What sort of job should I do? Watch

JoshC98
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm currently studying Economics at the University of Bath and recently I've been thinking a lot about what sort of career I would like to have when I'm older. Most people on my course are interested in accounting, stockbroking, banking etc but that really isn't for me. I'm quite interested in politics and would love to have a career in politics but I'd like to explore other options too. As corny as it sounds, I want to have a job that allows me to have a positive impact on the world in one way or another, that has a positive impact on those who are less fortunate. Can anybody think of any jobs that would allow me to do this and be suitable for an Economics graduate?
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You could use your degree to go into a finance role for a charity? Some charities have graduate schemes in different fields.

It wouldn't be a long term career, but you could take a year teaching English abroad. You would make a positive impact on the lives by helping people learn a new language and you would get to travel too.

If you are looking for a career in politics, get some experience shadowing or an internship at a local MPs office or council. What made you want a career in politics?
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
GES might be a good idea. Or the grad programme at HM Treasury.

You could also look at different streams within the Civil Service Fast Stream.

Posted from TSR Mobile
JoshC98
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
You could use your degree to go into a finance role for a charity? Some charities have graduate schemes in different fields.

It wouldn't be a long term career, but you could take a year teaching English abroad. You would make a positive impact on the lives by helping people learn a new language and you would get to travel too.

If you are looking for a career in politics, get some experience shadowing or an internship at a local MPs office or council. What made you want a career in politics?
I quite like the idea of a finance roll in a charity. I'll certainly have a look into that, thanks! In term of why I want a career in politics, I've only become truly interested in politics over the last 18 months or so, and I personally find the direction the country is being steered in by the Tories to be abhorrent, and I want to try and have an influence on the way the country is run.
JoshC98
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
GES might be a good idea. Or the grad programme at HM Treasury.

You could also look at different streams within the Civil Service Fast Stream.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had a brief look at the GES and the grad programme at the Treasury and they both look fascinating, thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
22.91%
The paper was reasonable (428)
44.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.2%
It was TERRIBLE (135)
14.12%

Watched Threads