Are there are only two genders? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Nervously Shy.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
... Male and Female.

I created an account on a website and it had the gender section which said Male, Female, Other, and Prefer not to say.

What is this Other all about?
feministy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
'tis a spectrum, social construct
Nervously Shy.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Steljoy)
Some people might "prefer not to say" if they are male or female

Simple
Yeah. But I was asking what the other mean't.
Grim_Squeaker
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's part of that new, trendy thing where society creates multiple new titles to describe whatever their gender or sexuality is, since the old descriptions were not quite unique, confusing or edgy enough to suit things.

Diversity.
Quirky Object
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sex =/= gender. There are two sexes.
Jirga
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sonechka)
Sex =/= gender. There are two sexes.
And how many genders are there?
Find_elsewhere
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Other is for a person who doesn't identify as being a male or a female. They may identify with some elements of both, or not at all. Gender is social by the way. It's not the same thing as sex, which is biological. You could have biologically male sexual organs, for instance, but you don't necessarily identify as being a man.
Quirky Object
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jirga)
And how many genders are there?
Replace "genders" in that question with "sets of social roles" and you'll see that the answer is pretty impossible to determine.

Gender is but another set of roles/labels/characteristics with which someone may choose to identify, which are linked to but not entirely dependent on biological sex.
Nervously Shy.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Find_elsewhere)
Other is for a person who doesn't identify as being a male or a female. They may identify with some elements of both, or not at all. Gender is social by the way. It's not the same thing as sex, which is biological. You could have biologically male sexual organs, for instance, but you don't necessarily identify as being a man.
No. It's easy, you have a penis your a man and a vagina your a woman.
Jirga
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sonechka)
Replace "genders" in that question with "sets of social roles" and you'll see that the answer is pretty impossible to determine.

Gender is but another set of roles/labels/characteristics with which someone may choose to identify, which are linked to but not entirely dependent on biological sex.
No, don't replace it with anything please.
beckiefaye_x
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
there are two different biological sexes, female and male.

And then like 1 million different genders.
I don't believe this to be true, but I fully accept that some people are gender fluid.
But it's not really gender fluid, they're a tomboy, or they have feminine characteristics to them. It's not a different gender all together.

Basically if you have a **** you are a male. If you have a pussy you are female.

Transgender is different, if someone goes through a transition to change themselves from female to male or vice verse, that should be respected. I have heard stories about how difficult this can be to go through, so I honestly believe transgender people should be addressed as there preference.
l'etranger
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by EternalLight)
I kid you not I'm waiting for the day where the law will allow you to identify as a different animal. I swear I am not over exaggerating, I believe this is the direction we're heading in.
Repped for speaking the truth. There are two genders.
tamanna___
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think there's two genders, however some people have female characteristics/male characteristics, or androgynous... I don't really know about other genders
Richard0328
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
biologically there are only 2 sexes (excluding abnormalities) but there are many many different genders which is sociological. it is utter nonsense though and just a new way of people bringing attention to themselves so they can claim discrimination of some sort. it is BS!
Justin.Reid2000
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sex and gender is the same thing. There are only 2: Male and Female.

A person's sexuality and personality are not the same as gender/sex.

Political correctness has gone so far that it wants to dismantle any type of 'Line' or 'category'. For example, lefties went on the rage at our PM for saying "there's girl jobs and boy jobs" in the context of a family home/marriage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
feministy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lol why are you all like my fake friends
Rhythmical
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by feministy)
Lol why are you all like my fake friends
I'm the truest of the lot
feministy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rhythmical)
I'm the truest of the lot
Thanks for spitting on me today babes!!!!
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ye the spectrum is the social construct lol.

male and female is just science.
username3012438
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There are males and females. The idea there's an infinite number of genders is only something you'll find on the internet. I've never heard anyone say such nonsense in real life.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (163)
59.06%
No I haven't decided yet (66)
23.91%
Yes but I might change my mind (47)
17.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise