Iodoform Question

Watch this thread
Dennizun_win
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The question is from Q5 Section A of Unit 4 June 2016 Edexcel GCE Chemistry. The question is attached, and apparently the answer to part (c) is D. Can someone explain why both W and Z produce iodoform when reacting with iodine in alkaline solution? I thought the iodoform test gives a positive result when the functional group CH3COR was present, i.e. all ethyl ketones and ethanal. Surely Z should not give a positive result as it doesn't even have a C=O group, let alone the CH3COR functional group.
Attached files
tony_dolby
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
I am digging in to the dim and distant past (why do exam boards expect people to know such out-dated reactions!), but seem to remember that many secondary alcohols give a positive iodoform test. This would explain why Z is positive. W is expected because it is a ketone. X is an aldehyde, but you are right, the only aldehyde that gives a positive test is ethanal. Y is a primary alcohol, so it won't give a positive test (only ethanol works).

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicpr.../iodoform.html
Dennizun_win
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by tony_dolby)
I am digging in to the dim and distant past (why do exam boards expect people to know such out-dated reactions!), but seem to remember that many secondary alcohols give a positive iodoform test. This would explain why Z is positive. W is expected because it is a ketone. X is an aldehyde, but you are right, the only aldehyde that gives a positive test is ethanal. Y is a primary alcohol, so it won't give a positive test (only ethanol works).

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicpr.../iodoform.html
Thanks a lot!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
31.75%
They're what I expected (19)
30.16%
They're worse than what I expected (24)
38.1%

Watched Threads