The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Royal Holloway. Is Runnymede bad?

I just got an offer of accomodation for Runnymede, which was my first choice. However now i'm hearing loads of awful reviews and that others are much better so i'm a bit stressed. Is it as bad as people say it is?
(edited 6 years ago)
From what I've heard, it's definitely miles better than Kingswood, so you have that to keep you steady! I haven't heard anything bad about Runnymede.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by HeatherRowe
I just got an offer of accomodation for Runnymede, which was my first choice. However now i'm hearing loads of awful reviews and that others are much better so i'm a bit stressed. Is it as bad as people say it is?

Hi Heather,

It's exciting to hear that you've received your offer, but I'm sorry to hear you're feeling a bit worried about it all. I remember when I first got my room offer I was really worried because I hadn't seen the room before and was really unsure what it would be like.

Runnymede is actually a really nice place to live. A whole group of friends from my first year all lived in Runnymede, and they really enjoyed it. You're in a pretty prime location especially if you're into sports, as you're right next to the gym, but you're also next to the back gate of campus which is the quickest route from campus to the train station and into Egham.

One thing I found that eased my fears when thinking about my room was working out how I would decorate it. I spent hours on the Virtual Tour and making a Pinterest board of dorm room decor, and working out how I wanted mine to look. This also worked as a pretty nice distraction from exam stress.

If you're able to make it onto campus on either June 14th or June 17th, we have some Open Days where we will have some Runnymede rooms open, and some students who live in there to chat to. If not, I'd just try to focus on the reasons you picked it as your first choice. Once you move into your room and meet your flatmates you'll really have the chance to make it feel like your space.

Is there anything that was particularly worrying you about halls? :smile:

Summer :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
One thing I found that eased my fears when thinking about my room was working out how I would decorate it. I spent hours on the Virtual Tour and making a Pinterest board of dorm room decor, and working out how I wanted mine to look. This also worked as a pretty nice distraction from exam stress.

I didn't know that was a thing...

:smile:
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
I spent hours on the Virtual Tour and making a Pinterest board of dorm room decor, and working out how I wanted mine to look.

... It's a long shot and strange question, but I don't suppose you could share your Pinterest board, could you? I've been given Wedderburn and I'm already curious about making it my own!! It's definitely good to distract from the nerves!
Original post by Jinkx Monsoon
... It's a long shot and strange question, but I don't suppose you could share your Pinterest board, could you? I've been given Wedderburn and I'm already curious about making it my own!! It's definitely good to distract from the nerves!

Hey Jinkx,

Unfortunately I have no idea what happened to that mood board! Searching 'Dorm room decor' will definitely bring up some great ideas.

Some top decor tips which I found really transforms your halls:
- Tapestry sheets. You can get these for fairly cheap and they give a nice boho look and can give your room a nice pop of colour.
- Cushions, bedsheets, and blankets. The chances are that a lot of the time you'll be hanging out in other people's rooms. Having loads of cushions and blankets make it really cosy, and can turn your bed into a sofa for movie nights. One of my flatmates even brought along a bean bag chair (needless to say, we did lots of movie nights in his room). If you're someone who can get a bit homesick, bringing along your own duvet sheets (rather than buying new ones) can make it feel really homely.
- Photos of friends and family. Get some fun frames or some whitetac. Make a little clothes line for pictures and hang it on a wall - be really creative with that kinda stuff.
- Plug-in fairy lights aren't allowed, but I know Primark does some really pretty battery operated lights.
- Posters. My first year room was so poster-centric. I would definitely hold off on buying these until Welcome Week, because they hold poster fairs outside the SU and you can get some really pretty (or super nerdy!) designs for a great price, and you don't have to worry about them getting wrinkled in the travelling process.
- Your favourite coffee mug will be a necessity.

Other than that you can get really creative with work storage options and a good desk mirror will be your best friend. Being in halls was the first time I felt like I'd managed to have total control over my own space, and finding those little gems which make your room pop is so rewarding.

:smile: Summer
Original post by HeatherRowe

I'm living in there at the moment. It's single bed and it's a bit dated, but it's ok, nothing to be worried about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending