The Student Room Group

Physics/Maths please help

I'm reposting the exact same question as before because I got no answers and I REALLY need to know right now.

How do you calculate uncertainty for a SET of data?

I know that when you multiply/divide two variables you add the percentage uncertainties, but what happens with a set of data, such as experiment results?

For example:
voltage: 1.40, 1.37, 1.34, 1.32 with uncertainty +/- 0.005V
current: 11.1, 24.6, 39.9, 45.0 with uncertainty +/- 0.005A
Then you plot V against I to find emf and internal resistance.

How do you then find the uncertainty in the final results for emf and r?

Do you work out the percentage uncertainty of every individual result and take the mean, or do you take the mean of each result and do 0.005 over that?
e.g. for voltage, (1.40+1.37+1.34+1.32)/4 = 1.3574; 0.005/1.3575 = 0.37%

The two methods give slightly different results, but I'm not sure if that matters.

To be honest I feel like all of the above is wrong and there must be another way.
Reply 1
Original post by JustJusty
I'm reposting the exact same question as before because I got no answers and I REALLY need to know right now.

How do you calculate uncertainty for a SET of data?

I know that when you multiply/divide two variables you add the percentage uncertainties, but what happens with a set of data, such as experiment results?

For example:
voltage: 1.40, 1.37, 1.34, 1.32 with uncertainty +/- 0.005V
current: 11.1, 24.6, 39.9, 45.0 with uncertainty +/- 0.005A
Then you plot V against I to find emf and internal resistance.

How do you then find the uncertainty in the final results for emf and r?

Do you work out the percentage uncertainty of every individual result and take the mean, or do you take the mean of each result and do 0.005 over that?
e.g. for voltage, (1.40+1.37+1.34+1.32)/4 = 1.3574; 0.005/1.3575 = 0.37%

The two methods give slightly different results, but I'm not sure if that matters.

To be honest I feel like all of the above is wrong and there must be another way.

If you are taking the mean of a result, the uncertainty is the normal uncertainty divided by the number of readings. You don't take the mean :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest