The Student Room Group

LeCroissant's surviving exam season journal

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LeCroissant
I hope it is okay for me to make this!:smile:

I thought it would be a good idea to keep a journal of some sort to track how I cope during exam season. The main reason behind this is that I want to prove to myself that I can get through all of my exams, despite having poor mental health. Yes, I have poor mental health right now. That's a difficult thing for me to admit, especially to people in real-life. As a result, I do not really have anyone to talk to about this apart from a couple of close friends who are going through a similar thing.
Hopefully, writing about my thoughts and feelings here every day until my last exam has finished (the 29th of June) will be of some help!

- Friday 12th May 2017 -

The Year 12s have now left sixth form so that they can begin study leave- which means exam season has officially started! I am in Year 13 so my study leave doesn't start for another two weeks.
My first lesson of the day was double Psychology. We got our Paper 3 mock exam papers back and I got an A* in the Relationships section, a B in the Schizophrenia section, and Es in the Issues & Debates and Forensics section. This gave me a high C overall, which I'm definitely not happy with. I didn't revise much for it though so I'm not too upset. For the rest of the lesson, we just got on with our own revision but I couldn't really concentrate because I felt really anxious about the Physics mock exam I would have in the afternoon.

This is where we get onto my mental health (or lack of mental health should we say). For the past few years, I have been an anxious person. However, in the past couple of months , it has gotten much, much worse. I have learnt to cope with worrying about practically everything, but now all of a sudden, I am experiencing dizzy spells, headaches, shakiness, sweating, even fainting and chest pains that feel like heart attacks! I have been to the doctors twice in the past (when I wasn't as bad) and they basically didn't see me as a cause for concern. Even though now, I know I need help, I can't bring myself to go to the doctors because I'm worried they'll say there's nothing wrong with me. There's a part of me that thinks I don't even have anxiety, and that I'm just weak and pathetic.
Anyway, back to today! I had a Paper 2 mock exam for Physics in the afternoon. It went better than I expected, since I managed to attempt every question despite not feeling confident in all of them. In the Paper 1 mock exam last week, I left most of the paper blank and left early because I felt like bursting into tears. Physics is definitely the most anxiety-inducing subject for me because I have not been doing well in it all year. I'm usually the type of person who sees anything below an A as a fail (which is a TERRIBLE mindset!!), so consistently getting Ds, Es and Us in Physics is difficult for me to deal with.

Since getting home from sixth form, I have just been relaxing by listening to music and watching Youtube videos. I have decided to set Friday evenings asside as a time where I can chill out without doing any revision.
My plans for the rest of the evening are:
- Tidy my room (whilst listening to Three Days Grace :biggrin:) since there are menacing piles of revision booklets everywhere that need organising.
- Write lists of all the topics I need to revise for Physics and Maths. I have already been revising but making lists makes me feel more in control idk.

Mood: 4/10 :s-smilie:. Idk I just feel generally low today.

I know I'm a bit late but I only just came across this thread :tongue: I found this interesting to read and relatable because I have anxiety too :hugs:

I'll check this thread from time to time now. I've subscribed. :smile:

Good luck with your exams!
I'm glad I did it, although the film was quite strange (The Girl On The Train).

Haha as nice as it sounds, it's probably best if you don't have an invigilator who you have a crush on because every time they walk past your desk (bearing in mind the aisles are quite narrow :tongue:), you focus on them instead of the exam.

Ahhhhh, I was advised not to watch that film but I've seen the adverts for it. Hope it didn't weird you out too much :hugs:

Hope you're having a good day today :h: Try not to fret too much about that 19% :hugs:
Original post by furryface12
Will reply in morning detail later but electricity (well any, but that especially) I found it a lot easier to just learn the formulae, and apply these to all the questions words or not. It's a pain but a lot easier than trying to get your head round the theory. Or was for me anyway

Thank you for the advice, luckily most of the formulae is given to us in a booklet so I'll try to apply those to questions more. I hate the wordy questions :redface:.
Original post by SassKing13
I know I'm a bit late but I only just came across this thread :tongue: I found this interesting to read and relatable because I have anxiety too :hugs:

I'll check this thread from time to time now. I've subscribed. :smile:

Good luck with your exams!

That's okay, I'm glad that you found it interesting haha :h:. Anxiety is horrible- I wish there was a way to magically cure it.

Thanks for subscribing :hugs:.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Ahhhhh, I was advised not to watch that film but I've seen the adverts for it. Hope it didn't weird you out too much :hugs:

Hope you're having a good day today :h: Try not to fret too much about that 19% :hugs:

Yeah I think it's one of those stories where the book is much better than the film (which was very graphic at the end).

I had quite a decent day yesterday, and I'm just hoping that a very minimal part of my exam will be about electricity or I'll probably get 19% again :tongue:.
That's okay, I'm glad that you found it interesting haha :h:. Anxiety is horrible- I wish there was a way to magically cure it.

Thanks for subscribing :hugs:.

Yeah, me too :redface:

You're welcome :hugs:

- Friday 9th June 2017 -

[I forgot to post so I'm writing this the day after]

As usual, today was spent alternating between studying and having breaks. However, somehow time slipped away really fast and I didn't get much done considering I spent the whole day doing it.
First, I did a C3 Maths paper which did not go very well :colondollar:. Maybe it's because I haven't done a paper for this modules in ages, or perhaps my brain cells are decaying.
That took me up until lunch time (see what I mean? The past paper took 1.5 hours and there were 4 hours between me waking up and having lunch). After lunch, I attempted a PHYA4 paper for Physics but only got the multiple choice questions done. This took me just over an hour even though the instructions recommended me to only spend 45 minutes on that section. Story of my life.

Later on, I did the same Physics paper that I sat last year for AS (which I embarassingly got a D in :frown:) and despite not using any of my notes and being terrible at Physics... I got an A this time!!! Whaaaaaat even....

So that is all the studying I managed to get done. Annoyingly, I had a headache for the entire day which felt like my head was full of fluid. I also wrote a Psychology essay at night because I felt guilty for doing no Psychology for the entire day and my second exam is on Wednesday, oops.

Song of the day: 'Save Yourself' by My Darkest Days.
I literally discovered this song last night and have become addicted to it. I particularly like the lyrics "I'll never understand my sickness, 'cause I don't understand my sickness" and "save yourself from the choices I make 'cause nothing but failure follows MEEEEEE". #Edgy

[video="youtube;4TAXeUN6gd4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TAXeUN6gd4[/video]

Mood: 6/10
Anxiety: 3/10
(edited 6 years ago)

- Saturday 10th June 2017 -

Today has been pretty much the same as yesterday, except I've been even less productive. All I've done is three hours of Psychology revision and then I tried to force myself to do a C4 Maths paper but I just can't finish it. I don't have the mental capacity to answer any more questions, I don't have the mental capacity to watch tutorials on how to do questions that I don't understand, I don't have the mental capacity to even read anything about the subjects I am being EXAMINED on in the next few weeks.

I feel so apathetic today. I can't focus on watching YouTube videos or TV shows because I just don't care. All I've been able to do is daydream and zone out... pretending that I am someone else, somewhere else, doing something else.

I'm also really exhausted because I couldn't sleep until 1am (usually I'm an 11pm kind of girl). I'll probably go to sleep shortly after posting this because I'm just so fed up.

Song of the day: 'Losing Sight' by Memphis May Fire.

This (rather screamy/growly) song basically sums up how I feel about A-levels. I began the course feeling so motivated and inspired, and now I just feel like a breathing dead person. I told myself that if I put in the hours, I'd get A*A*A*. Instead, I put in the hours and made myself ill.
I like the lyrics "Take me back to the me that wanted this more than anything, the me that said I would give up everything just to live one night in the life I'm questioning."

[video="youtube;kRwRlyzN4aI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRwRlyzN4aI[/video]

Mood: 3/10
Anxiety: 1/10
:hugs:

At least the end is nigh, that's the only thing that can really help to pull you through the exams.

Also something else to add, AS results don't really 'matter' anymore, and predicted grades hold far more weighting. I know people in my year who got results such as DEEU, BCCE, even UUUU who got all/almost all of their offers. It really helped me with the huge amount of stress. :redface:
Original post by W. A. Mozart

At least the end is nigh, that's the only thing that can really help to pull you through the exams.

Also something else to add, AS results don't really 'matter' anymore, and predicted grades hold far more weighting. I know people in my year who got results such as DEEU, BCCE, even UUUU who got all/almost all of their offers. It really helped me with the huge amount of stress. :redface:

That's true, I'm so glad that there are only 3 weeks left.

I'm in Year 2 of A-levels so I already have my predicted grades and university places etc :s-smilie:. I guess the good thing about my situation is that if I fail, I know it's because of stress/anxiety and not because I haven't tried hard enough :redface:.

- Sunday 11th June 2017 -

I'm feeling a little bit more positive today, although I did feel extremely down for about an hour during the afternoon.

I woke up later than I wanted to because I fell asleep later than I wanted to.
First of all, I attempted an M1 Maths paper but ending up screwing it up and throwing it in the bin because I got the first three questions completely wrong and didn't see the point in continuing.
Then I marked the C4 paper that I did yesterday and didn't do very well but that's because I skipped a few questions.
At this point, I was feeling quite annoyed so I did some Psychology revision to calm me down. Honestly, I love Psychology so much and I'm glad I've chosen to do that at university instead of a Maths or Physics based subject.
After lunch, I did a C3 paper which I thought went really well until I marked it and realised I'd only just scraped a B :redface:. I kept forgetting how to use the product rule...
After having an existential crisis in the afternoon, I did a PHYA2 Physics (mechanics, materials & waves) paper and got an A!! How am I getting As in Physics papers all of a sudden? How am I now doing better in Physics than Maths?

I have an outpatient appointment tomorrow morning which I'm feeling quite apprehensive about. I'm worried that the person I speak to will dismiss me as having nothing wrong with me and just tell me to do more things that I enjoy :s-smilie:. I've been forcing myself to not skip meals recently so that I can have the energy to revise and I promised myself a year ago that I'd never self harm again, but the psychologist/psychiatrist will probably think I'm happy and perfectly fine because of this. There's nothing wrong with me; I've just brought this all upon myself. It's all my fault and I'm a bad person.

Song of the day: 'Lithium' by Evanescence.
This song is so beautiful and I've had it stuck in my head all day for some reason. Especially the lyrics "I can't hold on to me, wonder WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?!". Seriously, what even is wrong with me though? I feel like I'm just making everything I think and feel up, but surely that's a problem in itself?
[video="youtube;95Im4jkdtSE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Im4jkdtSE[/video]

Mood: 4.5/10 I feel down but I think my bad feelings are fake. I am fake.
Anxiety: 4/10 I still have lots of revision to do but it's already 9pm fml.
You're not a bad person at all. Don't let your brain fool you into thinking that! Your problems are real and genuine and they need addressing :sadnod:

I really feel for you with regards to feeling like you're making everything up. I had that constant thought just a short while ago and it really made me question everything. It's a bit of a complicated situation as there is almost no way to convince yourself that you're not making it up, as really it's just your brain questioning itself. I'd echo what TLG said above though, it is just your brain fooling you and your problems are most definitely real and genuine. Even if you think that they're made up, they're still problematic if it bothers you this much.

Best of luck for the outpatient appointment tomorrow, I felt apprehensive for every single one of my appointments! :K:

(Oh and also I apologise for the blunder I made yesterday in thinking that you are sitting AS exams, it's obvious that you're revising A2 content so I just had a bit of a silly moment! :colondollar:)
Oops just realised I forgot to wish you well for tomorrow, @LeCroissant ! Hope it goes OK :hugs:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Oops just realised I forgot to wish you well for tomorrow, @LeCroissant ! Hope it goes OK :hugs:

Thank you, I hope it goes well too! Although I'm not really sure what to expect. :hugs:
Original post by W. A. Mozart

I really feel for you with regards to feeling like you're making everything up. I had that constant thought just a short while ago and it really made me question everything. It's a bit of a complicated situation as there is almost no way to convince yourself that you're not making it up, as really it's just your brain questioning itself. I'd echo what TLG said above though, it is just your brain fooling you and your problems are most definitely real and genuine. Even if you think that they're made up, they're still problematic if it bothers you this much.

Best of luck for the outpatient appointment tomorrow, I felt apprehensive for every single one of my appointments! :K:

(Oh and also I apologise for the blunder I made yesterday in thinking that you are sitting AS exams, it's obvious that you're revising A2 content so I just had a bit of a silly moment! :colondollar:)

Yeah I guess that's true. It's worse when a mental health professional validates the thought by treating me as though I'm making it all up. Or maybe that's just my brain telling me that they think that. I really hope I don't speak to someone like that :s-smilie:.

Thank you :smile:. This is the first one I've had, besides a camhs one last year which was for a much less serious problem.

That's okay haha, I am technically doing exams with AS content because of the linear reformed A-levels, but I'm just not in the AS year :tongue:

- Monday 12th June 2017 -

So this morning I had my psychiatrist appointment or whatever it's called. It didn't go badly but I wouldn't say it went well either, since I still left with no answers. I might be referred to their team, or I might be referred to a different team, or I might be recommended some medication (what's the point in my GP referring me to them if that's all they're going to do?) or I might even just be given some self referral numbers. I won't find out for at least two weeks but if they just end up telling me to self refer to somewhere else, I'm literally going to give up.

I also endured two unpleasant experiences as I walked home. Firstly, a really chavvy boy felt the need to shout something in my face, although I couldn't understand his accent. Secondly, a really creepy boy/man stared at me when I walked past him and he starting following me home. I was in a really bad state of mind after my appointment so maybe I misinterpreted the situation but I genuinely thought his intention was to assault or even murder me.
When I got home, I went to my parents' room because I felt safest in there and I just lay motionless on the floor for four hours with 999 typed on my phone until my mum got home from work. I was too scared to move in case the creepy man had got into my house (even though it is impossible to open our doors from the outside without a key).

It is now nearly 4pm and I've realised that I've done no revision. I think I'll just do a few hours after dinner because I've got better at working at night recently.

I will add more to this post later but I just thought I'd write most of it now whilst I'm not busy.

8pm update: Revision hasn't ended up happening because I got a really bad headache which has now turned into an overwhelming feeling of tiredness. I just ended up sitting on the floor and hugging my chair.
Also, I've just noticed that there is a glass of water with a baked bean and a teabag inside on my bedside table. If that isn't an accurate representation of how exam season is going, then I don't know what is :tongue:.
I'm going to finish my cup of tea and go to sleep. Good night :smile:

Midnight update: I am still awake. I can't sleep. I can't stop thinking about what the man will do to me.

Song of the day: 'Stand In The Rain' by Superchick
This was one of my favourite songs when I was 14 and struggling with body image and eating problems. I'll just post the piano version because the lyrics are quite depressing and I don't want to keep sharing depressing songs :redface:. The chorus has a really uplifting message though: "Stand in the rain, stand your ground. Stand up when it's all crashing down. You stand through the pain, you won't drown and one day, what's lost can be found."
[video="youtube;0aPd97OgT5Y"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aPd97OgT5Y[/video]

Mood: 5/10
Anxiety: 6/10 because exams and future and creepy man.
(edited 6 years ago)

- Monday 12th June 2017 -

So this morning I had my psychiatrist appointment or whatever it's called. It didn't go badly but I wouldn't say it went well either, since I still left with no answers. I might be referred to their team, or I might be referred to a different team, or I might be recommended some medication (what's the point in my GP referring me to them if that's all they're going to do?) or I might even just be given some self referral numbers. I won't find out for at least two weeks but if they just end up telling me to self refer to somewhere else, I'm literally going to give up.

I also endured two unpleasant experiences as I walked home. Firstly, a really chavvy boy felt the need to shout something in my face, although I couldn't understand his accent. Secondly, a really creepy boy/man stared at me when I walked past him and he starting following me home. I was in a really bad state of mind after my appointment so maybe I misinterpreted the situation but I genuinely thought his intention was to assault or even murder me.
When I got home, I went to my parents' room because I felt safest in there and I just lay motionless on the floor for four hours with 999 typed on my phone until my mum got home from work. I was too scared to move in case the creepy man had got into my house (even though it is impossible to open our doors from the outside without a key).

It is now nearly 4pm and I've realised that I've done no revision. I think I'll just do a few hours after dinner because I've got better at working at night recently.

I will add more to this post later but I just thought I'd write most of it now whilst I'm not busy.

:frown: :console: :jumphug:
That sounds really tough, I'm sorry that things haven't gone well today :hugs:

With regards to the fear or the man following you home, do you have thoughts like that often? If so it might be something worth mentioning to your GP or somebody on the MH team as it seems like it really bothered you today. :sadnod:

Good luck with revision tonight!
Posting to subscribe.

You're following my blog so I thought I'd check yours out.

I know the mental health struggle even though I'm only 15, so I can relate to you on that level.

As you also know I'm currently doing my GCSE's and I know they are alot different than A-Levels so I wish you the best of luck with your exams.

One of my best friends has the same mindset as you, if he gets less than an A it's bad.

Hope things get better over time, if you ever need someone to talk to on a rough day then feel free to hit up my inbox and I'll provide a listening and non-judgmental ear. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest