The Student Room Group

Land Economy Cambridge Or Management Warwick Or Informational Management UCL

Hello, I got offers from Cambridge for land economy, warwick for management and UCl for info management, i am unsure of which one of these universities to go to as i want to do something related to finance in the near future. Which one of these courses would be better and would allow me to earn more money? FYI: cambridge is cambridge so it is very hard to ressist however people think LE is a joke and for ppl who cant get into Cambridge econ
also london is very expensive and coventry is regarded as one of the most dangerous cities in the UK
Thank you guys
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by John30
Hello, I got offers from Cambridge for land economy, wariwck for management and UCl for international management, i am unsure of which one of these universities to go to as i want to do something related to finance in the near future. Which one of these courses would be better and would allow me to earn more money? FYI: cambridge is cambridge so it is very hard to ressist however people think LE is a joke and for ppl who cant get into Cambridge econ Thank you guys

Land Economy is not a joke. The course is very interesting and touches on many facets that would serve you very well in the business world... Cambridge is still Cambridge. People in the industry know this and they know that it isn't a joke.

@Doonesbury will know more about Land Economy I think.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by wolfmoon88
Land Economy is not a joke. The course is very interesting and touches on many facets that would serve you very well in the business world... Cambridge is still Cambridge. People in the industry know this and they know that it isn't a joke.

so would it be a better course for me compared to the courses at UCL or Warwick
Reply 3
UCL
Original post by John30
so would it be a better course for me compared to the courses at UCL or Warwick

In my opinion, yes, because it touches on bits of law and finance as well. Businesses want well-rounded people who know about many different aspects of business. Land Economy would make you more employable than a simple management degree. Of course, it depends on the internships you do and the work experience you gain outside of the course as well but Land Economy is a good academic base.
Reply 5
Original post by John30
Hello, I got offers from Cambridge for land economy, warwick for management and UCl for info management, i am unsure of which one of these universities to go to as i want to do something related to finance in the near future. Which one of these courses would be better and would allow me to earn more money? FYI: cambridge is cambridge so it is very hard to ressist however people think LE is a joke and for ppl who cant get into Cambridge econ
also london is very expensive and coventry is regarded as one of the most dangerous cities in the UK
Thank you guys

@Doonesbury will know more about Land Economy I think.

100% agree with Wolfie.

It's an excellent course, and one I'd have considered back in my day (if I had the grades...).

However, it is NOT a business management course in the way that the others are.

Another variation to consider would be to move to Management Studies (a Part II only course) after completing Part I LandEc. I.e. for your 3rd Year.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/management-studies

You would decide upon this later, not now. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by gress12
UCL

info management at Ucl has an emphasis on IT which makes it less business ish?
Reply 7
Original post by Doonesbury
100% agree with Wolfie.

It's an excellent course, and one I'd have considered back in my day (if I had the grades...).

However, it is NOT a business management course in the way that the others are.

Another variation to consider would be to move to Management Studies (a Part II only course) after completing Part I LandEc. I.e. for your 3rd Year.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/management-studies

Posted from TSR Mobile

does this mean i graduate in 4 years or 3 if i do the management course
Reply 8
In my opinion, yes, because it touches on bits of law and finance as well. Businesses want well-rounded people who know about many different aspects of business. Land Economy would make you more employable than a simple management degree. Of course, it depends on the internships you do and the work experience you gain outside of the course as well but Land Economy is a good academic base.

do you know what kind of jobs people go into after they graduate. Also, wouldn't they prefer eg an management of economics major rather than land econ
Original post by JohnGreek
Land Economy is for rowers and other near-professional athletes who weren't good enough to get a proper degree.

Wow...
Reply 10
Land Economy is for rowers and other near-professional athletes who weren't good enough to get a proper degree.

LE is harder to get in than hard courses at other good unis such as UCL econ and warwick econ etc
Reply 11
Original post by John30
does this mean i graduate in 4 years or 3 if i do the management course

Usually 3. Management is a 1 year course. Most people do it instead of the 3rd year of their original course.

But you can also do it after completing your original course. There might be SFE funding issues with that though... I'm not sure how it works.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Usually 3. Management is a 1 year course. Most people do it instead of the 3rd year of their original course.

But you can also do it after completing your original course. There might be SFE funding issues with that though... I'm not sure how it works.

Posted from TSR Mobile

so you would graduate with a dual degree or something???
Original post by John30
do you know what kind of jobs people go into after they graduate. Also, wouldn't they prefer eg an management of economics major rather than land econ

Finance, Real Estate, Business, Law, Academia, Politics etc...

Not necessarily. The employment market is over saturated with people who have graduated from a management or an economics degree. Employers would be looking for someone who is different, who has the credentials, who stands out. Studying or having studied Land Economy at Cambridge stands out.
Reply 14
Finance, Real Estate, Business, Law, Academia, Politics etc...

Not necessarily. The employment market is over saturated with people who have graduated from a management or an economics degree. Employers would be looking for someone who is different, who has the credentials, who stands out. Studying or having studied Land Economy at Cambridge stands out.

i heard that there is a lot of discrimination from the people who are studying actual economics at cambridge
Reply 15

Rubbish.

The acceptance rate is 20.3%, on a par with Medicine and lower than Law or Natural Sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by John30
i heard that there is a lot of discrimination from the people who are studying actual economics at cambridge

#banter not discrimination.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by John30

So? they aren't the people hiring you. They might joke about it but you will get a job in the future and can be successful if all goes well.

Rubbish.

The acceptance rate is 20.3%, on a par with Medicine and lower than Law or Natural Sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wonder how many people apply thinking that it is a joke subject so they would have a better chance of getting in...
Reply 18
Original post by John30
so you would graduate with a dual degree or something???

Everyone graduates from Cambridge with a BA. The subject isn't stated on your certificate. (And you get an MA 3 years later just for fun :wink: )

But your transcript lists the details.

http://www.camdata.admin.cam.ac.uk/structure-undergraduate-courses-cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Everyone graduates from Cambridge with a BA. The subject isn't stated on your certificate. (And you get an MA 3 years later just for fun :wink: )

But your transcript lists the details.

http://www.camdata.admin.cam.ac.uk/structure-undergraduate-courses-cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha thank you appreciate the info

Quick Reply

Latest