The Student Room Group

Am I less likely to be picked for a musical theatre course if I am overweight.

I know that (depending where you go) a lot of musical theatre courses demand a lot of dance (a third of the course) and that comes in the form of ballet, jazz and tap mostly.

My question here is will they be less likely to take you through past the audition process if you are overweight? Even if you have dance potential and are fit (a common misconception about overweight people is that they just simply aren't fit)? I am curious and I'd like to hear some thoughts- especially if you are in the industry or have done a musical theatre course/audition.
Reply 1
Original post by AtTheTheatre
I know that (depending where you go) a lot of musical theatre courses demand a lot of dance (a third of the course) and that comes in the form of ballet, jazz and tap mostly.

My question here is will they be less likely to take you through past the audition process if you are overweight? Even if you have dance potential and are fit (a common misconception about overweight people is that they just simply aren't fit)? I am curious and I'd like to hear some thoughts- especially if you are in the industry or have done a musical theatre course/audition.

I can't see there being any problems, just as long as you are fit and able to dance for long periods of time :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Ash8991
I can't see there being any problems, just as long as you are fit and able to dance for long periods of time :smile:

Thank you
xox
There is more to being light or heavy than just a scale. When it comes to preforming being overweight doesn't necessarily mean you're heavy on stage, your "weight" on stage is mostly about how you move and express on stage

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending