2:2 or 3rd in First year of uni - worth staying?

Watch
Jasminem97
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
  1. I'm at the university of Leeds and am seriously debating dropping out because of how shocking I am at my course ( a biological science )

I wanted to go to university to do physiotherapy, however after being unsuccessful at 3 universities and rejecting Manchester Met, I ended up at the University of Leeds studying this course ( which is kind of related but way more mathsy and physicsy whereas I'm better at pure biology and English) I intended to do a MSC in Physiotherapy after.

Because I've hated the course so much and didn't really want to be at the uni (I wanted KCL or Birmingham), as well as illness, I didn't put the effort in. I failed 1 pass to progress module by 1% which I have to retake in the summer, and all other modules I've gotten a 2:2. I've grown to enjoy the university and have made loads of friends, but the course majorly gets me down.

Whilst I've received a few 2:1's and a couple of 1sts, its looking like coursework/lab reports I've failed (In one module I achieved 20% on coursework and 12% on the lab report) are going to massively bring me down.
    I worked out that I could get a 2:2 by maintaining my current level of achievement, Its impossible i'll get a 2:1, and its likely I will get a third if I mess my 5 summer exams up. I may not even pass to second year if I fail the P2P module in August. What makes it even more embarrassing is that all exams in this year are MCQ.

Heres the breakdown of my modules:
    Semester 1 - 44% overall
    Physiology - 40%
    Module 2 - 54% (got a first in the coursework but misread the exam Q)
    Module 3 -47%
    Module 4 - 39% (Pass to Progress)
    Semester 2 - (before exams)
    Module 5 - 65%
    Module 6 - (Lab report - 12%, In - course tests - 90% & 20%)
    Module 7 - Essay - 70%
    Module 8 - Coursework - 52%

If I get these awful grades in first year, is it worth staying on the course and coming out with a crap grade and not being able to get on to a MSC course, or dropping out and trying to get on to a physiotherapy or relevant degree?

EDIT: Got a 2:1/1st's in my summer exams
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jasminem97)
I'm at the university of Leeds and am seriously debating dropping out because of how shocking I am at my course ( a biological science )

I wanted to go to university to do physiotherapy, however after being unsuccessful at 3 universities and rejecting Manchester Met, I ended up at the University of Leeds studying this course ( which is kind of related but way more mathsy and physicsy whereas I'm better at pure biology and English) I intended to do a MSC in Physiotherapy after.

Because I've hated the course so much and didn't really want to be at the uni (I wanted KCL or Birmingham), as well as illness, I didn't put the effort in. I failed 1 pass to progress module by 1% which I have to retake in the summer, and all other modules I've gotten a 2:2. I've grown to enjoy the university and have made loads of friends, but the course majorly gets me down.

Whilst I've received a few 2:1's and a couple of 1sts, its looking like coursework/lab reports I've failed (In one module I achieved 20% on coursework and 12% on the lab report) are going to massively bring me down.
I worked out that I could get a 2:2 by maintaining my current level of achievement, Its impossible i'll get a 2:1, and its likely I will get a third if I mess my 5 summer exams up. I may not even pass to second year if I fail the P2P module in August. What makes it even more embarrassing is that all exams in this year are MCQ.

Heres the breakdown of my modules:
Semester 1 - 44% overall
Physiology - 40%
Module 2 - 54% (got a first in the coursework but misread the exam Q)
Module 3 -47%
Module 4 - 39% (Pass to Progress)
Semester 2 - (before exams)
Module 5 - 65%
Module 6 - (Lab report - 12%, In - course tests - 90% & 20%)
Module 7 - Essay - 70%
Module 8 - Coursework - 52%

If I get these awful grades in first year, is it worth staying on the course and coming out with a crap grade and not being able to get on to a MSC course, or dropping out and trying to get on to a physiotherapy or relevant degree?

I feel awful, because I'm lucky UOL accepted me as I was WAY off my predicted grades.
You are smart enough to weigh up the pros and cons.

SFE will pay you degree length +1 gift year. That means if you did switch then you can still have a different degree fully financed. If you are going to drop out for whatever reason do so in year 1 as it then becomes much harder and SFE are much less likely to fund a full degree if you drop out in year 2.

Some of the reasons you are failing are because no effort
Others its because you just arent suited

Its only going to get harder. Will you knuckle down or not? Would you be better off having a break and finding a degree you really want to do?
Jasminem97
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
You are smart enough to way up the pros and cons.

SFE will pay you degree length +1 gift year. That means if you did switch then you can still have a different degree fully financed. If you are going to drop out for whatever reason do so in year 1 as it then becomes much harder and SFE are much less likely to fund a full degree if you drop out in year 2.

Some of the reasons you are failing are because no effort
Others its because you just arent suited

Its only going to get harder. Will you knuckle down or not? Would you be better off having a break and finding a degree you really want to do?
Update - got a 2:1 overall! You where right
susanajoshua
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Have you considered transferring to another degree if possible?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Congratulations!

PS. It wasn't necessary to delete your OP - threads like this are helpful for others too
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
Not sure on what. Well done, does that mean you will stick it out now?

Think id have left, although with a 2:1 then it gives food for thought.
Jasminem97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Congratulations!

PS. It wasn't necessary to delete your OP - threads like this are helpful for others too
Ahhh ok! I'll summarise the op roughly now!
Jasminem97
Rep:
?
(Original post by susanajoshua)
Have you considered transferring to another degree if possible?
I'm considering it - I'm having some issues with a pass to progress module on my course which may mean i need to transfer, but I've been in contact with my universities psychology department and they seem willing to take me on should i decide to change!
Jasminem97
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Not sure on what. Well done, does that mean you will stick it out now?

Think id have left, although with a 2:1 then it gives food for thought.
About me not putting in the effort and not being suited. For summer i revised about 8 hours a day (bit extreme i know) and it bought my grade right up. Still considering a transfer, but theres time to think now!
123a6
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
closed
I thought you don't even need to put your degree grade on job applications? Do most even ask for it?

And if you should drop out depends on what subject & university you go to.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 123a6)
I thought you don't even need to put your degree grade on job applications? Do most even ask for it?
Yes usually. Many graduate recruitment schemes require a 2:1+ to get you onto the selection stage.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
About me not putting in the effort and not being suited. For summer i revised about 8 hours a day (bit extreme i know) and it bought my grade right up. Still considering a transfer, but theres time to think now!
Oh I see. Good job then, but you do need to think seriously about whether to move or not. Clearing is open and the time to do a transfer is now, once you start Y2 then you lose the chance of full funding.
Jasminem97
Rep:
?
(Original post by 123a6)

And if you should drop out depends on what subject & university you go to.
I put my OP back up now - it should make sense
123a6
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Yes usually. Many graduate recruitment schemes require a 2:1+ to get you onto the selection stage.
That's for graduate recruiting schemes though. I think on normal job applications you can just put your degree (e.g. Law (LLB)), university name, work experience etc. Yes the company could ask for the degree grade in the interview but how many actually will? Not sure.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 123a6)
That's for graduate recruiting schemes though. I think on normal job applications you can just put your degree (e.g. Law (LLB)), university name, work experience etc. Yes the company could ask for the degree grade in the interview but how many actually will? Not sure.
Unless you have, say, 5 years work experience your degree class is something most employers will ask for, and indeed most CVs I've seen include it.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 123a6)
For the top graduate schemes then they will not only ask for your grade but a full transcript. The degree grade will be one of the entry criteria.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.59%
I'm not sure (54)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (346)
29.17%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (578)
48.74%

Watched Threads