Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I did AS levels in French, German, Bio and Geog. My only B was in German and this appears to be due to poor reading and listening (my marks were reading and listening 67/105, writing 81/90 and oral 75/105). I know they're not brillaint, but I was predicted an A, and could possibly get this predicted for A2 if I spoke to my teacher. I was going to drop German, but should I carry on all 4, retake the reading and listening, and work my socks off to get an A? It's AQA by the way, if that makes any difference!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimée123)
    I did AS levels in French, German, Bio and Geog. My only B was in German and this appears to be due to poor reading and listening (my marks were reading and listening 67/105, writing 81/90 and oral 75/105). I know they're not brillaint, but I was predicted an A, and could possibly get this predicted for A2 if I spoke to my teacher. I was going to drop German, but should I carry on all 4, retake the reading and listening, and work my socks off to get an A? It's AQA by the way, if that makes any difference!!!
    Just get a predicted A, you'll be allright. Im planning to carry on A-level German but do no work at all for A2, just to get an extra predicted A grade, cus i know i won't get an a for a2, so i just concentrate on the other 3 subjects.

ReputationRep:
    You need 3As:-

- anything on top of this a bonus (and possibly a waste of your time)

- anything short of this could well be a mess up (and definitely a waste of your time).

Be sure that you can secure 3As first, then think about how committed you are. I fully expect next year to be absolutely hectic and traumatic, at times. For this reason, I'm not so keen on 4 A2s - but then I'm not that committed to the 4th A2 (geog), to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Working your socks off for an extra A-Level is not advisable. (Getting AAA is all you're going to need). However, if you really have a passion for German, and enjoy the subject, then you might want to continue, but accept the fact you might not get an A. What are you planning to do at university anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I want to do geog at uni.
    I don't really want to do A2 German, I just wanted an A, because otherwise I know I can't change that B. I'd only want to retake reading and listening though, and it would mean having to go from 67/105, to at least 84/105 to get an A overall. Would this be quite hard?

ReputationRep:
    That German was very evil, though. I'm stuck in a similar situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squideye)
    That German was very evil, though. I'm stuck in a similar situation.
    very evil

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you decline your AS, resit that one German module (listening and reading) in January and try to get it up to an A. That's what i'm thinking of doing with biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Why don't you decline your AS, resit that one German module (listening and reading) in January and try to get it up to an A. That's what i'm thinking of doing with biology.
    Well I'd be out of practice with German by Jan if I didn't carry it on I reckon, plus what difference would it make to uni applications, I'd have to contact them after Jan results and told them I got higher after offers had been given out? Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'd be out of practice with German by Jan if I didn't carry it on I reckon, plus what difference would it make to uni applications, I'd have to contact them after Jan results and told them I got higher after offers had been given out? Hmm.
    I'm a fan of Meg's sneaky, sneaky approach - to be honest.

If you get your main offer for AAB, get rid of the fourth one immediately (unless you think you are a definite for AAAA)! That's what I would do.

What is your coursework/retakes situation? This is quite important, because I know several people in U6 who got snowed under between January and March - and nearly lost the plot.

ReputationRep:
    What's the point in retaking if I'm going to drop the subject though? It won't help my uni applications, because by the time I get the improved grade (if I can), it'll be too late surely? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    What's the point in retaking if I'm going to drop the subject though? It won't help my uni applications, because by the time I get the improved grade (if I can), it'll be too late surely? :confused:
    Personally, I wouldn't want a B on my CV for future job applications. That would be my reason. Plus universities like the LSE often make their decisions at the end of March.

Or if you want, just decline it and pretend it doesn't exist.

A few options:

1. Cash in all of them. Drop German.
    2. Cash in German, get AAAA prediction, carry on subject to A2.
    3. Decline German and get AAAA prediction, whilst carrying on subject to A2.
    4. Decline German and get AAAA prediction. Drop German after uni offers.
    5. Decline German, re-take to get an AS A.
    6. Decline German, pretend it doesn't exist.

I'd go for 4.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.