Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you- or did you- cope with bullying? Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It's mental health awareness week this week and today the focus is on surviving hard times. Part of this is bullying, which a lot of people unfortunately go through at some point in their lives and is really difficult to deal with. So we thought we'd ask other people how they cope or coped, and see if there's anything that might help you too.

There are lots of different types of bullying. It can be physical, verbal or emotional, in school, online or in the workplace, even at home. These are all equally difficult to deal with in different ways, and obviously vary in severity a lot too.

How do you- or have you- coped with bullying?
    Is there anything that helped make it less severe?
    If it happened a while ago, do you still feel the effects and has anything helped with this?

If you're currently being bullied then have a look at the advice from Bullying UK and the NSPCC. There are also links to other helplines in the hub thread here.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Um, I didn't cope. I got very lonely, very bruised, and very suicidal, and left school at 16 to get away from that environment to the detriment of my education. Suffered from PTSD for a few years which has mostly resolved itself a decade later, but I'm still pretty prone to melancholy... In work I haven't experienced it, and going back to college as an adult I haven't experienced it - but maybe that's because I'm so accustomed to being solitary I don't notice being excluded anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    It's mental health awareness week this week and today the focus is on surviving hard times. Part of this is bullying, which a lot of people unfortunately go through at some point in their lives and is really difficult to deal with. So we thought we'd ask other people how they cope or coped, and see if there's anything that might help you too.

There are lots of different types of bullying. It can be physical, verbal or emotional, in school, online or in the workplace, even at home. These are all equally difficult to deal with in different ways, and obviously vary in severity a lot too.

How do you- or have you- coped with bullying?
    Is there anything that helped make it less severe?
    If it happened a while ago, do you still feel the effects and has anything helped with this?

If you're currently being bullied then have a look at the advice from Bullying UK and the NSPCC. There are also links to other helplines in the hub thread here.
    I ended up turning the insults and attacks back at the bullies, so am not bullied anymore

ReputationRep:
    I have a long fuse so I put up with it for several months until I eventually gave in and let them goad me into a fight.

There was no more bullying after that day.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I have experienced verbal abuse in the past and the way I dealt with it was to just simply avoid the person all together instead of insult them back. Sometimes it can get to your emotions, but honestly in the end it only gives you thicker skin. I'm sure physical bullying would have occured too but since I'm the strongest in my school no one dared to start a fight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ)
    I have a long fuse so I put up with it for several months until I eventually gave in and let them goad me into a fight.

There was no more bullying after that day.
    I've knocked the same person out 7 times!

ReputationRep:
    I have experienced bullying because of my weight. My way of coping was unfortunately to eat in the toilets by myself and throwing my school dinner away. I became very self concious.

Its kind of stuck with me now, 7 years later, because I still find myself eating less or never eating at all sometimes. My mum constantly bullied me as well for my weight and constantly watched what I ate and I dealt with that by just walking away and eating in my room or eating outside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334)
    I've knocked the same person out 7 times!
    You'd think they'd have learnt by now that it's not worth it. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ)
    You'd think they'd have learnt by now that it's not worth it. :facepalm:
    haven't seen him for two years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334)
    haven't seen him for two years
    Oh, ok.

"You would've thought that he'd have figured out that it wasn't worth it the first few times you knocked him out. :facepalm:"
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I was bullied in secondary school by various people across various year groups in teh school. A lot of them I had no idea what year they were in or what their names were, so it was hard to report it, and I felt too scared. Eventually myself and a friend who was also being bullied, reported two girls in our year group who we DID know the names of. It was handled very subtly but it felt very unsatisfactory - I didn't feel they had been punished or brought to account, etc.

I was also bullied in uni, the first year by a peer, the second year by a tutor. The peer I didn't deal with so well - I let it build up and up until I exploded and told a tutor. With the tutor who bullied me, I was assertive and fought back, in that I let him know I wasn't going to be treated like that and just take it silently. We had massive fights via email, with senior staff copied in. Looking back it's quite amusing but at the time it was horrendous.

I do still feel the effects of it. These have only been mitigated by several rounds of NHS therapy (the first two were good but not as effective as the third round. Just finished the third round today actually!).

To anyone being bullied: don't be silent, speak out until you are heard :grouphugs:
    • Welcome Squad

hid behind a shed until i moved schools and it went away

ReputationRep:
    laxative prank the bullies

ReputationRep:
    I laughed it off and nearly got suspended yay

ReputationRep:
    well stand up to them and tell them they aint perfect so they cant bully you and stand up for yourself

ReputationRep:
    Throughout the whole of high school, i would get picked on quite regularly by people in various year groups. People would laugh at me, judge me, and make (racists) comments about me (directly and indirectly). There was even a time when i was waiting to be picked up from school and this girl from the year above actually came up behind me, kicked my bag then ran back to her friends whilst laughing.

I never did anything about it. It probably wouldve made things worse and tbh the teachers were kinda useless. The only way i coped was by trying to ignore them and just pretended that i didnt care.

I dont see them anymore so i am definitely feeling happier than before. It still effects me i guess, i mean I sit at the back or the side of the classroom to avoid people and i dont talk really talk to many people other than my friends. And i certainly dont like doing presentations because it just reminds me of high school when people would laugh at me whenever i spoke.

ReputationRep:
    Once I got bullied by 2 lads. I delivered sweet chin music (Kick to the face if you don't know) to one of the lads and the other just watched. From that day they've never said anything.
    So to reiterate, Sweet Chin Music is the only way to defeat bullies!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Junaid12)
    Once I got bullied by 2 lads. I delivered sweet chin music (Kick to the face if you don't know) to one of the lads and the other just watched. From that day they've never said anything.
    So to reiterate, Sweet Chin Music is the only way to defeat bullies!
    Idk about that man. The only time I lost my temper with a guy I too resorted to sweet chin music but guess what? The following week he was still talking sh*te. So i did it again and that still didn't shut him up. Eventually I just avoided him all together. I'd say that's the best way to defeat bullying, avoiding and ignoring sh*tty people

ReputationRep:
    Lol bullies are just little BLEEPS who have many insecurities...

(Literally if they are bullying you- it automatically makes you a better person than them and it shows they are either jealous of you or frankly have too much time in their life and should think about getting a hobby...)

ANYWAY -squint your eyes at them
    -stare at them (IN THE EYE DO NOT DODGE EYE CONTACT)
    - then suddenly smile, shrug your shoulders and say 'He...your cool!' (STILL LOOKING THEM IN THE EYE)
    What your going for here is a 'kill them with kindness kinda vibe... you want them to feel stupid. Not bad about what they are doing- just stupid.

The key thing to take away from this is to look them in the eye...

the closer you get to them (whilst looking them in the eye) the better...
    If you get so close that they spit on you then just say 'Aw cute alpaca impression"

IF its syberbullying then thats different. keep telling a parent or teacher. Don't reply to messages EVEN if it makes you angry cause then you could get in the wrong...
    Just keep telling them every time it happens.
    If they call you a snitch tell them that you would rather be a snitch than a b***ch and walk off

YOU GOT THIS! xox

ReputationRep:
    i didnt. It just happened to me and i just had to take it, as I had no other choice. Being weak and fat, im an easy target.

My only thing I did to not feel suicidal was do what I enjoyed, play video games, as I didnt have many friends.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.