The Student Room Group

GCSE English Lit and Revision

I'm taking my first English lit exam on the 22nd, and was wondering how people have been revising. I've been told just to learn quotes from each book and plan possible essays that might come up, but is this really the best way to revise for English lit? If it's of any relevance, we're doing Jekyll and Hyde, Romeo and Juliet and An Inspector Calls, and then of course the poems from the Power and Conflict and Love and Relationships anthologies.

Also, I was wondering if anyone could just summarise what's in paper one and what's in paper two for me. I've missed a significant amount of lessons since year nine due to illness and I'm really only relying on passing English language, English literature and my option subject, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
What exam board are you doing?
Reply 2
Original post by Inspiringvisons
What exam board are you doing?

AQA
Original post by erin046
AQA

for me...

PAPER ONE:
Mabeth + Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

PAPER TWO:
An Inspector Calls, Seen Poetry and Unseen Poetry

Paper 1: Shakespeare and the 19th-century novel

What's assessed
Shakespeare plays
The 19th-century novel

How it's assessed
written exam: 1 hour 45 minutes 64 marks 40% of GCSE

Questions

Section A Shakespeare:
students will answer one question on their play of choice. They will be required to write in detail about an extract from the play and then to write about the play as a whole.
Section B The 19th-century novel:
students will answer one question on their novel of choice. They will be required to write in detail about an extract from the novel and then to write about the novel as a whole.

Paper 2: Modern texts and poetry

What's assessed

Modern prose or drama texts
The poetry anthology
Unseen poetry

How it's assessed
written exam: 2 hour 15 minutes 96 marks 60% of GCSE

Questions

Section A
Modern texts: students will answer one essay question from a choice of two on their studied modern prose or drama text.

Section B
Poetry: students will answer one comparative question on one named poem printed on the paper and one other poem from their chosen anthology cluster.

Section C
Unseen poetry: Students will answer one question on one unseen poem and one question comparing this poem with a second unseen poem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending