Turn on thread page Beta

I've genuinely begun to sympathise with the far-right watch

ReputationRep:
    Send help! Just kidding.

But seriously I have begun to, because I completely understand where they're coming from with the issues of [excessive] immigration. The UK has seriously become a place where instead of attempting to 'integrate' people we now instead 'accommodate' people and their viewpoints; we don't expect them to conform to British values and instead essentially give them the message "hey it's okay for you to impose your culture and ideals on us whilst at the same time criticising ours" and it's quite ridiculous.

I live near Swindon (it's...a....great....town) and there are so many areas of Swindon which are just filled completely with immigrants and because it's so highly-concentrated they are simply not making the effort to integrate with anyone outside of that immigrant community and will just keep to themselves. It's genuinely ridiculous to walk around and hear parents in public primarily talking to their kids in a foreign language; you're not going to integrate your children into England, Wales, Scotland etc. if you're not using the language of the land with them. So many of them also lack such simple etiquette such as the concept of queing or the concept of moving out of the way when someone is walking in the opposite direction on a crowded path.

There's been also several, several occasions where I've witnessed immigrants who can't even communicate in basic English. I recall one incident when one didn't even understand "what is your age" I mean for goodness sake?

Acceptance isn't bad, that's not what I'm saying, and everyone should accept everyone has their own individual beliefs. But likewise each country has its own culture, tradition etc. and when we force change that to adapt to the likes of a few immigrants (e.g. ****ing halal don't even get me started), then that's not integration. If they want that kinda culture then find a country like that...? If I ****ing went to Saudi Arabia and said "hey build me a church for Catholicism" quite rightly they'd say no as it's not in line with their culture.

Idk I just feel like this country is heading more and more into a disaster. The increase of language GCSEs/A-Levels for languages like Punjabi which are clearly being taken by native speakers is ridiculous. The obsession on halal is ridiculous, the number of people wearing headscarves is also ridiculous (and to quote a serious comment from a girl in my Philosophy class last year 'all women should wear headscarves', good integration!) and I know this isn't England, but a friend I have who lives in Germany says she's fed up of all the cat-calling she receives from Arabic men which has increased under mass immigration. Heck there's even a term for a form of the German language which stems from the fact that Turkish people decided they wanted to change it to fit their own ways.

Ik this is all just such a long rant but honestly the situation with immigration is getting out of control because people simply aren't being integrated, and if you just allow more and more in then it gets harder and harder to integrate. So for the first time I genuinely 100% sympathise with the views of the far-right and I sincerely hope something is at least done by someone.

ReputationRep:
    lol ye I tried asking someone for directions in my university town (near London) and he couldn't understand me because he didn't speak English.

ReputationRep:
    There is more to politics than this one issue.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Indian, the child of immigrants and even I can sympathise with them when it comes with immigrants not integrating. You've come over to this country, presumably because the one you're from is crap. So why cling to the backwards ass culture when that's the thing you moved to get away from?

ReputationRep:
    My parents are immigrants who made a conscious effort to integrate and my family and I are grateful and proud to consider ourselves "British" while keeping our own national identity, and it frustrates me sometimes when immigrants don't do so because it is perfectly possible. I totally see where you're coming from and it's not an unreasonable sentiment.

But at the same time, ghettoisation sometimes isn't the fault of immigrants; it can often be the result of socioeconomic factors and the impact can be exaggerated by the (harmful) concentration of immigrants in certain, generally poor areas such that there is little impetus or opportunity to integrate. The problem is that we've let this wave of immigration happen while being careless and underestimating the cultural impact of huge, fast demographic changes. With enough good governance, social mobility and a generation, though, the situation should change and immigrants should begin to integrate more.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree my views started to a change a year ago it was after I started to learn about the racist Black lives Matter. I became conscious of the ubiquitous anti-white hatred in the media and popular culture.

The UK should put an ultimatum on immigration for 50 years. Imo we should never have allowed the immigrant population to exceed 5% particularly from non European countries and not India and China
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Send help! Just kidding.

But seriously I have begun to, because I completely understand where they're coming from with the issues of [excessive] immigration. The UK has seriously become a place where instead of attempting to 'integrate' people we now instead 'accommodate' people and their viewpoints; we don't expect them to conform to British values and instead essentially give them the message "hey it's okay for you to impose your culture and ideals on us whilst at the same time criticising ours" and it's quite ridiculous.

I live near Swindon (it's...a....great....town) and there are so many areas of Swindon which are just filled completely with immigrants and because it's so highly-concentrated they are simply not making the effort to integrate with anyone outside of that immigrant community and will just keep to themselves. It's genuinely ridiculous to walk around and hear parents in public primarily talking to their kids in a foreign language; you're not going to integrate your children into England, Wales, Scotland etc. if you're not using the language of the land with them. So many of them also lack such simple etiquette such as the concept of queing or the concept of moving out of the way when someone is walking in the opposite direction on a crowded path.

There's been also several, several occasions where I've witnessed immigrants who can't even communicate in basic English. I recall one incident when one didn't even understand "what is your age" I mean for goodness sake?

Acceptance isn't bad, that's not what I'm saying, and everyone should accept everyone has their own individual beliefs. But likewise each country has its own culture, tradition etc. and when we force change that to adapt to the likes of a few immigrants (e.g. ****ing halal don't even get me started), then that's not integration. If they want that kinda culture then find a country like that...? If I ****ing went to Saudi Arabia and said "hey build me a church for Catholicism" quite rightly they'd say no as it's not in line with their culture, and whilst Saudi Arabia is a piece of ---- nation, not letting your culture erode is important.

Idk I just feel like this country is heading more and more into a disaster. The increase of language GCSEs/A-Levels for languages like Punjabi which are clearly being taken by native speakers is ridiculous. The obsession on halal is ridiculous, the number of people wearing headscarves is also ridiculous (and to quote a serious comment from a girl in my Philosophy class last year 'all women should wear headscarves', good integration!) and I know this isn't England, but a friend I have who lives in Germany says she's fed up of all the cat-calling she receives from Arabic men which has increased under mass immigration. Heck there's even a term for a form of the German language which stems from the fact that Turkish people decided they wanted to change it to fit their own ways.

Ik this is all just such a long rant but honestly the situation with immigration is getting out of control because people simply aren't being integrated, and if you just allow more and more in then it gets harder and harder to integrate. So for the first time I genuinely 100% sympathise with the views of the far-right and I sincerely hope something is at least done by someone.
    It is a rant but you are entitled to one so let it out.

Cant say headscarves, Halal or Punjabi GCSE has ever kept me awake at night but whatever gets you going.

ReputationRep:
    Cool story bro. Now **** off back to Stormfront

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hirsty97)
    Yes I agree my views started to a change a year ago it was after I started to learn about the racist Black lives Matter crap. I became conscious of the ubiquitous anti-white hatred in the media and popular culture.

The UK should put an ultimatum on immigration for 50 years. Imo we should never have allowed the immigrant population to exceed 5% particularly from non European countries and not India and China
    The problem with arguing against black lives Matter , I find, is the name. black lives DO matter so it's hard to say that we don't like their movement to people uneducated on what it actually is. They were so clever there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthmckay00)
    The problem with arguing against black lives Matter , I find, is the name. black lives DO matter so it's hard to say that we don't like their movement to people uneducated on what it actually is. They were so clever there
    While we have rappers like Ice cube rapping saying they wanna kill crackers I find it difficult to sympathise with anything they say anymore

ReputationRep:
    No, the situation is not "getting out of control". Immigrants have always retained parts of their native culture (some more than others) in human history. Cultures intermix and evolve as humans move around the globe; it's just a natural sociological phenomenon. By all means oppose aspects of foreign cultures which appear to be antithetical to "British values" (especially if the former are immoral in some sense), but you need to quit whining about languages and clothing. Seriously, get over it.

You're going to laud Saudi Arabia for their preservation of culture at the expense of religious freedom, despite the latter being a fundamental characteristic of modern British culture? How laughable. Moreover, a philosophy class is hardly a refuge for traditions (yes, that includes British traditions); the whole point of philosophy is to think and argue, which may involve challenging prevailing norms and morality. You shouldn't expect people to "integrate" in a philosophy class and get all butt-hurt when someone makes a comment you don't like. You're supposed to use rational argumentation in a philosophy class to counter assertions like "all women should wear headscarves". It's not that hard to counter such a statement anyway :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Send help! Just kidding.

How do you propose we integrate people?

What culture/ideals are immigrants imposing on us? People aren't being rounded up en masse and forced to worship Mohammad.

Why is it ridiculous? People will communicate with whatever language they feel most comfortable using. This includes dialect within one language itself.

If I moved to a country where English wasn't the official/main language I'd still probably speak it in my free time should I find the native language to be harder to use. Regardless I'd still need to learn the native language, which these parents and their children will most likely be doing anyway.

"So many of them lack such simple etiquette" - how many? I've lived my whole life in towns/cities with very large foreign communities and have never had any problems with people cutting queues.

Acceptance isn't bad, that's not what I'm saying, and everyone should accept everyone has their own individual beliefs. But likewise each country has its own culture, tradition etc. and when we force change that to adapt to the likes of a few immigrants (e.g. ****ing halal don't even get me started), then that's not integration. If they want that kinda culture then find a country like that...? If I ****ing went to Saudi Arabia and said "hey build me a church for Catholicism" quite rightly they'd say no as it's not in line with their culture, and whilst Saudi Arabia is a piece of ---- nation, not letting your culture erode is important.
    I don't quite see some set of immigrants who can't speak English and halal as being two things that have completed eroded culture in this country beyond recognition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dima-Blackburn)
    No, the situation is not "getting out of control".
    The increasing divides and tensions amongst communities in this country alongside an incredibly high immigration isn't 'getting out of control'? Lol I mean sure you believe that.

Immigrants have always retained parts of their native culture (some more than others) in human history. Cultures intermix and evolve as humans move around the globe; it's just a natural sociological phenomenon.
    There is a difference between retaining aspects of your native culture and adamently refusing to give it up and integrate with the culture which you have emigrated to (as well as forcing that culture onto a country). You seem to be mixing the two, but it's okay, I'll forgive you seeing as your post reeks of stupidity so I can only assume being misinformed is in your nature.

By all means oppose aspects of foreign cultures which appear to be antithetical to "British values" (especially if the former are immoral in some sense), but you need to quit whining about languages and clothing. Seriously, get over it.
    Na I'm alright love. People specifically taking subjects in languages which they speak natively is a problem in itself, but consequently by doing so you then also group all of these natives speakers in a class with themselves and then once again there's no integration. Furthermore the headscarf, whether you like it or not, is notoriously known as a symbol of oppression and just like how I'd rather not see anyone walking around dressed in KKK clothing, I'd also rather not see people wearing headscarfs. But it's nice to know you don't care about that, next ridiculous point please.

]You're going to laud Saudi Arabia for their preservation of culture at the expense of religious freedom, despite the latter being a fundamental characteristic of modern British culture? How laughable.
    The only thing laughable here is your complete misunderstanding, but once again I'll overlook your stupidity. Nowhere in my post did I say that lack of religious choice was a good thing, I was drawing a comparison between 2 nations and their approach to integrating other people with religion as one example.

Oh wait no, it's also laughable you think that's somehow a fundamental characteristic of British culture.

Moreover, a philosophy class is hardly a refuge for traditions (yes, that includes British traditions); the whole point of philosophy is to think and argue, which may involve challenging prevailing norms and morality. You shouldn't expect people to "integrate" in a philosophy class and get all butt-hurt when someone makes a comment you don't like.
    Wow you really hung up on this one anecdotal point which was literally that, an anecdote. There was no debate about the issue, it was one stupid girl with her backwards belief that all women should wear headscarfs and absolutely no debating involved just swearing, shouting and the typical "omg you're being so racist to me [because you disagree with me]!" The point was a mere example of comments showing people's desire to force their culture here...[/QUOTE]

(Original post by SHallowvale)
    How do you propose we integrate people?
    Force people to partake in community projects with fellow citizens, ensure that people need to pass a certain standard of English test to reside in this country, disintegrate existing built-up-immigrant housing communities (this is the government's fault), offer free community classes on aspects of British life and naturally language courses,

What culture/ideals are immigrants imposing on us? People aren't being rounded up en masse and forced to worship Mohammad.
    Reductio ad absurdum much. I literally already gave examples so I'm not quite sure why you're asking but; the consistent pressure to have halal food products, the consistently unnecessary forced tolerance of the headscarf and any form of religious clothing (I feel the same way about all religious clothing), the growth in Sharia courts, the growth of, Islamic in particular, state faith schools, the increasing realm of PC surrounding religion & race and the need to 'not offend anyone at all' and accept everything at face-value, and more importantly that movement should be absolutely free. So many of these people who have emigrated here have managed to do so via free movement and have continued time and time ago to press the rhetoric that "there should be no borders!" which is clearly countary to the ideals of almost every developed western nation.

Why is it ridiculous? People will communicate with whatever language they feel most comfortable using. This includes dialect within one language itself.
    I already addressed this; because you're not helping your children to learn the language of the land they're living in? Dialects are hardly comparable considering the vocal and lexical difference between that of dialects and English is absolutely minute compared to that of a language like Arabic.

If I moved to a country where English wasn't the official/main language I'd still probably speak it in my free time should I find the native language to be harder to use. Regardless I'd still need to learn the native language, which these parents and their children will most likely be doing anyway.
    But this isn't the point, yes it would be hard and that is why you need to use it and be exposed to it as much as possible. It's not acceptable for a child still learning language to go to school for 6 hours and then come home and spend 18 hours a day using a completely different language, because then his/her English skills suffer vastly in comparison to the other language. I have no issue with teenagers or adults doing it, but children who are still developing language faculties, I do.

"So many of them lack such simple etiquette" - how many? I've lived my whole life in towns/cities with very large foreign communities and have never had any problems with people cutting queues.
    We must have very different experiences then as I've witnessed this several, several times (I couldn't give you a number as it's that many) as well as general disregard for common polite courtesies such as saying thank you or please or apologising etc.

I don't quite see some set of immigrants who can't speak English and halal as being two things that have completed eroded culture in this country beyond recognition.
    Once again reductio ad absurdum, so if you're going to try and respond at least do it properly. I would hope you have the mentally capacity to realise that those were merely e x a m p l e s of things which have arisen in this country as a result of mass immigration. In this reply I have also named others, and the fact you seem to be underplaying the issue of people who can't speak English in England is... very worrying to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    I started reading this with an open mind and then I slowly noticed immigration tilting towards Muslims and Islam (no surprise).

Your problem isn't with immigrants, it's with Muslims. Stop trying to disguise it.

ReputationRep:
    You expect people to come to this country and just completely drop their culture and replace it with British culture? This isn't how it works. Try immigrating to a completely foreign country where everything is brand new to you and see how easily you adapt and drop your British culture. your British values.

Britain is a multicultural country so get used to it!

And they do integrate, just not fully, which is to be expected seeing as those immigrants were not born here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    I'm Indian, the child of immigrants and even I can sympathise with them when it comes with immigrants not integrating. You've come over to this country, presumably because the one you're from is crap. So why cling to the backwards ass culture when that's the thing you moved to get away from?
    Agreed

ReputationRep:
    Send help! Just kidding.

I was fine with immigration until it got to the point where we don't even know how many people are actually over here. I work in a nursing home and a lot of our new staff are foreign and cannot speak a word of english, I was inducting the other day (showing them how to do the job) and they weren't even talking to me in english, and actually had the audacity mid-hoisting someone to get out their phone call someone and have a convo, I went to complain to my manager and they said they can't speak english so they won't know..care is a job where you need communication!!
    And the moment my 6 year old niece came home from school bullied for being white, I'd had enough.

ReputationRep:
    Islamic extremists share a lot of common values with the far right. Can't you bond over your hatred of women, gays and jews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EternalLight)
    I started reading this with an open mind and then I slowly noticed immigration tilting towards Muslims and Islam (no surprise).

Your problem isn't with immigrants, it's with Muslims. Stop trying to disguise it.
    Lets be honest, they are the ones usually integrating the least.
    Even those Gangsta black wannabe rappers from da hood seem more integrated
    Clothing: More western
    Believes: More western
    English: Like all those rappers, understand 1 out of 10 words, but at least English
    Sex: Hitting on white girls 24/7

Also as soon as some muslim does something wrong, all other muslims will say:
    Nah not part of our religion, but he can pray still and get allah to forgive him. WTF NOT PART, but he acn still pray to the same god and ask forgiveness?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewonderwitch0)
    I was fine with immigration until it got to the point where we don't even know how many people are actually over here. I work in a nursing home and a lot of our new staff are foreign and cannot speak a word of english, I was inducting the other day (showing them how to do the job) and they weren't even talking to me in english, and actually had the audacity mid-hoisting someone to get out their phone call someone and have a convo, I went to complain to my manager and they said they can't speak english so they won't know..care is a job where you need communication!!
    And the moment my 6 year old niece came home from school bullied for being white, I'd had enough.
    Yeah lol that percentage on wikipedia seems so out of date. Guess many illegal immigrants can't go to the hospital, but still poop out 7 children who are just like them.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.