butterflyalwaysx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
i am doing Education, Families & Households, Beliefs in Society & Crime and deviance & Theory & Methods!

as this is the new specification, do you think the grade boundaries will be lower? or is that not a thing?

also, does anyone know any predictions for the exams? i'm dreading green/state crime most!!
yellowcar1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How has your revision been? do you think youre prepared for the AS content hows the A2 content coming along?
I'm actually scared about sociology
rue24
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm doing the same spec as you as. I hope that the grade boundaries will be lower since we are the first to do the exam. Im dreding the family paper with media in it :?

(Original post by butterflyalwaysx)
i am doing Education, Families & Households, Beliefs in Society & Crime and deviance & Theory & Methods!

as this is the new specification, do you think the grade boundaries will be lower? or is that not a thing?

also, does anyone know any predictions for the exams? i'm dreading green/state crime most!!
butterflyalwaysx
Rep:
?
(Original post by rue24)
I'm doing the same spec as you as. I hope that the grade boundaries will be lower since we are the first to do the exam. Im dreding the family paper with media in it :?
last year's AS grade boundaries were sort of low, so i hope this year's will be too! i doubt they'll want to including difficult content this year as it's the 1st year, but who knows.
i struggle with aspects of all the units & my revision isn't going too well.
i do families and beliefs instead of media, but i'm sure you will be okay

how are you revising content for theories and methods? because i find that the most challenging!
rue24
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hopefully the grade boundaries will be low and the questions won't be as hard as we think they are going to be. In terms of revising I'm doing past papers and flash cards to help me remember key sociologists. Im using my notes from last year as well . If you memrise use that it is very useful

last year's AS grade boundaries were sort of low, so i hope this year's will be too! i doubt they'll want to including difficult content this year as it's the 1st year, but who knows.
i struggle with aspects of all the units & my revision isn't going too well.
i do families and beliefs instead of media, but i'm sure you will be okay

how are you revising content for theories and methods? because i find that the most challenging!
Moonview Highway
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I'm doing the same topics as you. Honestly, I don't think any of us can predict what will come up - however my teacher has been saying that she would be surprised if they didn't have something on the new areas of the spec like globalisation. How is your revision going for sociology in general?
butterflyalwaysx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moonview Highway)
I'm doing the same topics as you. Honestly, I don't think any of us can predict what will come up - however my teacher has been saying that she would be surprised if they didn't have something on the new areas of the spec like globalisation. How is your revision going for sociology in general?
that's true! and it's going well, i think. i haven't started revising for families and education yet as i have been stuck on some topics for beliefs.
i feel like i'm going to end up revising the topics for the first exam & then leaving beliefs & families for the week before the exam :/
butterflyalwaysx
Rep:
?
(Original post by rue24)
Hopefully the grade boundaries will be low and the questions won't be as hard as we think they are going to be. In terms of revising I'm doing past papers and flash cards to help me remember key sociologists. Im using my notes from last year as well . If you memrise use that it is very useful
i hope they will be too, fingers crossed! and ah that's a good idea!
Moonview Highway
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
that's true! and it's going well, i think. i haven't started revising for families and education yet as i have been stuck on some topics for beliefs.
i feel like i'm going to end up revising the topics for the first exam & then leaving beliefs & families for the week before the exam :/
If you like I could perhaps help you out with some of the topics you're stuck on? It would help with my own revision to explain it out as well.

I think the best thing to do is just spread out your revision equally (or as much as possible) especially with all the depth and breadth of the topics. Just keep going back over it, maybe you could tick them off as you go. I don't know if you use flashcards already but they help so much with memorising lots of studies and when there are quite a lot of sub-topics (like w/c or e/m underachievement) as well as mindmaps!
butterflyalwaysx
Rep:
?
If you like I could perhaps help you out with some of the topics you're stuck on? It would help with my own revision to explain it out as well.

I think the best thing to do is just spread out your revision equally (or as much as possible) especially with all the depth and breadth of the topics. Just keep going back over it, maybe you could tick them off as you go. I don't know if you use flashcards already but they help so much with memorising lots of studies and when there are quite a lot of sub-topics (like w/c or e/m underachievement) as well as mindmaps!
yeah, to have some help would be a lifesaver!!! similarly, if you needed any help with any topics i could help too!
i use mindmaps but i don't use flash cards because i can memorise sociologists quite easily
Moonview Highway
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yeah, to have some help would be a lifesaver!!! similarly, if you needed any help with any topics i could help too!
i use mindmaps but i don't use flash cards because i can memorise sociologists quite easily
Cool, thank you! What topics in beliefs exactly? I don't know if you want to PM me so we could talk there or post them here, I don't mind
wanderingpanda
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I'm doing the same!! Beliefs in Society for some reason is just so tricky to revise like out of all of them, it just seems to drag the most! I've started with families and thats going well and I've read over education. I'm just mentally praying for low grade boundaries... lets hope theyre nice for the first year (and green/state crime is the worst!!)
yellowcar1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by wanderingpanda)
I'm doing the same!! Beliefs in Society for some reason is just so tricky to revise like out of all of them, it just seems to drag the most! I've started with families and thats going well and I've read over education. I'm just mentally praying for low grade boundaries... lets hope theyre nice for the first year (and green/state crime is the worst!!)
You know how the AS had their education paper today, is there a possibility that the questions that came on that paper wont be repeated on the a level one?
wanderingpanda
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by revision1)
You know how the AS had their education paper today, is there a possibility that the questions that came on that paper wont be repeated on the a level one?
hmmm I don't think they will do the exact same questions incase someone leaks or tells other people the questions they had in the AS paper. Exam boards are pretty stingey like that lol but maybe we should find out what topics came up at least... just to be safe
vikkiii
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes i agree beliefs in society is so hard to revise i feel like i dont know what im doing, i need a list of like alll the possible essays and all the topics i need to cover because i hate the textbook it makes me feel overwhelmed! i also find it hard to have examples, i generally get the basic theory down but my teacher always says i need examples and studies, but i dont know any
Moonview Highway
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by vikkiii)
yes i agree beliefs in society is so hard to revise i feel like i dont know what im doing, i need a list of like alll the possible essays and all the topics i need to cover because i hate the textbook it makes me feel overwhelmed! i also find it hard to have examples, i generally get the basic theory down but my teacher always says i need examples and studies, but i dont know any
I'm surprised a lot of people on here don't like beliefs, I thought it was one of the better topics especially in comparison to crime and deviance. As for examples I would look in the news, plus with beliefs there is so much scope to mention fundamentalism, terrorist attacks recently in society and even Trump, e.g. Bruce and cultural defence with ethnic minorities, i.e. the Muslim country ban.
vikkiii
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm surprised a lot of people on here don't like beliefs, I thought it was one of the better topics especially in comparison to crime and deviance. As for examples I would look in the news, plus with beliefs there is so much scope to mention fundamentalism, terrorist attacks recently in society and even Trump, e.g. Bruce and cultural defence with ethnic minorities, i.e. the Muslim country ban.
do yu have any condensed notes or example essays? or a list of topics that could be essays? i wish i could be like you i hate beliefs, havent even looked at crime or theory n methods yet eek.
Joseph....
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does anyone know what the new spec has changed? In terms of exam questions. For example for Households, are two mark questions still there? Are 4 mark questions still there?.... I'm taking Education, Households, Beliefs, Crime and Research methods. So if anyone could let me know what's changed in terms of exam questions with those units. That would be much appreciated, thank you
Moonview Highway
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by vikkiii)
do yu have any condensed notes or example essays? or a list of topics that could be essays? i wish i could be like you i hate beliefs, havent even looked at crime or theory n methods yet eek.
Well in our class we had powerpoints our teacher gave us and we annotated around them, then we would sometimes add extra detail to our notes from the Webb Books. I don't know if you have the Webb Books 1 + 2 but they all have example essays in there, they have practice questions for every topic and you can use the OCR sample essays on their website.
princesspat99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
guys i'm hoping social change comes up, i hate beliefs so much! any predictions for paper1,paper 2 and paper3 aqa? i feel globalisation may come and I'm dreading unless its not a 30 marker?

last year for beliefs secularisation and science thing came up! and 2015 it was postmoderny spirits etc and reasons why people join sects
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?