The Student Room Group

What todo with a 3rd?

OK so I'm being preemptive here, I'll lay it out. Studying Physics degree. Now I have a medical condition that tends to impact exam performance adversely unfortunately modules are weighted towards exam performance. So here it is: Coursework-actual proper coursework (not class tests) isn't an issue infact I consistently do well in it: ranging on average from 2:1-1st's. This year if you averaged my non test/exam based marks it's gotta be over 70 of not 80%. However my second year involved far more tests and whilst I got some form of concessions generally I was told about class tests "if you sat it and got a mark, we prefer not to do anything to it" so cue just getting a 2:2 as I didn't have cw marks to help boost my mark (infact mostly it dragged it thanks to class tests). Now at end of 3rd year doing my exams I look forward at the next 10 days knowing further in I get the stress will make the condition worse. If I fail an exam, I'd hope to be able to retake as if for the first time so long as I've submitted a claim. However my concern is if my performance is (and so far it has been every year) impacted and I end up with a 3rd instead of a 2:2 because if I don't fail a module I'm stuck with the mark, (if some miracle occurs I'd love a 2:1 but I'm pretty resigned that's not happening). I have offers for Msc courses (where tests are less of a thing and coursework appears to be worth larger amounts of modules and tests aren't all clumped) however worst case scenario, anyone know what todo with a 3rd are there ways of Idk ways of topping it up with a course so then MSc becomes an option or? :/ I think this is the correct forum for this.
Original post by extermin8or

Work hard at whatever needs working on and don't get a 3rd, or get a 3rd and then get a job. You are over-thinking how tolerant the world is once you have completed your undergraduate degree.
Original post by threeportdrift
Work hard at whatever needs working on and don't get a 3rd, or get a 3rd and then get a job. You are over-thinking how tolerant the world is once you have completed your undergraduate degree.

I was simply wondering if in worst case scenario there was a way todo that. Working hard isn't my problem, I can work as hard as I want and still get screwed over easily by something not necessarily under my control. Believe me I don't think the world is at all tolerant before or after you finish your degree.
Original post by extermin8or
I was simply wondering if in worst case scenario there was a way todo that. Working hard isn't my problem, I can work as hard as I want and still get screwed over easily by something not necessarily under my control. Believe me I don't think the world is at all tolerant before or after you finish your degree.

There is no way to top up a degree classification. Once you have graduated, that's it.
Original post by threeportdrift
There is no way to top up a degree classification. Once you have graduated, that's it.

So if you were to get a 3rd (not saying that you necessarily will, it's probably still entirely possible to get a 2:2), you have a choice between doing a masters at places that allow a 3rd but of course your options will be pretty limited as most ask for a minimum of 2:2 so you might end up going to eg Bolton or Salford unless you have some pretty impressive work experience related to physics that would substitute for degree-knowledge. The other option is to go into the world of work. You'd be very unlikely to get any graduate job that asks for 2:2/2:1 unless they are especially lenient with eg a medical condition. You may, however, be able to get a job where the degree classification is of less importance, work your way up and gain a couple years experience and then either continue with work or try for a masters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending