Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Medicine In Manchester: Do I need a desktop or a laptop? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ok, my friend wanted me to post this up:

He's doing Medicine in Manchester and was wondering if he should get a laptop or desktop (by desktop, he means a small desktop shuttle x system www.shuttle.com).

He understands that he'll have to move about alot when he gets his hospital placements, and perhaps a laptop would be more convenient to work on. However, he also really likes fast systems, good games and excellent performance which are what desktops offer.

Also, don't be fooled by these shuttle x desktops system, although they are small and carriable, the LCD monitor, keyboard and speakers might raise a problem with portability - but he generally wants one to save room and to look cool. He also likes working on his bed, and a laptop can offer this. So many pros and cons balancing each other, he's not sure what to get.

Another thing is, his budget is £1000, but obviously paying less the better/preferred (for £500 u can get a supreme desktop!)

What are your opinions?

P.S. This is more of a general chat not computer chat since it's both subject based and computer based.

ReputationRep:
    Why not spend £600 on a nice shutte system and buy a second hand PII based laptop that way you get the best of both worlds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResidentEvil)
    Another thing is, his budget is £1000, but obviously paying less the better/preferred (for £500 u can get a supreme desktop!)
    Well his intensive clinical attachmentsa re likely to be in year 3 onwards so why not settle for a cheapish desktop now and buy a laptop a few years later?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.