The Student Room Group

PhD loan for EU students

Hello,

I am an EU student and I have been offered a full-time PhD position in a UK University. However, I do not have the funds to support the three years of my studies and I did not get the studentship I was hoping for.
I am now looking for other ideas in order to find solutions to my funding problem. I am aware that the UK government has given the opportunity to UK students to get PhD loans for their studies, but as far as I know, EU students are not yet eligible for such loans but is considering the possibility. I was wondering, are there any news regarding this decision and when there should be an official announcement? I would be grateful to anyone who has more information concerning the matter and would be as kind as to let me know.

Thank you.
Original post by phdcandidate1
Hello,

I am an EU student and I have been offered a full-time PhD position in a UK University. However, I do not have the funds to support the three years of my studies and I did not get the studentship I was hoping for.
I am now looking for other ideas in order to find solutions to my funding problem. I am aware that the UK government has given the opportunity to UK students to get PhD loans for their studies, but as far as I know, EU students are not yet eligible for such loans but is considering the possibility. I was wondering, are there any news regarding this decision and when there should be an official announcement? I would be grateful to anyone who has more information concerning the matter and would be as kind as to let me know.

Thank you.

PhD loans aren't due to come in until next year - they'll only be available for UK and EU students starting their course after August/September 2018.

Are you able to defer your place on the PhD until next Autumn? You're then likely to be eligible for the new loans.
Hi,

PHD loans are currently still in discussion, no confirmed details at this stage. We will post an update once we have further clarification you can also follow us on:

Twitter http://twitter.com/SF_England or Facebook http://www.facebook.com/SFEngland

Thanks,

Mark
Original post by PQ
PhD loans aren't due to come in until next year - they'll only be available for UK and EU students starting their course after August/September 2018.

Are you able to defer your place on the PhD until next Autumn? You're then likely to be eligible for the new loans.

Thank you so much for all the information you provided me with! Is it certain that EU students will be eligible for loans in 2018? Also, is it not possible for a student to start the PhD and then apply for the following remaining two years of their study? I would truly appreciate any further information on the matter! :smile:
Original post by Mark SFE
Hi,

PHD loans are currently still in discussion, no confirmed details at this stage. We will post an update once we have further clarification you can also follow us on:

Twitter http://twitter.com/SF_England or Facebook http://www.facebook.com/SFEngland

Thanks,

Mark
Thank you so much!
Thank you so much!

Hi phdcandidate1,

We are still in discussion with regards to funding for PHD courses, we cant give anymore information on this yet, we advise that you keep checking the web-site as soon as its been confirmed it will show on there.

Thanks Catherine
Original post by Catherine SFE
Hi phdcandidate1,

We are still in discussion with regards to funding for PHD courses, we cant give anymore information on this yet, we advise that you keep checking the web-site as soon as its been confirmed it will show on there.

Thanks Catherine

Thank you very much for the clarification. Would you be as kind as to tell me which web-site you mean?
Thank you very much for the clarification. Would you be as kind as to tell me which web-site you mean?

Hi phdcandidate1,

Once the details of any funding is available the student finance section of the gov.uk website would be updated. Also, the Student Finance Zone on The Student Room would have updates and as Mark mentioned earlier Twitter and Facebook would provide information.

Thanks,

Stuart
Original post by Stuart SFE
Hi phdcandidate1,

Once the details of any funding is available the student finance section of the gov.uk website would be updated. Also, the Student Finance Zone on The Student Room would have updates and as Mark mentioned earlier Twitter and Facebook would provide information.

Thanks,

Stuart

Hello, thank you so much for the clarification!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending