The Student Room Group

Winter Vacation Scheme Firm Options

Hello!

So I'm a penultimate year Politics student, really hoping to get into commercial law.
I didn't have any luck getting a vac scheme this recruitment cycle, I was rejected either at the initial application stage or the video interview stage (Clifford Chance, Simmons & Simmons and Baker McKenzie all rejected me post VI).

Instead of doing a vac scheme this summer, I'll be doing an Advisory internship with BDO, in their Tax Dispute Resolution department.

I got ABB at A-Level and I really feel this is pushing me back. I am currently on track for a 1st this year, but got a low 2:1 in first year.

Does anyone have tips for what type of firms I should be targeting for Winter Vac Scheme applications? The firms that I liked/felt at ease at were American firms such as Latham & Watkins, but I feel as if my credentials would stop me from even being considered.

Any thoughts?

Thank you :tongue:
Reply 1
Thank you for responding! :smile:
In terms of extracurriculars, I am Head of Events for a society, I was the Campus Ambassador for Aspiring Solicitors and Coordinator for an International Relations conference.

I did a week of work experience at Mayer Brown last October and also with McMillan Williams Solicitors in July.

Do you think American/MC firms are a long shot for me?

Original post by J-SP
Have a look at the Chambers Student Guide website for minimum academic requirements.

The combination of ABB and low 2.1 grades in your first year might put off some firms, especially if you are aiming for the top end of the market with US firms. They might look at your winter scheme application differently if you do get a first by the end of this academic year though.

What's the rest of your application look like (extra curriculars/work experience)? Your internship this summer will help, but may create a question of why law, so you'd need some evidence to balance this out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachlily
Hello!

So I'm a penultimate year Politics student, really hoping to get into commercial law.
I didn't have any luck getting a vac scheme this recruitment cycle, I was rejected either at the initial application stage or the video interview stage (Clifford Chance, Simmons & Simmons and Baker McKenzie all rejected me post VI).

Instead of doing a vac scheme this summer, I'll be doing an Advisory internship with BDO, in their Tax Dispute Resolution department.

I got ABB at A-Level and I really feel this is pushing me back. I am currently on track for a 1st this year, but got a low 2:1 in first year.

Does anyone have tips for what type of firms I should be targeting for Winter Vac Scheme applications? The firms that I liked/felt at ease at were American firms such as Latham & Watkins, but I feel as if my credentials would stop me from even being considered.

Any thoughts?

Thank you :tongue:

When applying for TCs, I'd say it's always good to have a safety firm and some "moonshot" firms. It’s just like UCAS applications.

Aim for a few MC or American firms that you like, but also make sure that you have a backup plan. That way you'll cover all the bases.

Wouldn’t say that the top firms will reject you straight out, but it might be harder to get an interview depending on the strength of other applications in your cycle. There’s nothing you can do about other people but you can try to give yourself a boost in other areas.

The 4 typical questions every recruiter looks out for:
Why Law
Why Commercial Law
Why You
Why Us

Okay so based on what you say, maybe you think that your 'why you' section is a bit lacking. That’s fine. You can make up for it by showing that you're very keen to join a particular firm (ie the 'Why Us' section). And that doesn’t mean that you write "I'm very keen to join XYZ" in your cover letter. Never works.

Proper research is key. Find out what transactions the firm has advised on and think about why these deals excite you. Look up the partner who did the deal, has he/she done other interesting deals as well? What is the overall business strategy for the firm in the next few years? Plunge into emerging markets, shift the focus to Asia? And what are the advantages of such a strategy as compared to other firms?

You say you like the atmosphere at Latham. Then go find out what their unique strengths are (or what they believe their unique strengths to be). Is it high yield bonds? or private equity? Did you read about the IPO they did for budget carrier Wizz Air?

If you know all these things and convey them across in your application, then even if there's another candidate who has better grades than yours, I think a recruiter will still be keen to hear what you have to say at the interviews because you have clearly demonstrated your interest in the firm (ie the 'Why Us' question). Let’s be honest. Each firm thinks they are different and they want you to tell them why they're different. Who wouldnt want a potential employee who displays a great amount of enthusiasm for their own firm?

Question though, dont you have an extra year to prepare since non law students typically apply in the third year?

Cheers,
Tom
Reply 3
Original post by Tommy Veluoso
When applying for TCs, I'd say it's always good to have a safety firm and some "moonshot" firms. It’s just like UCAS applications.

Aim for a few MC or American firms that you like, but also make sure that you have a backup plan. That way you'll cover all the bases.

Wouldn’t say that the top firms will reject you straight out, but it might be harder to get an interview depending on the strength of other applications in your cycle. There’s nothing you can do about other people but you can try to give yourself a boost in other areas.

The 4 typical questions every recruiter looks out for:
Why Law
Why Commercial Law
Why You
Why Us

Okay so based on what you say, maybe you think that your 'why you' section is a bit lacking. That’s fine. You can make up for it by showing that you're very keen to join a particular firm (ie the 'Why Us' section). And that doesn’t mean that you write "I'm very keen to join XYZ" in your cover letter. Never works.

Proper research is key. Find out what transactions the firm has advised on and think about why these deals excite you. Look up the partner who did the deal, has he/she done other interesting deals as well? What is the overall business strategy for the firm in the next few years? Plunge into emerging markets, shift the focus to Asia? And what are the advantages of such a strategy as compared to other firms?

You say you like the atmosphere at Latham. Then go find out what their unique strengths are (or what they believe their unique strengths to be). Is it high yield bonds? or private equity? Did you read about the IPO they did for budget carrier Wizz Air?

If you know all these things and convey them across in your application, then even if there's another candidate who has better grades than yours, I think a recruiter will still be keen to hear what you have to say at the interviews because you have clearly demonstrated your interest in the firm (ie the 'Why Us' question). Let’s be honest. Each firm thinks they are different and they want you to tell them why they're different. Who wouldnt want a potential employee who displays a great amount of enthusiasm for their own firm?

Question though, dont you have an extra year to prepare since non law students typically apply in the third year?

Cheers,
Tom

Thank you so much!
And I could apply when I've graduated but I'd prefer to do vacation schemes and find a TC before I graduate.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending