ElaArslan
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
hi yeah i have a text book, i was just wondering that if i just use that with some extra facts thrown in could i get a great grade considering my essay skills are good? also could i ask, are you using the textbook mainly for notes? is that what everyone mostly does? because i think my teacher is overkill on notes, my teacher in history is giving us to many messy sheets and books that waste time when you have to go through all of them. i know its supposed to "stretch" us but i also know that alevel and GCSE exams can be easily cracked with the right strategy without learning pointless things that arent even in the spec
Yes, I have a main text book for one unit and I have other 'revision guides' which are just basically condensed notes on my course. Because its on britain, its a lot more easier to find. Yet for my second unit, resources are very scarce. I've been having to use a gcse textbook (its on apartheid in south africa) and constantly read degree level books and accounts of (e.g) Nelson Mandela in order to build up greater knowledge. Theres no in between for this unit, either gcse or degree

So yeah, taking notes from a main text book would be very ideal. It just saves time and is meant to be tailored towards your course and the knowledge you need. Don't ignore other resources, but don't necessarily prioritise them.
jacob1371
Rep:
(Original post by ElaArslan)
Yes, I have a main text book for one unit and I have other 'revision guides' which are just basically condensed notes on my course. Because its on britain, its a lot more easier to find. Yet for my second unit, resources are very scarce. I've been having to use a gcse textbook (its on apartheid in south africa) and constantly read degree level books and accounts of (e.g) Nelson Mandela in order to build up greater knowledge. Theres no in between for this unit, either gcse or degree

So yeah, taking notes from a main text book would be very ideal. It just saves time and is meant to be tailored towards your course and the knowledge you need. Don't ignore other resources, but don't necessarily prioritise them.
hey, thanks for the reply good luck in your exams
ElaArslan
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
hey, thanks for the reply good luck in your exams
You too!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (21)
23.86%
The paper was reasonable (39)
44.32%
Not feeling great about that exam... (20)
22.73%
It was TERRIBLE (8)
9.09%

Watched Threads