Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I hope you all did well in your AS exams! I know that many of you did and I love you all. (Subtle hint to non-AS people has been dropped... )

I'm now stone sober, partied-out et cetera, so let me be mundane -

Sticking:

A2 - English Literature, History, Economics, General ****
    AS - Critical Thinking

Dropping:

Probably Geography, I'm tempted by the safety net of four main A2s though - but, realistically, I don't think I'll do the work for them.

Re-sitting:

Econ Module 3 - I did the wrong option question (Housing) and ran out of time. All my mates did Sport & Leisure/Environment and kicked ass on it!

Geography Physical paper - Nearly a D! If I carry on with it, this needs to be ameliorated.

I could redo English Lit and History to get them both near to 300 territory, but the History involves a fair bit of prep, and English Lit would involve reading another Shakespeare and more critics - too much time in what will be a hectic year!

New for 2004/5:

Critical Thinking AS - I will probably do this in private study, taking the exams in January.

Driving - I must be passed by Christmas!

French - I want to go to an evening class at a language centre, I'm a bit sad that I didn't do a MEL in my AS-levels. I may do novice Spanish instead though.

Job - I want the money! Two evenings a week and a Sunday, please...

Sport - I want my Saturday back! But it's the last year of school... A conflict of interests.

Uni - Law all the way. I need to start going to some opendays.

ReputationRep:
    Sticking:

A2 - Maths, Economics, History
    AS - Politics

Dropping:

Bye Bye Chemistry. A whole friggin' year of my life and we didn't even learn how to turn base metals into gold. :rolleyes:

Re-sitting:

Econ (National and International economy) - I really want an A in this subject and resitting this module will put me in a good position.

Stats 1- I got an E do I need to say anymore?

History (Civil Rights paper)- I scraped the minimum needed to get a C in this which is quite a contrast to the As I got in my other two modules. If I at least get a B then my grade will be pushed up to an A

New for 2004/5:

Politics AS - Goes nicely with Econ and Hist and fills the gap that Chem left behind!

Cooking- Not out of choice you understand, but this time next year I'm going to be heading off to uni (hopefully!)

Badminton- I meant to join last year but it clashed with my classes.

Going to the Gym - Neccessery evil? It will help me cope with the stress!

Driving- If I have the money to do so!

Working harder than last year - Dissapointing AS grades = Hellish A2 year

Uni - Hooray fo Economics!

ReputationRep:
    Sticking:

A2 - Geography, Sociology, General Studies, English Language (probably)

Dropping:

Biology, it's just too hard. I might resit an AS module in January though because i missed an A by four marks and i know i can do it!

Re-sitting:

Biology (Transport) - missed an A in AS by 4 marks. Doesn't matter if i don't improve though, i'll just accept my B

English Language - i might resit ENB2 which i got a B in, despite thinking i had done well.

New for 2004/5:

No idea, my school is seriously limited on subject choice, it's ridiculous. But I want to take an extra AS along with my A2s because otherwise i will have to many boring frees i will just die. I'd like to do critical thinking, economics, business studies, just something else! However my school doesn't offer them! I could do French but i fear it's just too difficult!

AEA Geography - not sure i'll be allowed though, as my school usually only enters people for biology and chemistry. No harm in me asking in Sept though

Driving - um, i want to learn to drive next summer (intensive course). Like mobbdeeprob, i also regret not doing a MFL so language classes out of sixth form might be an idea.

Job - Not sure if i want to get a job or not. A Saturday job would be ok, no more than that.

Apply to uni - geography, of course

ReputationRep:
    Sticking:
    French, History, Music.

Dropping:
    Art, though it turns out it was my highest scoring subject

Resitting:
    History Unit 3 - 52/90, a D. Whoops.

New for 2004/5:
    Doing even less work than before, yet still passing. Hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    Sticking:

Cooking- Not out of choice you understand, but this time next year I'm going to be heading off to uni (hopefully!)

Going to the Gym - Neccessery evil? It will help me cope with the stress!
    Hehe, I forgot about those two! My mum's intent on giving me a culinary crash course, but to be honest, I don't know if it will ever happen. I want to go self-catered too, because I just wouldn't be able to cope with eating food that I dislike at prescribed times!

I need to learn to cook, iron, and to work the washing machine.

ReputationRep:
    Sticking:

A2 - Biology, Chemistry and Geography

Dropping:

General studies - woooo!!

Re-sitting:

Biolgoy Unit 2 AND 3 :mad: :mad: grrrrr!!!
    Possibly geography unit 1 but that would be quite stupid.
    Maybe chemistry 'chemistry of natural resources' mosule as I rememebr most of what we learnt so I may try for an A.

New for 2004/5:

Sociology AS - as I was too lazy this year to take another subject (instead took general studies). Now I have to work. grr

Driving - Theory on the 31st August, and I want to pass soon, before uni anyway.

I want to do an AEA but 1. I'm not good enough in any of my subjects and 2. my school won't let me probably as noone there does it.

Job - I too want a (proper) job.

Proper workign for A2 - no more CONSTANT card games in the common room - its off to the school library for me

Uni, eventually. Already know exactly where I'm applying. Now its just a matter of visiting them, applying, interviews, accepting/rejecting, getting the grades and errrm... going.

ReputationRep:
    Sticking:

A2 - Maths, German and Economics

Dropping:

Chemistry! No A2 for me, woo yay. The best decision of my life.

And no more piano lessons!

Re-sitting:

Economics Module 3 and maybe 2.

Mechanics 1 - 71/100 whilst the other modules were 100 and 96 :rolleyes: Should prop up AS Maths to 290+.

German 1 (92/105 - I can get higher) and German Writing, which was simply awful. German will end up being 270+

New for 2004/5:

AS and A2 Further Maths (woo yay )
    AS Critical Thinking.
    AEA Maths and Economics.

Driving - I'll finally be old enough in October!

Running - Training for the Reading Half Marathon.

Job - I love money too much to stand being poor. And the fun of getting a rich boyfriend has worn off. Even the really, really loaded ones. I think I'll get a Head Boy or summat instead.

Advising Young Enterprise - They need my fantastic help

Singing - Lessons and a choir?

University - *wuffles Economics*

ReputationRep:
    Sticking:

A2 - Econ, German, Bio, Maths and Geog
    AS - Critical Thinking

Dropping:

Nada

Re-sitting:

Geog unit 2, and German unit 1.

New for 2004/5:

Critical Thinking AS and Maths!!! (I must be mad!)

Driving - Oh wait, no, I can already drive

Job - Oh no, wait, I already have a job

ReputationRep:
    Sticking:
    English language, government and politics, media studies

Dropping:
    none, I dropped my fourth as-level half way through year twelve

Re-sitting:
    Units in english lang, politics and media studies, to push grades up as high as I possibly can.

New for 2004/5:
    As-level in english literature
    Learning to drive
    Eventually, university.

ReputationRep:
    This is all highly liable to change at a later date...but anyway, here goes...

Sticking
    Government and Politics
    History
    Philosophy
    Economics

Dropping
    Psychology!!

Resitting
    Economics Module 3 - Managing the Economy (I got a D, 66/120 on this module and a C overall in Economics. Not bad, but I can do better...)

New for 2004/2005
    Random AS level chosen at Enrollment interview on spur of moment to satisfy my college, who won't accept my Philosophy A2 evening class as filling a timetable block. Stupid college. Either English Lit/Lang, Law or Critical Thinking.
    Driving (badly).
    Applying to Uni for International Relations.
    Avoiding getting a job. For another year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Hehe, I forgot about those two! My mum's intent on giving me a culinary crash course, but to be honest, I don't know if it will ever happen. I want to go self-catered too, because I just wouldn't be able to cope with eating food that I dislike at prescribed times!

I need to learn to cook, iron, and to work the washing machine.
    If I learn to drive before I start uni then I'll be able to drive my washing home on weekends

ReputationRep:

Here we go from the musical gal with BCDD at AS...

Sticking:

I am keeping Music, French and English on for Year 13.

Dropping:

Business Studies [D at AS, 2Bs at GNVQ]. I took GNVQ not GCSE because it gave me two gcses grades not one and I didn't want to take German. I thought I was pretty good at it as Bs were the highest I got overall, no As or A+s anywhere. But I was sooo wrong! My modulars results were ded so resitting would require me to the year as I resat one in June and got a U and you can only resit once. Overall I got a D and I'm cashing it in, No resits at all!

Re-sitting: Worse subject to Best subject

French (D) - The school are currently appealing againist the oral marks but Imust resit both papers in January.

English (C) - I'm resit both as my coursework (which was a high B) saved me as I have ds in the exams.

Music (B) - Despite having a B, I am resitting my performing in May. I messed it up big time due to lack of practise. Also, I am considering resitting the listening as the exam is in June not January.

Overall - 6 resits - 4 in January, 1 in May and 1 in June.
    New for 2004/5:

Grade 5 and 6 theory - I am self teaching myself music theory so I have something to talk about in interviews and I need it for to be able to sit my grade 8 piano. I don't think I sit the Grade 5 exam but study it so I understand it.

Driving - I must be passed by Christmas! I passed my theory this week so fingers crossed

Job - I am still working at Showcase despite hating it more than exams, I'm going to cut down my hours though for school reasons.

Tutor - I don't know if this is under the right heading but I'm getting a tutor for English. I have to get at least a B in English for Uni so I need help besides school. I only had a C at GCSE, a high C so getting a C at AS was very good. Also, I'm getting a new head of english and teacher (one person) which will be crap! My old teachers know I'm more creative than studying texts.

Uni - let me think....Music. I once wanted to be an accountant (lol! me an accountant) but now I know I want to do something music related like teaching or composing.

No boyfriends - I have decided I won't have a boyfriend as they are detracting b*stards (no offence guys)

Learn what an iron, a washine machine, a tumble dryer and a stove are.

