The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

The Aims of a Food Bank

Had this argument with my mum - an unironic marxist and labour voter
I'm centre-left, for reference

I said that it'd be a better idea for food banks to use their money to buy as many calories and nutrients as possible to feed as many people as possible, i.e buying rice for lots of cheap carbohydrates, protein powders, vitamin tablets etc
The end result being as many people as possible fed a nutritionally complete diet (not necessarily a tasty one) and keeping them in good health.

They were of the opinion that the food bank should buy more expensive luxuries - chocolate, sauces, sweets, etc to make the meals more pleasant. This would surely mean that less calories were being bought, and that you'd ultimately be able to feed fewer people, albeit with a nicer diet

They said things like dignity were more important than feeding as many people as possible, which to me seems to contradict the aim of a food bank

They also said that staying alive and healthy was less important than having nice foods

Are they just stupid?
I think it might be nice to have some treats, but inevitably with food bank donations people would rather supply something 'nice' than something that is everyday but required- like cereal.

It's misguided but from good principles.

It's ridiculous that foodbanks even exist. I still can't get my head around it.
Original post by Friffinghell
I think it might be nice to have some treats, but inevitably with food bank donations people would rather supply something 'nice' than something that is everyday but required- like cereal.

It's misguided but from good principles.

Foodbanks aren't a bad idea, they're a good community safety net for people who fall out of employment
Reply 3
Original post by Aerospengie
Had this argument with my mum - an unironic marxist and labour voter
I'm centre-left, for reference

I said that it'd be a better idea for food banks to use their money to buy as many calories and nutrients as possible to feed as many people as possible, i.e buying rice for lots of cheap carbohydrates, protein powders, vitamin tablets etc
The end result being as many people as possible fed a nutritionally complete diet (not necessarily a tasty one) and keeping them in good health.

They were of the opinion that the food bank should buy more expensive luxuries - chocolate, sauces, sweets, etc to make the meals more pleasant. This would surely mean that less calories were being bought, and that you'd ultimately be able to feed fewer people, albeit with a nicer diet

They said things like dignity were more important than feeding as many people as possible, which to me seems to contradict the aim of a food bank

They also said that staying alive and healthy was less important than having nice foods

Are they just stupid?

Its sad that a fully developed country like ours need the service of a food bank.
Original post by Friffinghell

rather than people who do not have the means to pay for loans building up more and more crisis laons m reducing any incentive for them to find work and have to pay them back at more than 50 p a week ?
As someone who's family has relied on food banks on and off for the past couple of years I can say, from my own experience, your mum is right but for the wrong reasons.

Things like rice, pasta, potatoes, really basic stuff like that is so cheap that it is actually pretty easy to get hold of, even on little money. The stuff that isnt easy to get hold of is the more expensive stuff that can make meals actually enjoyable to eat. Things like herbs, decent quality vegetables and tinned things that arent from the value section, even condiments like ketchup and mayonnaise are more useful.

As for cakes and chocolates, you want people to have a healthy diet but sometimes having something caked in fat, sugar and butter just feels ****ing good and that has to be worth taking into consideration.
Reply 6
Original post by mojojojo101
As someone who's family has relied on food banks on and off for the past couple of years I can say, from my own experience, your mum is right but for the wrong reasons.

Things like rice, pasta, potatoes, really basic stuff like that is so cheap that it is actually pretty easy to get hold of, even on little money. The stuff that isnt easy to get hold of is the more expensive stuff that can make meals actually enjoyable to eat. Things like herbs, decent quality vegetables and tinned things that arent from the value section, even condiments like ketchup and mayonnaise are more useful.

As for cakes and chocolates, you want people to have a healthy diet but sometimes having something caked in fat, sugar and butter just feels ****ing good and that has to be worth taking into consideration.

Yes I'll take that into consideration next time I give you free food.
OP here doesn't seem to quite understand the demographics that use food banks imo and the type of help and support they need. They are a complex bunch of people with a wide range of differing problems and circumstances.

At one end of the spectrum you have very "ordinary" blue collar working people who have suddenly fallen on hard times, lost their job and can't cope with regular payments like mortgages etc let alone food shopping. Their situation is temporary and they just need a few weeks food support. Such people will feel ashamed to go to a food bank and will likely want decent food stuffs with which they can cook decent meals as well as a few nice treats to make their temporary hard times less harsh.

At the other end of the spectrum you have hardened alcoholics and drug users who can't hold a job, who tend not to want to use their benefits money for rent and other accommodation payments and who, if they weren't supported, would become extremely ill very quickly through general lack of food. Giving these people a pack of rice would be pointless as they either wouldn't know what to do with it and most likely wouldn't be bothered to. These are generally not people who are going to cook themselves healthy meals. In fact they likely don't cook anything at all. What they want are instant meals, instant foods that require no cooking. A loaf of bread for example to make toast with or a sandwich. Simple pieces of fruit they can easily carry with them and eat (apples, bananas etc). Energy bars, like granola bars or just chocolate bars which provide energy.

In short food banks need to cater for different demographics, there's no single solution.

They need a mix of highly nutritious goods that people can use to cook healthy meals and they also need a mix of less nutritious easily carried foods that don't require cooking.

Latest

Trending

Trending