The Student Room Group

Higher English Exam 2017

Hey guys,
I made a huge mistake in today's literature paper.. I was rushing and panicking about time to write my essay, so I looked at the "prose" questions when I was supposed to look at the "drama" questions.. So essentially , I wrote an essay on a play but for a question on a novel.. and I am so annoyed because I wrote what seemed like a good analytical essay. I was happy with it and put so much work into it for this exam, and I made such a stupid, silly mistake..
Does anyone know what will happen? Like how many marks will I lose or how badly will I be penalised???
Reply 1
If you answer the wrong question you lose 10 marks so you could still pass your essay
Reply 2
So I will automatically lose 10 marks straight away?? Even as it was just a mistake?
Original post by Rebecca0712
So I will automatically lose 10 marks straight away?? Even as it was just a mistake?

The whole point of the essay is to show how much knowledge you have on the text. As I did a play for Higher English, we have to talk about things like "stage direction" and such, and I'm guessing you didn't talk about play techniques. Although, you are still putting your knowledge into an essay to answer the question; you yourself said that you felt it was good.

The marking for essay isn't as straight forward as other marking; markers mark it out of the structure. One of the main things of writing an essay is to show your understanding - that'll probably get you at LEAST 5 marks. There's also a good layout and "English" mark, so as long as you sounded like you knew what you were talking about and with good grammar etc, you should get some marks.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The RUAE this year was quite nice (I think), and it's not as if you messed up on your poems.

Good luck and don't worry! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lilligant22
The whole point of the essay is to show how much knowledge you have on the text. As I did a play for Higher English, we have to talk about things like "stage direction" and such, and I'm guessing you didn't talk about play techniques. Although, you are still putting your knowledge into an essay to answer the question; you yourself said that you felt it was good.

The marking for essay isn't as straight forward as other marking; markers mark it out of the structure. One of the main things of writing an essay is to show your understanding - that'll probably get you at LEAST 5 marks. There's also a good layout and "English" mark, so as long as you sounded like you knew what you were talking about and with good grammar etc, you should get some marks.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The RUAE this year was quite nice (I think), and it's not as if you messed up on your poems.

Good luck and don't worry! :smile:

Thank you for your reply! Yes that's very true that they look for knowledge and understanding about the play, however what's bothering me is I was stupid enough and didn't even read the question properly and looked at the wrong section, so i wrote the totally wrong essay, which I am guessing they will heavily mark down... so I'm guessing the maximum marks I'll be able to get is 8 or something??

Yes I feel that poems were good, and yes the RUAE was nice this year however I don't want to assume that just incase.... like I am now really really panicking xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending