Is Kingswood 2 a good choice? Royal Holloway University of London

Watch
Byun.B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Kingswood 2 was my first choice because it was a single room with ensuite and I don't mind the 15 minute walk from the university but I've been seeing some horrible reviews. Is Kingswood 2 no good? I'm a really awkward person and I like to stay alone so I chose Kingswood 2 for that reason. Can anyone tell me about what Kingswood 2 is like?
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Byun.B,

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling a bit unsure about halls!

I actually lived in Kingswood 2 in first year and have designated myself as a cheerleader for it because I absolutely loved my time there. I was an international student from the States, so for me it was important that I felt at home while living in halls.

Kingswood has its own bar (8Bar9), dining hall (KW’s) and laundry facilities so it truly did feel like a home away from home. My flatmates became like family and we would all go down to the dining hall for dinner together and then spend some time relaxing in 8Bar9 before heading back to our flat to watch a movie. We even decided to live together again in second year in a house share!

Don’t worry if you’re after some alone time though, because everyone is really respectful when you want to have a quiet night in. There’s also a great nature trail right next to the halls that you can explore as well as the Air Force Memorial. Being off campus can be really good for having your own space too, because it gives you that little bit of distance between your halls and your classes, which was always nice when you need a bit of a breather. One thing that I particularly liked about being in halls was that your room really becomes your space, and .

As far as walking to campus, there is also a free shuttle bus service that runs between Kingswood and the main campus, so you always have the choice to walk or take the bus.

I hope I answered your questions, but please let me know if there was anything else you wanted to know.

Susana
Byun.B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London)
Hi Byun.B,

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling a bit unsure about halls!

I actually lived in Kingswood 2 in first year and have designated myself as a cheerleader for it because I absolutely loved my time there. I was an international student from the States, so for me it was important that I felt at home while living in halls.

Kingswood has its own bar (8Bar9), dining hall (KW’s) and laundry facilities so it truly did feel like a home away from home. My flatmates became like family and we would all go down to the dining hall for dinner together and then spend some time relaxing in 8Bar9 before heading back to our flat to watch a movie. We even decided to live together again in second year in a house share!

Don’t worry if you’re after some alone time though, because everyone is really respectful when you want to have a quiet night in. There’s also a great nature trail right next to the halls that you can explore as well as the Air Force Memorial. Being off campus can be really good for having your own space too, because it gives you that little bit of distance between your halls and your classes, which was always nice when you need a bit of a breather. One thing that I particularly liked about being in halls was that your room really becomes your space, and .

As far as walking to campus, there is also a free shuttle bus service that runs between Kingswood and the main campus, so you always have the choice to walk or take the bus.

I hope I answered your questions, but please let me know if there was anything else you wanted to know.

Susana
Hi Susana,

Thank you so much for you reply but I'm still unsure about Kingswood 2. I'm also an international student and I found this site where I read reviews and they're almost all horrible. Also someone mentioned something about the area not being safe to walk at night which is really scary. I'm so confused but I've already accepted the Kingswood 2 offer.
username2404923
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've got Founders accommodation for 2017/18. I know someone who lives at Kingswood currently, he said that the rooms aren't the best, however, you get what you pay for. He did say that the people there are really nice though and there's more of a community feel so I wouldn't worry about the people, you should get along with them fine. We're all in the same boat, we're all a bit unsure about it but it will be fine when we get there in September. Hope this helped, good luck.
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Byun.B)
Hi Susana,

Thank you so much for you reply but I'm still unsure about Kingswood 2. I'm also an international student and I found this site where I read reviews and they're almost all horrible. Also someone mentioned something about the area not being safe to walk at night which is really scary. I'm so confused but I've already accepted the Kingswood 2 offer.
Hi Byun,

I definitely understand feeling unsure, especially moving to a new country. I personally never had any issues with safety walking over to campus. The campus bus runs to Kingswood really regularly until past midnight now, and the SSHH Bus runs regularly on SU nights until quite late, so if you did want to avoid the walk during the evenings you can do so easily. Campus security is always around too, so if you had any issues they're just a phone call away.

Another thing to note is that if you aren't happy with your halls, you have the Residential Support Team to help you out with any problems you might be having, or you can ask to be put onto a list for room swapping. I really hope that you find Kingswood as nice a place to live as I did. Some of my best memories and best friends were made there, so I honestly recommend it so much.

Where are you moving from?

Susana
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.69%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.98%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.81%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.17%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (65)
26.32%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.03%

Watched Threads