The Student Room Group

I've genuinely begun to sympathise with the far-right

Scroll to see replies

Southall though
Original post by EternalLight
You expect people to come to this country and just completely drop their culture and replace it with British culture? This isn't how it works. Try immigrating to a completely foreign country where everything is brand new to you and see how easily you adapt and drop your British culture. your British values.

Britain is a multicultural country so get used to it!

And they do integrate, just not fully, which is to be expected seeing as those immigrants were not born here.

But that's the point. You see the UK as a place to live (fine) but not as somewhere you need to fit in with the natives. As the old idium goes, it should be 'our house, our rules'.

Speak English, dress in western attire and leave your foreign religion in your home. I don't believe these things are too much to ask.
Original post by thewonderwitch0

And the moment my 6 year old niece came home from school bullied for being white, I'd had enough.

This is so ironic.
What if they were forced to migrate due to war or a poor economy? What if they just want to raise their children in a safe place? It's very ignorant to say they come to the uk to get away from their "backwards ass culture" 🤔

Nations that are poor and war ridden are almost always so because they hold inferior cultural values. Most states that are poor today are poor because they chose to get in bed with the Soviets instead of embracing the market. Most war ridden countries are that way because they do not value liberty and are incapable of governing themselves democratically).
The OP is ridiculous. The amount of people on here and on TSR in general who are racist and zenophobic and just plain anti anything that is not bbritish born white is astonishing.
Reply 45
Original post by Inexorably
Send help! Just kidding.

But seriously I have begun to, because I completely understand where they're coming from with the issues of [excessive] immigration. The UK has seriously become a place where instead of attempting to 'integrate' people we now instead 'accommodate' people and their viewpoints; we don't expect them to conform to British values and instead essentially give them the message "hey it's okay for you to impose your culture and ideals on us whilst at the same time criticising ours" and it's quite ridiculous.

I live near Swindon (it's...a....great....town) and there are so many areas of Swindon which are just filled completely with immigrants and because it's so highly-concentrated they are simply not making the effort to integrate with anyone outside of that immigrant community and will just keep to themselves. It's genuinely ridiculous to walk around and hear parents in public primarily talking to their kids in a foreign language; you're not going to integrate your children into England, Wales, Scotland etc. if you're not using the language of the land with them. So many of them also lack such simple etiquette such as the concept of queing or the concept of moving out of the way when someone is walking in the opposite direction on a crowded path.

There's been also several, several occasions where I've witnessed immigrants who can't even communicate in basic English. I recall one incident when one didn't even understand "what is your age" I mean for goodness sake?

Acceptance isn't bad, that's not what I'm saying, and everyone should accept everyone has their own individual beliefs. But likewise each country has its own culture, tradition etc. and when we force change that to adapt to the likes of a few immigrants (e.g. ****ing halal don't even get me started), then that's not integration. If they want that kinda culture then find a country like that...? If I ****ing went to Saudi Arabia and said "hey build me a church for Catholicism" quite rightly they'd say no as it's not in line with their culture, and whilst Saudi Arabia is a piece of ---- nation, not letting your culture erode is important.

Idk I just feel like this country is heading more and more into a disaster. The increase of language GCSEs/A-Levels for languages like Punjabi which are clearly being taken by native speakers is ridiculous. The obsession on halal is ridiculous, the number of people wearing headscarves is also ridiculous (and to quote a serious comment from a girl in my Philosophy class last year 'all women should wear headscarves', good integration!) and I know this isn't England, but a friend I have who lives in Germany says she's fed up of all the cat-calling she receives from Arabic men which has increased under mass immigration. Heck there's even a term for a form of the German language which stems from the fact that Turkish people decided they wanted to change it to fit their own ways.

Ik this is all just such a long rant but honestly the situation with immigration is getting out of control because people simply aren't being integrated, and if you just allow more and more in then it gets harder and harder to integrate. So for the first time I genuinely 100% sympathise with the views of the far-right and I sincerely hope something is at least done by someone.

There is nothing wrong with understanding their thought process. In fact that can help defuse the situation. Just have to keep a grip on reality and not get sucked into the hate-filled hole that they were.

edit- i haven't read the OP though because cba but if you are sympathising with their racist and other disgusting beliefs rather than the reasons why they are so hateful then you need to look in the mirror and ask yourself what kind of person you are becoming.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by bex.anne
The OP is ridiculous. The amount of people on here and on TSR in general who are racist and zenophobic and just plain anti anything that is not bbritish born white is astonishing.

it's turned into a pretty toxic website over the years
Original post by Moura
it's turned into a pretty toxic website over the years

That's what happens when you have a "discussion" section for politics, religion and anything that has potentially controversial arguments on the internet.
Original post by Rakas21
But that's the point. You see the UK as a place to live (fine) but not as somewhere you need to fit in with the natives. As the old idium goes, it should be 'our house, our rules'.

Speak English, dress in western attire and leave your foreign religion in your home. I don't believe these things are too much to ask.

This is the problem with "fitting in" as you've described.

Let's assume we dress in western attire (is the hijab allowed or no?) and we speak English. Will this suffice? No... Next you will start requesting us to take part in Easter and Xmas. Then you will request us to take part in New Years. Then you will request us to start consuming the local food of bacon sandwiches. Then you will start asking us to drink alcohol and have casual sex because that too is British culture.

People like you will NEVER be satisfied until every aspect of our Muslim identity is replaced. If the Muslims started bending to the demands of non Muslims you will press harder and harder for more British cultural norms to be acted on.

Britain used to pride itself on being multicultural but now the only culture that seems to be accepted is British culture.
(edited 6 years ago)
What if they were forced to migrate due to war or a poor economy? What if they just want to raise their children in a safe place? It's very ignorant to say they come to the uk to get away from their "backwards ass culture" 🤔

Culture is usually responsible for both of those things. The only reason Britain is a safespace, is because of British values.

If someone lets you into their home because you're fleeing war, you live as they do. You don't become entitled and cut out your own little sub society.
Original post by Inexorably
Send help! Just kidding.
and when we force change that to adapt to the likes of a few immigrants (e.g. ****ing halal don't even get me started), then that's not integration. If they want that kinda culture then find a country like that...? If I ****ing went to Saudi Arabia and said "hey build me a church for Catholicism" quite rightly they'd say no as it's not in line with their culture, and whilst Saudi Arabia is a piece of ---- nation, not letting your culture erode is important.

okay im understand where you are coming from but for muslims its a requirement to eat halal meat only as they believe through thus way the animals as suffered the leas and its blessed meat. It doesnt impact interrogation imo. I know may who hav interrogated well yet still follow their religious teaching, Its like Jews who have kosher, they still integrate whilst following their faith so i dont see your problem with it and i believe it comes from a place of ignorance :biggrin:
Original post by Zargabaath
Culture is usually responsible for both of those things. The only reason Britain is a safespace, is because of British values.

If someone lets you into their home because you're fleeing war, you live as they do. You don't become entitled and cut out your own little sub society.

Most immigrants do "live as you do" within reason. Give me a list of things you would like Muslims to do / change in order for us to be counted as integrating and fitting in. I'm genuinely curious.

Let's assume we dress in western attire (is the hijab allowed or no?) and we speak English. Will this suffice? No... Next you will start requesting us to take part in Easter and Xmas. Then you will request us to take part in New Years. Then you will request us to start consuming to local food of bacon sandwiches. Then you will start asking us to drink alcohol and have casual sex because that too is British culture.

People like you will NEVER be satisfied until every aspect of our Muslim identity is replaced. If the Muslims started bending to the demands of non Muslims you will press harder and harder for more British cultural norms to be acted on.

Britain used to pride itself on being multicultural but now the only culture that seems to be accepted is British culture.

