The Student Room Group

Foreign Language Writing

How do I score marks for a foreign language (GCSE) writing exam? I'm aiming for an A*.
Original post by paigex21
How do I score marks for a foreign language (GCSE) writing exam? I'm aiming for an A*.

Ensure you back up your thoughts with opinions and reasoning. Use as complicated vocabulary as you can and focus on the word order and sentence structure :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by paigex21

What most exam boards will look for are range of language, communication and accuracy.

This means that to score full marks, you need to use as many tenses as you can e.g (Past, Present, Future, Conditional ect.) and add as many different structures.
This means that your vocabulary and conjugating ability will need to be reasonably high. Knowing all irregular verbs and learning how to conjugate them is both useful and essential. Many students in my French class can't get above a B because even though their vocab is good, they can't conjugate verbs well.

Communication is basically expanding your points and providing many opinions. Just discussing. Communication mark is directly proportional to how much you write. The only exception is when what you write isn't relevant to the topic or doesn't answer the question. This is where you can lose marks.

Finally, for any language essay you need to try and spell words correctly and use as many of the structures as you can accurately. Otherwise, your mark will go down.

If you pay attention to all of these, then you will be heading for an A*.

Quick Reply

Latest