The Student Room Group

Did your favourite subject change from GCSE to A Level?

At GCSE, I think I enjoyed English Literature the most but I was unfortunately unable to carry it forward. I did, however, continue my second favourite subject - Music - at A-level but quickly grew to hate it.
Although I enjoyed learning new composition techniques and found the process of collaborating with other musicians to be quite rewarding, I majorly sucked at listening skills and essays. They were a cause of a great deal of frustration and insecurity and insecurity!

And so I quickly came to view Maths and Biology as my favourites. How about you? Did your favourite change, as mine did, or were you consistent?
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
At GCSE, I think I enjoyed English Literature the most but I was unfortunately unable to carry it forward. I did, however, continue my second favourite subject - Music - at A-level but quickly grew to hate it.
Although I enjoyed learning new composition techniques and found the process of collaborating with other musicians to be quite rewarding, I majorly sucked at listening skills and essays. They were a cause of a great deal of frustration and insecurity and insecurity!

And so I quickly came to view Maths and Biology as my favourites. How about you? Did your favourite change, as mine did, or were you consistent?

Maths has been my favourite from Year 3 to now :smile:

Maybe because my mum is Asian and made me practice it at home at a higher level than what was taught at school :lol:
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne

Maybe because my mum is Asian and made me practice it at home at a higher level than what was taught at school :lol:

Wished my parents did that lol, I suck at maths with barely scraping a C in the Dutch equivalent of GCSE's.

Anyway, history continues to be my favourite subject.
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne

That's cool!

What was it like doing the easy stuff at school having already covered much more advanced material? Did you do any qualifications early?

Original post by Metalfros
Wished my parents did that lol, I suck at maths with barely scraping a C in the Dutch equivalent of GCSE's.

Anyway, history continues to be my favourite subject.

Hey there :wavey:. If you're now studying in the UK, what was it like if you were to compare education systems? I stayed actually stalked my friend at Radbound University in Nijmegan as I was visiting him during term time. I actually got quite pleasant vibes from the University. Thankfully I met a lot of English speakers while in the Netherlands!

What is it about history that's kept it your favourite subject? Have you grown to prefer studying different things within the subjects as you've progressed through education?
Chemistry was enjoyable at GCSE then came A-Level and it is one of my worst subjects too many chemical equations to remember, they added a bit of a level maths in there and it's just down right dreadful.
Chemistry fell in my opinion. Everything else, particularly physics became more enjoyable.
Reply 6
i loved physics ---> now i hate it so much lol

umm i think my love for maths has been increasing exponentially with each passing minute but idk if its bc of a-levels or whatever

Science in general has always been interesting to me, it got alot better at A-level
Original post by TheIncredibleZ
Chemistry was enjoyable at GCSE then came A-Level and it is one of my worst subjects too many chemical equations to remember, they added a bit of a level maths in there and it's just down right dreadful.

That's a shame, as a Chemistry lover :/. Well perhaps you can rekindle your love for the subject by checking out videos from channels such as Khan Academy without worrying about the underlying maths.
What did you end up preferring at A-level?

Original post by Marcus2016
Chemistry fell in my opinion. Everything else, particularly physics became more enjoyable.

That's really interesting compared to the above person who ended up disliking Chemistry because of the mathsy bit.

I really ought to educate myself on physics but don't know anything unless M2 kinematics counts :tongue:. Why do you rate it?
That's a shame, as a Chemistry lover :/. Well perhaps you can rekindle your love for the subject by checking out videos from channels such as Khan Academy without worrying about the underlying maths.

That's really interesting compared to the above person who ended up disliking Chemistry because of the mathsy bit.

I really ought to educate myself on physics but don't know anything unless M2 kinematics counts :tongue:. Why do you rate it?

My favourite subject was maths :biggrin: i just didn't enjoy acid/buffer/titration calculations as much but was a big fan of organics since it is just essentially a memory test.
That's cool!

What was it like doing the easy stuff at school having already covered much more advanced material? Did you do any qualifications early?

Hey there :wavey:. If you're now studying in the UK, what was it like if you were to compare education systems? I stayed actually stalked my friend at Radbound University in Nijmegan as I was visiting him during term time. I actually got quite pleasant vibes from the University. Thankfully I met a lot of English speakers while in the Netherlands!

What is it about history that's kept it your favourite subject? Have you grown to prefer studying different things within the subjects as you've progressed through education?

Hi! :biggrin: I am indeed studying in the UK, doing my AS-Levels right now. Comparing the same subjects in both systems (Geography and History in this case), in the UK I feel it is more focused on going into depth and essay-styled exams. In the Netherlands, history is more composed of a lot of questions for example whilst in the UK it is only 2 questions at AS. In either case, I find the UK to be more challenging and therefore more fun :smile:

I just like how in history you learn so many things which weren't straight forward back then as they are now - and of course learning how many things we take for granted were only in their cradle of non-existent back then. Like for example during the Tudor period, you could argue the first form of a law system was developed back then. The other topic I am studying, the Cold War, its influence on modern day society speaks for itself.
Yep, my favourite subject was Biology which I loved at GCSE and then when I took it at A-level I absolutely detested it and dropped it and picked up philosophy. My favourite subjects right now are Psychology along with Philosophy lol I still do like biology but mainly just neuroscience

At GCSE my school didn't have a lot of the equipment so we were given demonstrations and not actually allowed to perform the experiments. Then I moved over for my A-levels and they have everything, it's just good to be able to learn the theory and then go and prove it I suppose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending