Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are there any courses I can apply for at Oxbridge with AABB? (A2 Grades, Already have my A-level grades) I know people have got in with these results but I hear they are upping the requirements on most subjects and may prefer people who are re-applying to have straight As. I have A in Maths and Biology and B in Chemistry and ICT. If I decided to re-sit one module in Chem to up it to an A, would I count as a whole re-sitting student? My grade in Chem would then be pending but I would still have the other 3 A-levels to go on?

ReputationRep:
    Ok...not really an expert on the whole Oxbridge thing, but I reckon there would be some courses, which are less popular/demanding that you could apply for. It just depends on what you're looking for, I went to an Open Day at Oxford, and found that although the standard of teaching was excellent, the people applying there were less good company. Personally, I think it's better to go for the course you like, at a good university (+ a social life lol), rather than striving for the best university, and a course that you don't really want to do.Having said that, your AS grades could easily become AAAA with a few resits, and those will be taken as your final results, so they won't know about the B's beforehand.Oxbridge have ridiculously high standards-which I suppose are necessary, considering the standard of applicants. Nevertheless,your results are still excellent.Work hard at A2 and I'm sure you will end up where you want to go.Hope this helps.
    Squid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squideye)
    Ok...not really an expert on the whole Oxbridge thing, but I reckon there would be some courses, which are less popular/demanding that you could apply for. It just depends on what you're looking for, I went to an Open Day at Oxford, and found that although the standard of teaching was excellent, the people applying there were less good company. Personally, I think it's better to go for the course you like, at a good university (+ a social life lol), rather than striving for the best university, and a course that you don't really want to do.Having said that, your AS grades could easily become AAAA with a few resits, and those will be taken as your final results, so they won't know about the B's beforehand.Oxbridge have ridiculously high standards-which I suppose are necessary, considering the standard of applicants. Nevertheless,your results are still excellent.Work hard at A2 and I'm sure you will end up where you want to go.Hope this helps.
    Squid.
    Ok well first of all, those are my A2 grades I know Oxford makes AAB offers sometimes so does this still go on? Also, I've got my courses and unis I want to apply to but I have a lot of spaces so I thought it might be worth a shot maybe. Thanks anyways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asphyxiating)
    Are there any courses I can apply for at Oxbridge with AABB? I know people have got in with these results but I hear they are upping the requirements on most subjects and may prefer people who are re-applying to have straight As. I have A in Maths and Biology and B in Chemistry and ICT. If I decided to re-sit one module in Chem to up it to an A, would I count as a whole re-sitting student? My grade in Chem would then be pending but I would still have the other 3 A-levels to go on?
    I'm probably wrong, but I thought that AAB was more forgiveable in arts subjects than sciences at Oxbridge. From your subjects, it looks as though you'll be aiming for a science-based course, so I think you'll really have to prove yourself at the interview with your grades. Saying that though, it's worth a shot, though you must be sure that you REALLY want to do the course and that you're not plumping for a course that you're less interested in just because it's Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Eek. Sorry. You can do Theology at Oxford with AAB though, if that helps!
    Doh! Really should learn to read each word, not just the ones I like the look of. lol. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squideye)
    Eek. Sorry. You can do Theology at Oxford with AAB though, if that helps!
    Doh! Really should learn to read each word, not just the ones I like the look of. lol. :rolleyes:
    Sorry, I just edited it cos I guess that was a bit unclear, I wish I still had my A2s to go but then it was only one module that actually let me down Anyways, I don't have any art subjects so they would probably look at me a bit weird if I applied for Theology but thanks

ReputationRep:
    I just AABB in my Alevels and will be going to Cam to study Maths. However the main component of my offer was STEP. Um if you've got a slot, it might be worth a shot, but I'm guessing most post A2 applicants have AAAA.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I just edited it cos I guess that was a bit unclear, I wish I still had my A2s to go but then it was only one module that actually let me down Anyways, I don't have any art subjects so they would probably look at me a bit weird if I applied for Theology but thanks
    Just say that you've gone all religious, they'll understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I just AABB in my Alevels and will be going to Cam to study Maths. However the main component of my offer was STEP. Um if you've got a slot, it might be worth a shot, but I'm guessing most post A2 applicants have AAAA.
    Hm what about Oxford, aren't some of their grades a bit lower for some subjects? Also, would it be worth re-taking the one chem module and have it as a pending grade when I apply or do they not consider re-sitting students unless they have extenuating circumstances?

ReputationRep:
    I think that would work. Also, do something v.impressive in your Gap Year, they'll like that.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any courses I can apply for at Oxbridge with AABB? (A2 Grades, Already have my A-level grades) I know people have got in with these results but I hear they are upping the requirements on most subjects and may prefer people who are re-applying to have straight As. I have A in Maths and Biology and B in Chemistry and ICT. If I decided to re-sit one module in Chem to up it to an A, would I count as a whole re-sitting student? My grade in Chem would then be pending but I would still have the other 3 A-levels to go on?
    apply..then ull get interview and then theyll decide whether you have the grades or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlord)
    apply..then ull get interview and then theyll decide whether you have the grades or not
    Do they interview everyone for science subjects?

ReputationRep:
    No, they don't. But put it this way - if you don't then that means you have not got in. Quite a lot of my mates applied this yr - some got interviews the others didn't. The ones that didn't got rejected straight off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    No, they don't. But put it this way - if you don't then that means you have not got in. Quite a lot of my mates applied this yr - some got interviews the others didn't. The ones that didn't got rejected straight off.
    Any idea why? Did they have grades below BBB or did they have bad personal statements or anything? I thought they interviewed about 90% and I thought the other 10% might just have too low grades or something really drastic otherwise i'd be suprised that they interviewed me last year if it was random lol ;-)

ReputationRep:
    Any idea why? Did they have grades below BBB or did they have bad personal statements or anything? I thought they interviewed about 90% and I thought the other 10% might just have too low grades or something really drastic otherwise i'd be suprised that they interviewed me last year if it was random lol ;-)
    I think they interview everyone predicted AAB or AAA (or higher). They interview those with suitable predicted grades. If you've got the space on UCAS form then by all means apply, but don't set you're heart on going there (better to be pleasantly suprised if/when you receive offer!). To be honest though, every subject at Oxford makes typical AAA offers. Some will make AAB (and v.v.v.v.rarely ABB) to canditates who they feel have that extra something (usually potential) but will perhaps not make the AAA offer due to educational backgrounds etc.

However, you must be prepared that almost all the people who apply will be predicted AAA(or more) and they usually only interview people with similar predicted grades (or in your case grades that you have already obtained).

What course are you thinking of?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    I think they interview everyone predicted AAB or AAA (or higher). They interview those with suitable predicted grades. If you've got the space on UCAS form then by all means apply, but don't set you're heart on going there (better to be pleasantly suprised if/when you receive offer!). To be honest though, every subject at Oxford makes typical AAA offers. Some will make AAB (and v.v.v.v.rarely ABB) to canditates who they feel have that extra something (usually potential) but will perhaps not make the AAA offer due to educational backgrounds etc.

However, you must be prepared that almost all the people who apply will be predicted AAA(or more) and they usually only interview people with similar predicted grades (or in your case grades that you have already obtained).

What course are you thinking of?!
    Well some of the college websites e.g. Jesus, Oxford says they typically give AAB offers except for certain subjects (med, law, economics etc) but I might be interested in something like psychology although I would have to do a bit of reading as I didn't do the A-level or one of the pure science subjects. Does offers make any difference if you went to a state school? lol

ReputationRep:
    Well some of the college websites e.g. Jesus, Oxford says they typically give AAB offers except for certain subjects (med, law, economics etc) but I might be interested in something like psychology although I would have to do a bit of reading as I didn't do the A-level or one of the pure science subjects. Does offers make any difference if you went to a state school? lol
    Yes - state school students are generally given lower offers certainly at Cambridge. This year, most offers were AAB even for the more oversubscribed courses.

You may also be considered under Special Access - ask fishpaste. He was given all the concessions that Cambridge could muster, including a special Easter coaching course at Cam for STEP. Even though he missed his STEP offer despite the extra help, they still accepted him. They need to demonstrate that they accept state school students who do not necessarily perform as well as they would wish.

Go for it - you have nothing to lose and maybe something to gain. But do bear in mind that all the best students are not at Oxbridge!

ReputationRep:
    The other thing is, they might not look too favourably on me if I consider applying for Medicine or something and apply to them for Psychology, it's obviously some kind of back-up choice so would that make a difference? Also I don't think my school is dilapidated enough yet to use the Special Access Scheme They give all the wrong advice yet pride themselves on..something..I don't know it's going downhill every day..

ReputationRep:
    The best option is to ring up the admissions office and ask. I reckon you're more likely to have success with Oxford than at Cambridge - Cambridge offers are almost exclusively AAA in science but at Oxford they're sometimes lower..

ReputationRep:
    Generally they want all As, but if you really want to go, just apply anyway (I know someone who got an interview at Cambridge with just 2 Bs), and be prepared for the worst, and make sure you have a really good back up uni.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.