The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Course transfer to Law within first weeks of school from Politics and IR

I am offer holder for Politics and International Relations and will be matriculating in LSE this September. I am very excited about it. However, after doing recent internships (law based), I came to a realisation that I may not want to pursue this degree - I am thinking of doing law instead. Could I ask perhaps,

1. LSE's policy on course transfer within the first few weeks of school? (in terms of how flexible and open minded they are to the switch)

2. The difficulty in changing from my course to a highly competitive law course?

3. The course fee differences between Law and my current course? (if possible, or perhaps information about the law course fees)

Your input would go a long way because if I am unable to I would consider local options instead haha. But I do highly hope that LSE could allow a course transfer because it's my first choice.

Thank you.
Original post by musicalmystery
I am offer holder for Politics and International Relations and will be matriculating in LSE this September. I am very excited about it. However, after doing recent internships (law based), I came to a realisation that I may not want to pursue this degree - I am thinking of doing law instead. Could I ask perhaps,

1. LSE's policy on course transfer within the first few weeks of school? (in terms of how flexible and open minded they are to the switch)

2. The difficulty in changing from my course to a highly competitive law course?

3. The course fee differences between Law and my current course? (if possible, or perhaps information about the law course fees)

Your input would go a long way because if I am unable to I would consider local options instead haha. But I do highly hope that LSE could allow a course transfer because it's my first choice.

Thank you.

1. It depends very much on the departments. The departments are all quite distinct; and it is nothing like the American system where you apply to the college, and then can move between departments. You got accepted based on your application to that degree program, and thus it will be up to the two departments to decide.

2. This makes your case weaker, sadly... the law course is, as you say, highly competitive, and they may consider it unfair to allow you into the program outside of the usual application procedure.

3. If you're a British student, none (guessing you're not, as you mentioned 'local options' ). I shouldn't think there will be different fees for international students, either.

Here is my advice: You need to get in touch with the Law department ASAP. Keep your options open; don't tell the Politics and IR departments you want to move; but ask the Law Dept. You need to email or call them very soon if you are to have any chance of a yes!

Good luck! :smile:

P.S. After writing the above, I googled the LSE policy (I'm assuming you did this?) and it says they do consider transfers for current undergrads, but it's at the School's concession... see for yourself here.

My above advice still applies!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Agree with above, but as law is so competitive, then it is likely to be full.
Original post by antisocialsci
1. It depends very much on the departments. The departments are all quite distinct; and it is nothing like the American system where you apply to the college, and then can move between departments. You got accepted based on your application to that degree program, and thus it will be up to the two departments to decide.

2. This makes your case weaker, sadly... the law course is, as you say, highly competitive, and they may consider it unfair to allow you into the program outside of the usual application procedure.

3. If you're a British student, none (guessing you're not, as you mentioned 'local options' ). I shouldn't think there will be different fees for international students, either.

Here is my advice: You need to get in touch with the Law department ASAP. Keep your options open; don't tell the Politics and IR departments you want to move; but ask the Law Dept. You need to email or call them very soon if you are to have any chance of a yes!

Good luck! :smile:

P.S. After writing the above, I googled the LSE policy (I'm assuming you did this?) and it says they do consider transfers for current undergrads, but it's at the School's concession... see for yourself here.

My above advice still applies!

Thank you for the advice!! I have already emailed them but all they replied with was the same link that you provided. haha I guess they are unable to approve or disprove my appeal as of yet. Alternatively, do you know of anyone who has transferred to Law from another undergrad degree in LSE?
so, that presumably means they are unable to handle requests until you're a registered student there. I don't, sorry!
Hey there! I actually study at LSE. What the above poster said pretty much is correct, as far as I'm aware. I'd reccomend talking to the department if you're ever uncertain: they're super useful, in my experiences! On a side note, I have a YouTube channel where I talk about university and will be uploading videos over summer about coming to LSE so it'd be worth checking out and/or subbing so you can see when they come out :smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cSyAR9bXAw
Original post by musicalmystery
Thank you for the advice!! I have already emailed them but all they replied with was the same link that you provided. haha I guess they are unable to approve or disprove my appeal as of yet. Alternatively, do you know of anyone who has transferred to Law from another undergrad degree in LSE?

LSE is generally quite flexible about course transfers, more so than other unis I'd say. You should speak to your academic adviser and departmental tutor during the first weeks of term about switching. If you have good reasons (i.e. can demonstrate your interest in law) and the course isn't too full then you should have no problem getting in. You should also be prepared to effectively re-write your personal statement, since you will need this to explain your course transfer decision when submitting your application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending