Sheffield Hallam University (SHU) - postgraduate discussion thread Watch

Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello!

We know that choosing to study a postgraduate degree can be a big decision to make, whether you're just finishing your undergraduate degree or you're returning to study after a break.

You can use this space to introduce yourself, and chat to other applicants and students about all things postgraduate at Sheffield Hallam.
Last edited by Sheffield Hallam University; 6 months ago
snehg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
anyone doing MSc nursing?
Kamal Safwan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have been issued a conditional offer for MA Animation and Digital Effects at Sheffield Hallam and I'm really happy to get enrolled since i like what they got to offer in this taught postgraduate program , but being an international student coming from a far away country I'm being very picky , so I'm investigating on how worth it is to invest my time and money into getting enrolled for this masters at SHU , I've read so much on where is the best place to do the MA in computer animation and visual/digital Effects , I've seen people recommending Bournemouth , Teesside but no one ever spoke about Sheffield hallam , I seriously like what they offer , although i got a conditional offer from Hertfordshire and i have an interview with Bournemouth on 15th June , i would prefer Sheffield Hallam over Hertfordshire's Ma animation program . But i can't judge whether its more beneficial to take this course at SHU or Bournemouth .My concerns are :1-At Bournemouth the ratio of 1 person to computer workstations is 1:1 , plus 3D programs license's and Render farms are available and in the end of the year if someone stands out of the crowd in his work he would get a chance to work in one of the industry links Bournemouth has , and on top of that Bournemouth is accredited from the Creative Skillset.so speaking about Bournemouth's advantages , what does Sheffield Hallam University has to offer in terms of all indicated services?And what are SHU links with the industry ? How likely my degree will be recognizable globally ?I would be grateful if someone who knows every detail would give them to me and make me take a definite decision to accept Sheffield Hallam's offer .Kind Regards !
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Kamal Safwan)
I have been issued a conditional offer for MA Animation and Digital Effects at Sheffield Hallam and I'm really happy to get enrolled since i like what they got to offer in this taught postgraduate program , but being an international student coming from a far away country I'm being very picky , so I'm investigating on how worth it is to invest my time and money into getting enrolled for this masters at SHU , I've read so much on where is the best place to do the MA in computer animation and visual/digital Effects , I've seen people recommending Bournemouth , Teesside but no one ever spoke about Sheffield hallam , I seriously like what they offer , although i got a conditional offer from Hertfordshire and i have an interview with Bournemouth on 15th June , i would prefer Sheffield Hallam over Hertfordshire's Ma animation program . But i can't judge whether its more beneficial to take this course at SHU or Bournemouth .My concerns are :1-At Bournemouth the ratio of 1 person to computer workstations is 1:1 , plus 3D programs license's and Render farms are available and in the end of the year if someone stands out of the crowd in his work he would get a chance to work in one of the industry links Bournemouth has , and on top of that Bournemouth is accredited from the Creative Skillset.so speaking about Bournemouth's advantages , what does Sheffield Hallam University has to offer in terms of all indicated services?And what are SHU links with the industry ? How likely my degree will be recognizable globally ?I would be grateful if someone who knows every detail would give them to me and make me take a definite decision to accept Sheffield Hallam's offer .Kind Regards !
Hello Kamal Safwan

We have libraries on both our City Campus and Collegiate Campus which are open 24 hours a day, every day of the year. They have more than 1,000 computers and 2,000 study spaces.

In the department where your course is run, we have recently upgraded our PCs with dual monitors and Wacom tablets and we have industry-standard software licences which are updated annually. We also have a brand new render farm facility supporting Arnold, Mental Ray and V-Ray, a green screen room, HTC Vive and Oculus VR room and a 16-camera OptiTrack Motion Capture suite.

We have fantastic links with industry including with ILM – we receive notifications of graduate jobs and placement opportunities that you can apply for. We also have dedicated careers advisers in each of our departments who can offer industry-specific advice on job opportunities and applications. We are proud to be a global university with students from 120 countries and a worldwide community of alumni. Graduates from this course have gone on to work at companies including:

- Double Negative
- Framestore
- ILM
- Sony
- The CharacterShop
- Blue Zoo Animation Studios
- Axis Animation
- Creative Assembly
- Finger Industries
- Gameloft
- TT Games

I hope that helps you make your decision. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks

Hannah
snehg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Any one doing MSc in mental health nursing from Sept 2017? How is the course going to be does anyone know?
haaaayes
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm applying for an MA in Design (Illustration) at Hallam, but the online course description (https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/fin...n-illustration) seems very vague to me and I'd like to know more about the specifics of the course and the teaching schedule/structure. Does anyone have any experience of this course or can point me towards the relevant resources? Thanks!
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by haaaayes)
I'm applying for an MA in Design (Illustration) at Hallam, but the online course description (https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/fin...n-illustration) seems very vague to me and I'd like to know more about the specifics of the course and the teaching schedule/structure. Does anyone have any experience of this course or can point me towards the relevant resources? Thanks!
Hi

Are you hoping to study full time or part time? The teaching schedule differs slightly depending on how you study.

I'll see if I can get in touch with a student or recent graduate who might be able to give you some further insight into the course.

Hannah
Rep:
?
(Original post by haaaayes)
(Original post by Sheffield Hallam University)
Hi

Are you hoping to study full time or part time? The teaching schedule differs slightly depending on how you study.

I'll see if I can get in touch with a student or recent graduate who might be able to give you some further insight into the course.

Hannah
Hi haaaayes

I've heard back from Lizzie who is currently one of our MA Design (Illustration) students, and she's shared a bit of information about how the course is currently. All module options could change each year, so please use this as a guide only.

'The MA Design Course is based on Research Methods and Development of your Design practice. What sets the MA aside from a BA is that it is perhaps more scientific, focusing further on meaning whilst developing your practice. Each module is divided into tasks which are individually focused around the assessment criteria. You should approach and the answer the assessment criteria subject to your discipline (Illustration) and you will be taught specific methods and methodologies in order to help generate deep and meaningful projects.

To give you an idea of the course structure from my experience, we've had:

Negotiated Project: To pursue an agreed (can be client based) project that enhanced your personal experience or to investigate deeply a subject matter appropriate to your own enquiry, building high level skills as appropriate.

TSP: Theory and Supported Practice: Learning Research Methods, Methodologies and Tools to help gather strong and legitimate research to support your practice (or any projects to come) which includes a written poster and practice based essay.

Project 1: Focused on Social Value, Creative Risk taking and Resolution and Outcome. Aim: To create a designed outcome that surfaces a particular issue in relation to design for (speculative) social innovation. *includes a written report and artefact.

Project 2: Reflecting on all you have learnt through the MA, to create and execute an independent research project solving complex problems, and developing skills which enhance your personal and/or professional development. *includes a blog, presentation written rational and design work.

MA Design Illustration Project: Develop and conclude and present a personal programme of design research, development and communication to postgraduate level. It is a self led brief which should push and define your practice and who you are as an Illustrator (Visual Language) and why you have chosen a specific project (through research methods to back it up). This weighs academically the most credits.

The studio space we work in multi-disciplinary - its a mixture of jewellery and metal work, graphic design, interior, product students. This is great to interact with other practices because it can give you greater perspective into experimental design. The studio space also includes mac and computers to work on so don't worry if you do not have your own. It is a comfortable space which you should make your own, feel comfortable and engage with. The tutors on the MA are knowledgeable within their design fields sharing both academic knowledge and knowledge of how you can apply your practice in a real life situation.

There are plenty of independent study hours, so be prepared to put the work in - but you will have enough taught sessions that this time alone should be productive, challenging and manageable.

As a more personal note: My design practice is a mixture of both Graphic design and Illustration and I work primarily around abstraction, so don't be put off if your illustration is out the box. There are plenty of opportunities to critically reflect on your practice and expand it. Be organised, confident, ASK QUESTIONS and you'll do great!!!

I hope this answers your questions. Anything else please ask.'

Hope this helps

Hannah
kernighanemma
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I've accepted an offer to study an MSc in Human Resources Management (part-time), however the online course structure is a little vague. Could you give me an idea of when I'll be attending university and how I'll be examined on the course?Thanks!
EmilyKate96
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I'm doing the MSc psychology course
Stacey120291
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello, is anyone starting the MA in Applied Human Rights in September?
GregaB
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I am considering to apply to SHU (Urban Planning). If there is anyone attending the same course, I would be greatfull to hear what is your experience at the university. Furthermore, I want to know how hard it is to get in for that particular course? Is there a lot of applicants for Urban Planning programme?
Rep:
?
(Original post by GregaB)
Hi, I am considering to apply to SHU (Urban Planning). If there is anyone attending the same course, I would be greatfull to hear what is your experience at the university. Furthermore, I want to know how hard it is to get in for that particular course? Is there a lot of applicants for Urban Planning programme?
Hi GregaB

I hope you find someone studying the course who can help you out!

In terms of getting into the course, you need a minimum of a 2:2 degree (full entry requirements here) but as long as you meet these and write a good application form, you should be ok. Last year, there were around 30 people on the course from a range of backgrounds, but this could vary year on year. In your application, it would be good to demonstrate an interest in Urban Planning issues

Hope that helps

Hannah
LucyBlackwell
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm starting the MSc Developmental Psychology, part-time. I know the course will be on a Thursday afternoons but does anyone have a rough idea of times?
JARichards
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Lucy, I am starting the same course, full time. Would be great to find out so I can plan a bit of part-time work for September!
LucyBlackwell
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JARichards)
Hi Lucy, I am starting the same course, full time. Would be great to find out so I can plan a bit of part-time work for September!
I have been told the timetables should be finalised by 14th August so I will let you know if/when I hear anything.
EmilyDeguil
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LucyBlackwell)
I have been told the timetables should be finalised by 14th August so I will let you know if/when I hear anything.
Hi both of you!

I'm also doing the MSc Developmental Psychology course full time! Would love to know about the timetable too!
clodzy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by EmilyKate96)
Hey, I'm doing the MSc psychology course
I'm also studying the MSc Psychology! Are you studying full time or part time?
Rebecca125
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi both, I'm also going to be studying the Msc in Psychology course - i'm taking it full time.
nickigb
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LucyBlackwell)
Hi Lucy I'm also starting MSc Developmental Psychology part time. I don't know anything other than it will be on a Thursday but looking forward to meeting everyone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate open day Postgraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads