Littleonezz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
During semiconservative replication, what is the role of DNA polymerase?
Does it catalyse the formation of hydrogen bonds between the template and new strand of DNA or does it catalyse the formation of phosphodiester bonds between nucleotides?
Any clarity would help, thanks.
chocochip_
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I thought it does both lol
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Littleonezz)
During semiconservative replication, what is the role of DNA polymerase?
Does it catalyse the formation of hydrogen bonds between the template and new strand of DNA or does it catalyse the formation of phosphodiester bonds between nucleotides?
Any clarity would help, thanks.
As you know, DNA replication is extremely complicated and there are several different DNA polymerases. The answer that you are expected to give might be what your exam board/teacher has decided is the best simplification.

To my mind, the clearest answer in principle is that DNA polymerase(s) catalyse the formation of the phosphodiester bonds between bases in the growing chain. This facilitates hydrogen bonding between the template and new base pairs. (the bases still have to be compatible according to the A-T/G-C pairing rule of course).

Is that helpful? (ignore it if it isn't!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (10)
6.02%
They've been reasonable (68)
40.96%
Not feeling great... (44)
26.51%
They are TERRIBLE! (44)