Too short essay

Watch this thread
enir12
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

It is one week since I submitted my coursework, and I found out today that Word included my footnotes in the word-limit. Is there any chance I can add the words missing by asking my lecturer?

I´m so sad that this will ruin my overall grade. I´m way under the word limit..
A.Poet
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
You may be able to resubmit an updated version of the assignment if you're using turnitin or similar, but the only person who can advise you is your lecturer as they will know the specific rules in this case.
enir12
Rep:
(Original post by A.Poet)
You may be able to resubmit an updated version of the assignment if you're using turnitin or similar, but the only person who can advise you is your lecturer as they will know the specific rules in this case.
Hi,

I´m just so afraid that he will not let me do it, and then I´m just making him aware of it..

Thank you for answering!
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by enir12)
Hi,

It is one week since I submitted my coursework, and I found out today that Word included my footnotes in the word-limit. Is there any chance I can add the words missing by asking my lecturer?

I´m so sad that this will ruin my overall grade. I´m way under the word limit..
How? Word only counts the numbering, not whatever is included in the footing itself. So, if you used 44 footnotes, that would be 44 words.

Next time, always place footnotes after punctuation marks, so that word will not count it as a word.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A.Poet
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

I´m just so afraid that he will not let me do it, and then I´m just making him aware of it..

Thank you for answering!
Your lecturer will be aware of it. From marking university essays myself, it's pretty easy to tell when something is under or over word count. By informing him now, you may at least have a chance to correct your error.
enir12
Rep:
(Original post by _Fergo)
How? Word only counts the numbering, not whatever is included in the footing itself. So, if you used 44 footnotes, that would be 44 words.

Next time, always place footnotes after punctuation marks, so that word will not count it as a word.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually it did count all the footnotes as well, word for word..
_Fergo
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Actually it did count all the footnotes as well, word for word..
Did you do it manually?

It really depends on the rules of your university. For us, it's game over after the deadline, but it may be different for your uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
enir12
Rep:
Your lecturer will be aware of it. From marking university essays myself, it's pretty easy to tell when something is under or over word count. By informing him now, you may at least have a chance to correct your error.
Spoiler:
Show

Okay. But do you think I will get penalised for it? If I´m asking and is being allowed to edit it? Or do you think I`ll may get allowed to just add what missing? I know that I should ask my teacher, but I can´t get any sleep, I´m just too depressed now..
enir12
Rep:
(Original post by _Fergo)
Did you do it manually?

It really depends on the rules of your university. For us, it's game over after the deadline, but it may be different for your uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Turnitin.
A.Poet
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Spoiler:
Show

Okay. But do you think I will get penalised for it? If I´m asking and is being allowed to edit it? Or do you think I`ll may get allowed to just add what missing? I know that I should ask my teacher, but I can´t get any sleep, I´m just too depressed now..

Again, being from a different discipline, I can't give a specific answer, only your university can. My department allows resubmission and we do not penalise whatsoever provided that the resubmission comes in before the deadline for the assignment. I assume in this case that you should just be able to add what is missing and it'll be fine provided it's resubmitted before the deadline, but you should check with your lecturer. It might also be worth consulting any course handbooks you might have as they'll generally contain information on issues such as this.
_Fergo
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Turnitin.
No idea then. We're not allowed to use it.

Definitely ask your tutor. Nothing to lose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
enir12
Rep:
Again, being from a different discipline, I can't give a specific answer, only your university can. My department allows resubmission and we do not penalise whatsoever provided that the resubmission comes in before the deadline for the assignment. I assume in this case that you should just be able to add what is missing and it'll be fine provided it's resubmitted before the deadline, but you should check with your lecturer. It might also be worth consulting any course handbooks you might have as they'll generally contain information on issues such as this.

Well, the deadline was 9 days ago. I just found out today that my Microsoft Word is stupid. We´re not gonna get the result before a 2 weeks time.
A.Poet
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Well, the deadline was 9 days ago. I just found out today that my Microsoft Word is stupid. We´re not gonna get the result before a 2 weeks time.
What would be the penalty for late submission and what's the penalty for going under the word count?
enir12
Rep:
What would be the penalty for late submission and what's the penalty for going under the word count?
What do you mean? I did submit it on time.
A.Poet
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
What do you mean? I did submit it on time.
Yes, but a resubmission would be 9 or 10 days after the deadline, so class as late.
enir12
Rep:
Yes, but a resubmission would be 9 or 10 days after the deadline, so class as late.
Okay. So what you´re saying is that it´s maybe better do not asking for resubmission?
A.Poet
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Okay. So what you´re saying is that it´s maybe better do not asking for resubmission?
Yep, on the basis of the information you've given, I'd say not to bother. For my department, going under the word count sees a 5 mark deduction, but submitting late give a 5 mark deduction per day, so if your resubmission was 10 days after the deadline, you'd lost 50 marks. Far better to take a minor deduction to a much larger one and that assumes you even will be penalised for going under the word count. It's also worth bearing in mind that your lecturer may have already marked your essay, though he won't know this of course if your essays are anonymised, so you risk annoying your lecturer by making him mark your work twice effectively, the first your original piece, the second your resubmitted essay.
selgnab
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Sorry for coming to this chat late - just to help you out a little, form my experience, footntoes are supposed to be counted in your overall word count. In my undergrad, we didnt use footnotes, but i changed degree pathways for my masters and we have to include footnotes - it is a sucker for eating up words! But yeah, maybe your uni is the same? Hope everything is ok!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
12%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (6)
6%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (17)
17%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
23%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
21%

Watched Threads