I don't believe that people who come into the UK should change their culture and beliefs to fit in but people from both sides need to integrate in this country (not all the stuff you listed btw). When you have a large number of people who don't understand english this causes problems with workplaces and schools as this puts a strain on resources to be able to work with them, schools this can be a real problem as you will need to find teachers who speak their languages or you are going to have a student who can't understand what they are being taught and there will be a major stress on resources. Also when my dad was doing teacher training, teachers need to reach a margin for grades achieved by their students which if several people are underperforming due to language barriers they will face issues with their job, early on this isn't massive as you don't have many tests but early on children will have major learning issues which will feed in later on and it will affect other students as well because the teacher will need to give more attention to that child to help them understand.
To me immigrants are the least of the problems this country faces, but I agree that moronic SJWism such as the girl in your philosophy class has got to stop before it divides our country into the right and left like it has in the US.

Let's assume we dress in western attire (is the hijab allowed or no?) and we speak English. Will this suffice? No... Next you will start requesting us to take part in Easter and Xmas. Then you will request us to take part in New Years. Then you will request us to start consuming the local food of bacon sandwiches. Then you will start asking us to drink alcohol and have casual sex because that too is British culture.

Britain never prided itself on being multicultural (we were vary racist and had gang crime in the 60's-80's) and the people who talk crap about how great it is are either middle class white students or those that live in London. The country as a whole has always fiercely nationalist.

Some of those are a bit too far but then would you agree therefore that we can only conclude.. Muslims are not one of us (and probably never will be).
Most immigrants do "live as you do" within reason. Give me a list of things you would like Muslims to do / change in order for us to be counted as integrating and fitting in. I'm genuinely curious.

Why are you reducing it to just muslims? I never even mentioned Islam or muslims...
Original post by Rakas21
Britain never prided itself on being multicultural (we were vary racist and had gang crime in the 60's-80's) and the people who talk crap about how great it is are either middle class white students or those that live in London. The country as a whole has always fiercely nationalist.

Some of those are a bit too far but then would you agree therefore that we can only conclude.. Muslims are not one of us (and probably never will be).

I disagree with this, Brits have never been about blood and soil nationalism which is why we're so great. We'll pay the Indians to fight the Afghans when we need them to and then create Pakistan to screw the Indians when they screw up. We've never really liked other Brits who are not part of our social class so it's not like we're going to suddenly turn into ethnic collectivists.

They should be allowed to do so and I dislike this notion that being here requires you to follow British cultural norms.
Ban all immigrants. No Polish. No Romanians. Brexit means Brexit.
Why are you reducing it to just muslims? I never even mentioned Islam or muslims...

Well since the OP was clearly tilting towards Muslims while trying to disguise it as "immigrants" in general, I assumed this was the path we were on.

However you're right, you didn't mention Muslims. So let me rephrase my question.

What changes should immigrants do in order for them to be counted as integrated and fitting in. Thanks.
Original post by Somepersonhere
One thing, the Halal thing is a good reason and indicator. Where I live, every fcking restaurant/eat place literally has HALAL FOOD hanging on the door. Why? Because there are so many people who otherwise will just immediately look past your food place. It is a bad indicator when there is a need for people to do this, purely to attract customer as they are a high percentage of potential customers who otherwise will just ignore your business.

So yes? Bad when British people have to change their food menus to suite immigrants/foreign people or you will lose most customers.

ignorance , complete and utter ignorance.
ive seen you around and i usually never agree with you.
okay let me help with your ignorance.HALAL meat is meat that has been blessed and the animals must not suffer and have a painless death. This allows for the meat to be halal. Its for religious and ethical reasons. The meat will not taste any different (ensuring that its not pork as that can never be halal). I dont understand how halal means not interrogation and lack of British culture .ITS BLOODY MEAT THAT HAS BEEN KILLED IN A DIFFERENT WAY . how on earth does that relate to British culture? To a regular person they wouldn't know the difference between halal lamb and regular lamb?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending