The Student Room Group

Anyone who got into Cambridge or oxford university

Anyone who's in Cambridge or Oxford university or got a place there, what sort of GCSE's and A-Levels did you get? Also what other qualifications did you need (like work experience)???
Reply 1
Hi :smile:

I'm at Oxford studying English - I got all As and A*s at GCSE and A*A*A at A Level (The offer for humanities at Oxford is AAA , usually A*AA at Cambridge). I know a lot of people who didn't get all As at GCSE though and its definitely not a requirement, the admissions process takes into account lots of factors including how good your school is, if you come from a low socioeconomic background, disabilities etc to try and make it fairer.

As for work experience, I don't think this is a requirement for subjects apart from medicine (I didn't do any). All Oxbridge cares about is academic achievement and academic potential. If you know what subject you want to apply for, try and show in your personal statement that you're interested in it outside of the classroom. This could be work experience (e.g. doing work in a library if you're applying for humanities, or a chemistry lab if you're applying for chemistry), but equally could just be reading books to do with the subject that aren't on your school syllabus. Are you part of any school societies? Is there a school society for the subject you're applying for? If not then why not start one? - this would definitely prove you were interested in the subject !

Ultimately they want to make it as fair as possible, so you certainly wont be disadvantaged for not doing work experience as not everyone has that opportunity. Equally, your grades will be contextualised to try and even the playing field :smile:
Offer holder for natsci at Cambridge here. 2 A*'s, 7A's and 2 B's at GCSE, bear in mind I went to a bad comp, so I would imagine my grades would be a bit of a cause for concern if I was coming from a grammar/private school.
I did quite a lot better at A level though, A*A*A aa with the A being 3 ums away from a third A*, which Cambridge were aware of because they collect UMS data, where it is available. I also have another A level on the way, needing an A to meet my offer, but I'm going for the A* :smile:
I had absolutely no work experience or exciting extra curricular, other than part time work throughout my A levels. I had done a fair bit of extra reading and was able to demonstrate this throughout the application and interview. I also sat an admissions test, which I understand is now the case for many subjects across both Oxford and Cambridge.
So in conclusion; good grades relative to your peer group is important, super-curricular knowledge (reading etc.) is important, performance at interview and in tests is important, but stuff like unrelated extracurriculars or work experience (for most subjects, I think medics are expected to do some sort of volunteering) isn't that important, as it isn't accessible for many candidates.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by gin20
Hi :smile:

I'm at Oxford studying English - I got all As and A*s at GCSE and A*A*A at A Level (The offer for humanities at Oxford is AAA , usually A*AA at Cambridge). I know a lot of people who didn't get all As at GCSE though and its definitely not a requirement, the admissions process takes into account lots of factors including how good your school is, if you come from a low socioeconomic background, disabilities etc to try and make it fairer.

As for work experience, I don't think this is a requirement for subjects apart from medicine (I didn't do any). All Oxbridge cares about is academic achievement and academic potential. If you know what subject you want to apply for, try and show in your personal statement that you're interested in it outside of the classroom. This could be work experience (e.g. doing work in a library if you're applying for humanities, or a chemistry lab if you're applying for chemistry), but equally could just be reading books to do with the subject that aren't on your school syllabus. Are you part of any school societies? Is there a school society for the subject you're applying for? If not then why not start one? - this would definitely prove you were interested in the subject !

Ultimately they want to make it as fair as possible, so you certainly wont be disadvantaged for not doing work experience as not everyone has that opportunity. Equally, your grades will be contextualised to try and even the playing field :smile:

Ah ok, Thank you, I wanted to do Law so I will try and do work experience in a solicitors
Original post by k.russell
Offer holder for natsci at Cambridge here. 2 A*'s, 7A's and 2 B's at GCSE, bear in mind I went to a bad comp, so I would imagine my grades would be a bit of a cause for concern if I was coming from a grammar/private school.
I did quite a lot better at A level though, A*A*A aa with the A being 3 ums away from a third A*, which Cambridge were aware of because they collect UMS data, where it is available. I also have another A level on the way, needing an A to meet my offer, but I'm going for the A* :smile:
I had absolutely no work experience or exciting extra curricular, other than part time work throughout my A levels. I had done a fair bit of extra reading and was able to demonstrate this throughout the application and interview. I also sat an admissions test, which I understand is now the case for many subjects across both Oxford and Cambridge.
So in conclusion; good grades relative to your peer group is important, super-curricular knowledge (reading etc.) is important, performance at interview and in tests is important, but stuff like unrelated extracurriculars or work experience (for most subjects, I think medics are expected to do some sort of volunteering) isn't that important, as it isn't accessible for many candidates.

Thank you, that was really useful :-)
I did Biology at Oxford, I had all A*s at GCSE and A*AABa at a-levels (my offer was A*AA). I didn't have any work experience, as the other posters said showing an interest in your subject outside of school work is the most important thing! 🙂 They're aware that not everyone has the same access to opportunities (some of the people I studied with had spent time at wildlife sanctuaries abroad volunteering, I could never have afforded to do something like that) so just use all the resources you have available and don't worrry about not being able to get impressive experience.
Reply 6
Original post by JasmineBA2000
Ah ok, Thank you, I wanted to do Law so I will try and do work experience in a solicitors

This would be great! But if you don't manage to get any that's fine too, I'd suggest reading some law books and writing about them inyour personal statement :smile:
Original post by Neopolitan Girl
I did Biology at Oxford, I had all A*s at GCSE and A*AABa at a-levels (my offer was A*AA). I didn't have any work experience, as the other posters said showing an interest in your subject outside of school work is the most important thing! 🙂 They're aware that not everyone has the same access to opportunities (some of the people I studied with had spent time at wildlife sanctuaries abroad volunteering, I could never have afforded to do something like that) so just use all the resources you have available and don't worrry about not being able to get impressive experience.

Ah ok

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending