Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are Exam Boards Buisnesses? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Are they in it for the money? Or are they non-profit organisations?
    Of course either way, they must be heavily moderated, but which one is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Are they in it for the money? Or are they non-profit organisations?
    Of course either way, they must be heavily moderated, but which one is it?
    money.

ReputationRep:
    Seems a bit dodogy doesn't it? Maybe this is also why results are going up - because schools will pick the exam board that gives the most As? just a thought!

Scandal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Seems a bit dodogy doesn't it? Maybe this is also why results are going up - because schools will pick the exam board that gives the most As? just a thought!

Scandal!
    In the words of my chemistry teacher, 'we switched from AQA to OCr as OCR results require less work and thinking...'. Says it all really!

ReputationRep:

Scandal!
    Ofcourse this is the case, thats what my teachers told me anyways :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think there should only be one.

they are charities

ReputationRep:
    actually no.......they're all non-profit organisations, with the exception of Edexcel, who run for profit

ReputationRep:
    Yup, exam boards don't want to make their exams more difficult because then it means less people would use them.

(Original post by mik1a)
    So do I! But then it'd have to be government run or something, and do you think they can really be arsed?

they are registered charities......................

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    The disadvantage of having just one is that there will not be any competition so they can basiaclly do what they want- ie not bother to improve effeciency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enlargedscrotum)
    The disadvantage of having just one is that there will not be any competition so they can basiaclly do what they want- ie not bother to improve effeciency.
    but in the current case does competition lead to improving service or lowering standards?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.