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed that quite a few people a starting Critical Thinking as next year - any reasons?

ReputationRep:
    Sticking:

A2 - Chemistry, Biology, Economics, English, General Piss/****/Turd/Crap/****er/Snore

Dropping:

None. But need to take this place to thank the lord that this year there is NO Young Enterprise and NO School Council.... yay!!!

Re-sitting:

Chem units 1-3, Biology units 1-3. Determined to smash 285!

New for 2004/5:

Like Ellie- Critical Thinking and Maths, to strengthen application to American colleges, though to be honest- I've missed Maths! God- I'm such a loser.) Also, freakily, like Rob, I'm starting up my languages again- French via a night class, in preparation for hopefully spending some time in France (either a summer during uni, or possibly a GAP year).

I've got to do my SAT II tests in October.

Managed to sort out my part-time job- £9.50 an hour! (goes up to £10.23 on October 1st!) I'm only doing 13 hours a week this year- last year I did way too many.

Spending- I have saved up almost £6000 now. I need to start spending some of it!!!

Driving - I need to start soon, though when I realised I was going to go and study somewhere cars weren't allowed the appeal diminshed.

Yachting- Hopefully getting ready for the Yachtmaster qualification next year.

Skiing- Three weeks next Easter!

Rowing- Hopefully going to be in the area Mens VIII (lightweight).

University- Applying for Law at streotypical Oxbridge and Oxbridge reject type places. (lol, am walking cliche). Also applying for Liberal Arts at Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Northwestern (again, I am such a walking cliche).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    I have noticed that quite a few people a starting Critical Thinking as next year - any reasons?
    LNAT! It's meant to be good preparation for this - and one section of the BMAT too, apparently...

It's also quite easy and you can do it in private study and get a good grade - and an extra AS too, wahoo!

ReputationRep:
    Sticking: I am 100% keeping on with English Literature and History. I don't think I want to carry on with both German and RS, but am having a small personal crisis over which one to drop. I got decent As in all of them, completely unexpectedly, so it's made my decision harder than I anticipated. Oh, and I'm stuck with GS too.

Dropping: German or RS. I think it will probably be German, but I really don't know. I'm going to talk to my head of year... Who knows? Maybe I won't drop any at all?

Re-sitting: Well, I wouldn't be surprised if our English Lit module 2- The Modern Novel- all got sent back to be remarked as everyone has done badly on them. Everyone in my class has got two grades lower on it than in the other modules. If the mark doesn't go up with a remark... then I shall resit it in January. I only want a few marks more to make my A a little more comfortable.

New for 2004/05: I toyed with the idea of doing an AS in French, but have decided it would be crazy. I already have a Sunday job. I have three plays to be in, I'm taking Grade 5 theory and Grade 6 violin. I am supposed to be taking responsibility for my own ironing too. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelBabyfrog)

Re-sitting: Well, I wouldn't be surprised if our English Lit module 2- The Modern Novel- all got sent back to be remarked as everyone has done badly on them. Everyone in my class has got two grades lower on it than in the other modules. If the mark doesn't go up with a remark... then I shall resit it in January. I only want a few marks more to make my A a little more comfortable.
    I'm sorry to hear that. Which novel was this?

ReputationRep:
    Sticking:

A2 - English Language, History, RE, German
    AS - maybe philosophy if i can find a good board

Dropping:

None

Re-sitting:

German; mods 2 and 3 if poss
    English; language and social context
    RE; Philosophy of religion get me to 300!!!!!

New for 2004/5:

Philosophy AS
    Reaching grade 6 piano
    Open days, the usual.........

ReputationRep:
    Sticking:

Maths
    Further Maths
    Music
    Economics

Dropping:

None

Re-sitting:

General studies cultural if in Jan (I know its pointless but its the only paper I got an e)

New for 2004/5:

Pass driving test
    Maybe piano diploma No 2
    Visiting unis
    Going to prague!

ReputationRep:
    Sticking:

A2 - Maths, Business, ICT, Media (if they let me )
    AS - Financial Studies (sounds useful,interesting and easy )

Dropping:

Nothing but may be forced into dropping Media as I stopped going to the stupid lessons between exams and summer.

Re-sitting:

ICT Module 1 - Got an E, which brought the other 2 As down to a B.

Business Module 3 - Should have got an A, got a medium B, relatively easy module.

Business Module 1 - Already got an A but only 74/90 and my teacher thinks I should be pushing full marks...then bring my Business grade up to an A.

New for 2004/5:

Financial Studies AS - Doing it with a load of mates, should be a laugh at worst.

Driving - I must be passed by 19 October.

German (maybe)- I want to go to an evening class at a language centre, I go to germany a fair bit but hate the way it's taught at school/college.
    Job - I want the money! Two evenings a week and a Sunday, please...

Sport - Got football trials for various towns, need to decide/go pretty soon. Also want to get to borough/county level at badminton after a 5 year break.

Uni -Apply for Economics and have 6 unconditional offers based on my amazing AS results...well I can always hope

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.