?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Please share tips on how to achieve top grades in Eco
Zystra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Remember to use diagrams whenever you can to help make your point such as AS/AD diagrams. These will help you pick up extra marks and will get you closer to an A*
Arm the homelsss
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For high marks on 25 mark questions, you need to fully develop two analysis points (one micro, one macro for paper 3) by identifying a relevant issue, explaining it, using examples, quoting data, using economic theory and a chain of reasoning supported with a diagram where possible. Evaluate each of your analysis points fully, using a chain of reasoning again and data where possible to support your evaluation. Finally, write a conclusion in which you make a reasoned judgement.
Crystal_M
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zystra)
Remember to use diagrams whenever you can to help make your point such as AS/AD diagrams. These will help you pick up extra marks and will get you closer to an A*
Thank you so MUCH
Crystal_M
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arm the homelsss)
For high marks on 25 mark questions, you need to fully develop two analysis points (one micro, one macro for paper 3) by identifying a relevant issue, explaining it, using examples, quoting data, using economic theory and a chain of reasoning supported with a diagram where possible. Evaluate each of your analysis points fully, using a chain of reasoning again and data where possible to support your evaluation. Finally, write a conclusion in which you make a reasoned judgement.
Thank you so MUCH
parkinson98
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does anyone know what past papers/ specification papers i could use for exam practice??? Edexcel A 2015

(Original post by Crystal_M)
Chidzz
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does anyone know how many points to make for the 25 marker on Paper 1 and 2? Usually I did 4 but my teacher said that Edexcel are looking for quality (depth) rather than quantity.
ellenmcmenzie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How do you use 'chain of reasoning' really well? Please could someone give me an example as I can never pick up marks for this
Zystra
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ellenmcmenzie)
How do you use 'chain of reasoning' really well? Please could someone give me an example as I can never pick up marks for this
gonna keep this short. For this example let's day the question is saying what effects Inflation can have. Inflation is increased by a rise in government spending which means things are more expensive for the British public. This causes less people to spend money on expensive goods which leads to some businesses cutting costs by making staff redundant which is likely to cause unemployment.
ellenmcmenzie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zystra)
gonna keep this short. For this example let's day the question is saying what effects Inflation can have. Inflation is increased by a rise in government spending which means things are more expensive for the British public. This causes less people to spend money on expensive goods which leads to some businesses cutting costs by making staff redundant which is likely to cause unemployment.

Okay, so it's basically just developing your point and using 'this leads to...', right?

Thank you!
parkinson98
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ellenmcmenzie)
Best way of looking at it is Point-Cause-Consequence, depth is really important this year and just try to fully explain what your saying and how it will impact rather the economy as a whole of individuals and markets.
parkinson98
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Chidzz)
Does anyone know how many points to make for the 25 marker on Paper 1 and 2? Usually I did 4 but my teacher said that Edexcel are looking for quality (depth) rather than quantity.
I'd usually go for 3 points that you can develop well, including a good level of depth and evaluation. But would also have a small introduction that you could put in some key definitions, as well as a rounded conclusion that comes to a judgement and answers the question
Chidzz
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by parkinson98)
I'd usually go for 3 points that you can develop well, including a good level of depth and evaluation. But would also have a small introduction that you could put in some key definitions, as well as a rounded conclusion that comes to a judgement and answers the question
Thanks
JuliaM1998
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does anyone know the essay structures for all the essays (25 marks but also shorter ones)? My teacher always made us write really long essays (longer than exam ones) in practice so our essays in the exam would be concise but with micro looming over us tomorrow I realised I don't actually really know how to structure the various essay types

For instance, for a 25 marker:
Intro, with the starting sentence being a definition linked to what the question was asking about, followed by a brief summary of the issue
Paras- do we need 3 or would be 2 be fine?(depending on the question type), then do we launch right into our argument or put in some sort of topic sentence or another definition?
Conclusion: State my opinion on the matter and why referencing my previous analysis.

But I'm alsonot sure how to structure lower mark data responses- if anyone could help me out id really appreciate it
Zystra
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JuliaM1998)
Does anyone know the essay structures for all the essays (25 marks but also shorter ones)? My teacher always made us write really long essays (longer than exam ones) in practice so our essays in the exam would be concise but with micro looming over us tomorrow I realised I don't actually really know how to structure the various essay types

For instance, for a 25 marker:
Intro, with the starting sentence being a definition linked to what the question was asking about, followed by a brief summary of the issue
Paras- do we need 3 or would be 2 be fine?(depending on the question type), then do we launch right into our argument or put in some sort of topic sentence or another definition?
Conclusion: State my opinion on the matter and why referencing my previous analysis.

But I'm alsonot sure how to structure lower mark data responses- if anyone could help me out id really appreciate it
low mark questions - KAA (Knowledge, analysis/application ,evaluate) which essentially means use your own knowledge, analyse why it is happening and the outcome of the situation which is basicially chain of reasoning. Think of it as a small 20 marker.

ALWAYS define every key word, they will almost always pick up free marks for you. Use graphs in every long question and always evaluate for EVERY point you make. My teacher is the head examiner of Edexcel economics and he says to always evaluate after every para/point
username2555529
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello

I am sitting for Edexcel A2 International Advanced level next june 2018 Economics, can anyone please help me in Unit 4 past papers because I find difficulty in answering both the 15 and 20 mark questions.

Below are the following issues that I hardly need answers for knowledge and understanding:

• 1) Evaluate the effects of a significant improvement in a country’s terms of trade on the achievement of its macroeconomic objectives. (25 marks)
  • 2) Discuss the likely impact of the rapid growth of emerging and developing economies on world trade patterns.(15 marks)
  • 3) ‘China has specialized in manufacturing while India has specialized in services’

Evaluate the possible benefits of such specialization to a country or countries of your choice (25 marks)

I did a lot of research for these questions but I couldn’t find much sufficient points for my answers.

I wish to get an exemplar answer for the questions above from anyone who like to assist me.

Hope for a quicker response.

Thank you

Pabodha Marambe

ListParagraphCxi��� 0�Γ
XI IX
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Crystal_M)
One major bit of advice is, especially when evaluating, make sh*t up. People in the year above told us that in the data response questions ALL evaluations are in the extracts. This is simply not true. Combing through the economics past papers it appears as if the exam board come up with evaluations off the top of their head too.
E.g. a data response section on supermarket. Question asked about ways to increase consumer loyalty. An evaluation point was 'horse-burgers.' Nothing in the extract at all referred to the horse meat scandal.

I would strongly advise NOT picking economics a-level. You can know all the content and course syllabus but have no clue how to answer their incredibly broad and unclear questions.

Regards, a student who regrettably picked economics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.58%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (64)
9.57%
No I am happy with my course choice (378)
56.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.35%

Watched Threads