The Student Room Group

BMAT in September vs BMAT in November?

Hey guys
You can now sit the BMAT in September or in November as you could before. I just wanted to know when you guys plan on sitting it (those of you planning on actually doing BMAT)?

I want to sit the UKCAT as well, which means if I sit BMAT in sept, I'll have have to spend roughly half the summer on UKCAT and the other half on BMAT prep. If I sit BMAT in November then I have the whole summer for UKCAT, but then I worry if I'll actually be able to prepare effectively for BMAT after school begins. And then ofc there's the fact that I'll know my BMAT results if I sit in september, letting me apply to unis I have a higher chance of getting into.

Idk what are you guys thinking??
Original post by readingschoolguy
Hey guys
You can now sit the BMAT in September or in November as you could before. I just wanted to know when you guys plan on sitting it (those of you planning on actually doing BMAT)?

I want to sit the UKCAT as well, which means if I sit BMAT in sept, I'll have have to spend roughly half the summer on UKCAT and the other half on BMAT prep. If I sit BMAT in November then I have the whole summer for UKCAT, but then I worry if I'll actually be able to prepare effectively for BMAT after school begins. And then ofc there's the fact that I'll know my BMAT results if I sit in september, letting me apply to unis I have a higher chance of getting into.

Hi there!

It's a tricky one! Most students will be taking the UKCAT as well, so for many people a lot of the summer will be spent divided between UKCAT and BMAT prep and work experience.

Ultimately it's all about your personal preference, where you think your strengths lie, and how you revise. If you revise best by focusing on one thing at a time, and you have significant other commitments over the summer, it may be best to take the BMAT in November so that you can focus on getting a great UKCAT score. However, one thing to bear in mind about taking the BMAT in November is that it may be a little difficult focusing on BMAT prep, A-Level work and your UCAS application around the same time - but it has been done! It depends how well you can schedule your time and multitask effectively, so assess how you work best. Don't forget too that if you're applying to Oxford, you'll need to take the BMAT in November.

However, if you're planning on applying to several BMAT universities (but not Oxford!), and these are the ones you prefer, you may wish to boost your chances of getting in to these schools by taking the exam in September to give you the opportunity to apply strategically. Another benefit of taking the BMAT in September is that you will have the whole summer and free time to focus on UKCAT and BMAT prep, so you can allocate your time in the way you choose with few other commitments (but just remember to take time off to relax!). Another key thing to consider is that the earlier you book your UKCAT, the earlier you can begin BMAT prep for September too.

You can also read our blog on everything you need to know about the BMAT September here.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi there!

It's a tricky one! Most students will be taking the UKCAT as well, so for many people a lot of the summer will be spent divided between UKCAT and BMAT prep and work experience.

Ultimately it's all about your personal preference, where you think your strengths lie, and how you revise. If you revise best by focusing on one thing at a time, and you have significant other commitments over the summer, it may be best to take the BMAT in November so that you can focus on getting a great UKCAT score. However, one thing to bear in mind about taking the BMAT in November is that it may be a little difficult focusing on BMAT prep, A-Level work and your UCAS application around the same time - but it has been done! It depends how well you can schedule your time and multitask effectively, so assess how you work best. Don't forget too that if you're applying to Oxford, you'll need to take the BMAT in November.

However, if you're planning on applying to several BMAT universities (but not Oxford!), and these are the ones you prefer, you may wish to boost your chances of getting in to these schools by taking the exam in September to give you the opportunity to apply strategically. Another benefit of taking the BMAT in September is that you will have the whole summer and free time to focus on UKCAT and BMAT prep, so you can allocate your time in the way you choose with few other commitments (but just remember to take time off to relax!). Another key thing to consider is that the earlier you book your UKCAT, the earlier you can begin BMAT prep for September too.

You can also read our blog on everything you need to know about the BMAT September here.

The Medic Portal

Thanks for the advice! I guess my main concern was if I would have sufficient time to prepare for UKCAT in the summer, but I'm hoping a few weeks will be enough
Thanks for the advice! I guess my main concern was if I would have sufficient time to prepare for UKCAT in the summer, but I'm hoping a few weeks will be enough

Hi there!

We'd say that UKCAT prep normally takes around 6 weeks - 4 weeks of regular revision and 2 weeks of intense revision and practice questions. So as long as you leave this time to prepare, you should be fine!

The Medic Portal
Hi there!

We'd say that UKCAT prep normally takes around 6 weeks - 4 weeks of regular revision and 2 weeks of intense revision and practice questions. So as long as you leave this time to prepare, you should be fine!

The Medic Portal

That sounds good - thanks!
Reply 5
Hey there :-) Of course at the end of the day it's entirely up to you what you choose but we usually tell our students that about 4-5 weeks of preparation is enough for UKCAT. In addition, in terms of sitting the BMAT in November, true it means you apply before getting your results but it's not impossible to prepare well because many people have done that in the past. It's still only May and you've got plenty of time to think about how you want to structure your application :-)

Best,

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
Original post by 6med
Hey there :-) Of course at the end of the day it's entirely up to you what you choose but we usually tell our students that about 4-5 weeks of preparation is enough for UKCAT. In addition, in terms of sitting the BMAT in November, true it means you apply before getting your results but it's not impossible to prepare well because many people have done that in the past. It's still only May and you've got plenty of time to think about how you want to structure your application :-)

Best,

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med

Thanks! Yeah, I think sitting it in Sept will probably be better for me just because I personally find it hard to study multiple things at once and this should give me enough time to prepare for UKCAT as well.
Trying to make the decision now just because I'm scared I'm gonna get caught up in AS and internals and forget about everything else x.x
Reply 7
Hi All,

I think it is worth restating that, if you want to apply to Oxbridge and need to take BMAT, they will only accept the November sitting so that all their applicants take the same test. This is particularly annoying for anyone in Wales where the November test actually falls in the October/November half-term break, As a Careers Adviser, I raised this point with staff at Oxford and was a little taken aback by their response.

To repeat this, if the Oxbridge Entrance Tests/BMAT date falls within your half-term, check that you will be able to take the tests at your school as I know that many staff are aware of the problem and will open up specially to accommodate the tests. If they are not doing this, you will have to find another venue for the tests (a school which is opening up) and register to take the test with them.

Best of luck!
Reply 8
Original post by Menander
Hi All,

I think it is worth restating that, if you want to apply to Oxbridge and need to take BMAT, they will only accept the November sitting so that all their applicants take the same test. This is particularly annoying for anyone in Wales where the November test actually falls in the October/November half-term break, As a Careers Adviser, I raised this point with staff at Oxford and was a little taken aback by their response.

To repeat this, if the Oxbridge Entrance Tests/BMAT date falls within your half-term, check that you will be able to take the tests at your school as I know that many staff are aware of the problem and will open up specially to accommodate the tests. If they are not doing this, you will have to find another venue for the tests (a school which is opening up) and register to take the test with them.

Best of luck!

Cambridge accept BMAT-September, I think only Oxford for A100 and BioMed, and a me don't School in Hong Kong are the only ones the only accept the November test
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by thatawesomekid
Cambridge accept BMAT-September, I think only Oxford for A100 and BioMed, and a me don't School in Hong Kong are the only ones the only accept the November test

Top stuff, thatawesomekid. Full marks for research, Best of luck.
Hey guys

Lol. This is exactly how i've been feeling ever since i found out about BMAT - September, you've literally perfectly put my thoughts down into the exact words!

I'm thinking of taking the BMAT is September too! But tbh i'm kinda just waiting for my AS results first, that's gonna make my ultimate decision!
Was wondering where you're thinking of applying to? Im thinking of Cambridge, UCL, Imperial (of course only if i get the grades tho). :smile:
Original post by 6med

Best,

Alex, 4th year UCL medic

6med

Hi there!

The Medic Portal

Hi, you've stated how much time you think is really needed for UKCAT and I was wondering what you guys suggest is a good amount of time for the BMAT? Especially, if you're considering taking it in September like me!

Also initially, i thought of taking the UKCAT before school started in September and instead around the end of August, but now i suppose if i'm deciding to take BMAT - September then i'm going to have to take the UKCAT much earlier in August or late July.
Reply 12
Original post by LifeIsSoHard
Hi, you've stated how much time you think is really needed for UKCAT and I was wondering what you guys suggest is a good amount of time for the BMAT? Especially, if you're considering taking it in September like me!

Also initially, i thought of taking the UKCAT before school started in September and instead around the end of August, but now i suppose if i'm deciding to take BMAT - September then i'm going to have to take the UKCAT much earlier in August or late July.

Hey thanks for your message :-) We recommend a similar amount of time for the BMAT, 4-6 weeks. Preparation should consist of ensuring you are confident with all the important topics in section 2 and then doing as many practice questions as you can. We have loads of free questions on our online question bank BMAT Ninja which you might find helpful.

Hmm yes, I understand your thinking around doing the UKCAT earlier in the summer if you're doing BMAT in September. However, do bear in mind that you only need to spend around a couple of hours a day on preparation for each test. We usually recommend 2 hour sessions for UKCAT to get accustomed to the time pressure and the 4-6 weeks preparation for BMAT takes into account that in the past everybody had full days at school+general UCAS madness. I.e. it should be possible to prepare adequately for both BMAT and UKCAT in the same 4-6 weeks and at least that way you will have some semblance of a summer to rest! However, of course the decision of when to sit your tests is your yours to make :-)

Best of luck!

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
im doing the bmat in september- but having serious doubts about doing it at all. i don't do physics or maths. will this be detrimental to my chances of getting a good bmat score???
Reply 14
Original post by exams344
im doing the bmat in september- but having serious doubts about doing it at all. i don't do physics or maths. will this be detrimental to my chances of getting a good bmat score???

Hey there :-) Honestly don't worry, many students who take the BMAT aren't doing triple science + maths for A level (I didn't do physics) so rest assured that you are not alone! In addition, the content that is tested is technically no harder than GCSE level and the breadth of topics that come up in BMAT is actually much narrower than GCSE. It is only June now so there is ample time for you to revise all the physics and maths that you will need for BMAT. Feel free to check out our resources for info abotu the most common topics (e.g. for physics electrical circuits are a favourite) and loads of practice resources.

Best of luck and feel free to ask us any other questions,

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
Should I sit the BMAT in November or September?

Pros of September

You know you score earlier. This is a benefit because if the BMAT goes badly you can just apply to one or none at all.

Doesn't affect school work. With the way A-levels have changed, you have a hard A2 year so you need to be prepared to focus from the get go.

Pros of November

You have more time to revise. The BMAT requires lots of preparation, especially as many students need to revisit Physics. So the time is very valuable.

You have more time for the UKCAT. Many students have a packed summer, with travelling and UCAS, so tend to sit UKCAT in August. You do not want to split your revision too much as both exams are very taxing.

You have more time for your personal statement. You need to dedicate enough time to your personal statement, as well as these admissions tests. Doing UKCAT alongside your personal statement in summer is fine, but adding in BMAT makes things very difficult.

You are likely to do BMAT anyway. If you do terrible at UKCAT, then you will not want to apply to 4 UKCAT universities. If you brilliantly at UKCAT, you will feel more confident to apply to BMAT universities. So either way you might consider BMAT quite strongly. It is a risk, but with more preparation you are less likely to do badly in BMAT.

At the end of the day there is no right answer and it is really based on factors such as:

Your timetable for summer and term 1
How strongly you want to go to a BMAT university
Your confidence in your BMAT abilities
Your UKCAT score
If you are applying to Oxford
Whether you need to re-revise Physics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending