volsung92
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,

I'm an American student who will be attending a UK University for an MA in Medieval Studies. I've received offers from the 5 schools I applied to...but have no idea what the culture/vibe of each city is like. So, how would you guys describe the following five in terms of friendliness/weather/student life in general? :

Nottingham
York
Leeds
Edinburgh
Glasgow

Any help would be much appreciated!
Voi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Edinburgh> York > Glasgow > Leeds > Nottingham
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by volsung92)
Hi all,

I'm an American student who will be attending a UK University for an MA in Medieval Studies. I've received offers from the 5 schools I applied to...but have no idea what the culture/vibe of each city is like. So, how would you guys describe the following five in terms of friendliness/weather/student life in general? :

Nottingham
York
Leeds
Edinburgh
Glasgow

Any help would be much appreciated!
As for the weather, it's crap in all of those towns because they're in the North.
Voi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nottingham likes to think it is posh with all these East Midlands failing upper middle class fish wives like Anna Soubry, when in fact it is just full of unemployed youths and is cut off from the rest of the UK in terms of rail connections. Full of bigoted English Brexiters with farmer caps and walking sticks who hate outsiders.

York is full of tourists and old people. It has great architecture and is much wealthier than Nottingham. Feels very clean historical and lots in the way of museums and culture. The people are pleasant enough if not a little direct.

Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland so is the wealthiest and most touristy city on your list. It is great architectures, nightlife, castles, and feels very liberal, clean and welcoming. I highly recommend a visit.

Leeds is a failing working class northern city suffering from lack of funding but it does have a high student population and likes to pride itself on having the best nightlife in the north. It doesn't have anything in the way of architecture or culture. It's quite plain. People are friendly enough.

Glasgow is the second biggest city in Scotland. It is the opposite of Edinburgh in that it has little in the way of historical architecture and prides itself on urban regeneration and modern living. It's up and coming but can be rough around the edges.
volsung92
Rep:
?
(Original post by Voi)
Nottingham likes to think it is posh with all these East Midlands failing upper middle class fish wives like Anna Soubry, when in fact it is just full of unemployed youths and is cut off from the rest of the UK in terms of rail connections. Full of bigoted English Brexiters with farmer caps and walking sticks who hate outsiders.

York is full of tourists and old people. It has great architecture and is much wealthier than Nottingham. Feels very clean historical and lots in the way of museums and culture. The people are pleasant enough if not a little direct.

Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland so is the wealthiest and most touristy city on your list. It is great architectures, nightlife, castles, and feels very liberal, clean and welcoming. I highly recommend a visit.

Leeds is a failing working class northern city suffering from lack of funding but it does have a high student population and likes to pride itself on having the best nightlife in the north. It doesn't have anything in the way of architecture or culture. It's quite plain. People are friendly enough.

Glasgow is the second biggest city in Scotland. It is the opposite of Edinburgh in that it has little in the way of historical architecture and prides itself on urban regeneration and modern living. It's up and coming but can be rough around the edges.
Thanks! Pretty disappointing about Nottingham since their program looked promising.
username2548927
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Everyone says Glasgow but a live there and not long ago a random guy was begging people for a £1 for the train and he approached me and a said a didn't have a £1 because all a had was £10 and £20 notes on me and he called me a "bam" when a told him naw lmao. Some people don't make Glasgow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
puddings3
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It was almost a shock to move to England after living in Glasgow for 6 years, people are so much friendlier there. But really you should look at what the different programmes offer, particularly in terms of extra stuff (particularly good archives, student conferences, travel grants for your MA research, professors you can see yourself working with at PhD etc) since you will be a busy MA student and honestly you won't have that much time to do stuff outside of the university anyway.
volsung92
Rep:
?
(Original post by puddings3)
It was almost a shock to move to England after living in Glasgow for 6 years, people are so much friendlier there. But really you should look at what the different programmes offer, particularly in terms of extra stuff (particularly good archives, student conferences, travel grants for your MA research, professors you can see yourself working with at PhD etc) since you will be a busy MA student and honestly you won't have that much time to do stuff outside of the university anyway.
Thanks! I have those factors ranked separately ( and weighted heavier already). The reason I ask about general friendliness is not that I'm looking for a city with an excellent nightlife or plenty of activities, I'm looking for one that's happy enough to be conducive to studying and not cause me additional stress trying to navigate the city. More like ' No one needs the hassle of being surrounded by *******s and smog' kind of thing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (11)
12.79%
I need help researching courses (7)
8.14%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.81%
I need help with my personal statement (35)
40.7%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (22)
25.58%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.33%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.65%

Watched Threads