AQA GCSE Sociology

Watch this thread
Mariamshaikh1
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So the unit 1 exam is on Monday and I've heard that the paper will be similar to the 2014 paper because apparently the board are gonna be "lazy" for our paper and recycle some questions because of the new 9-1 spec next year; do you guys have any other predictions or any advice on how to tackle certain questions?
chl0e.ann
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...rimary_content
liam12345677
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
My teacher says for 5 markers you should describe the term, give a bit of further description, then give an example of the term (or law) in place and explain it further. Very basic and loosely structured but maybe it'll help you. You need a bit more explanation than just description. Also, it might be a good idea to split your answer into two sections with an actual line gap, so you have one 'paragraph' describing, and the other paragraph explaining it. It'll make it easier for the examiner to award you marks.

Also, my teacher has given me 12/12 on all the 12 markers that I've done, and the one thing I changed about them since doing 12 markers back in year 10 was MAKE A CONCLUSION. You'll get more marks with a 3 point + conc essay than a 4 point + no conc essay, since the conclusion is essentially your final link back to the 'how far do sociologist agree' question. Also, don't get too caught up trying to memorise sociologists and their study dates. You need to give an answer that is sociological and proves that you aren't just answering the question from a common sense standpoint, and yes, one way to do that is to show knowledge of sociologists and their studies, but I think an easier way to do it is to just pour those keyterms in by the gallon, as well as giving contemporary examples of the sociological process happening in real life (e.g. in a question asking if meritocracy exists, you can say 'an example of meritocracy in contemporary society is Alan Sugar who came from a working class family and achieved his status').

Do a plan for the 12 marker. Idk about you but I am terrible with the timings but I feel like you're not meant to have enough time, i.e. if you're finishing all the questions with time to spare then you're not writing enough. You should blast through the first 4 marks since they're easy, and pick up maybe 30 secs here and there on the 4 and 5 markers. When you reach the 12 marker, I think 15 minutes is a good amount of time to have.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (18)
28.57%
As I expected (18)
28.57%
Harder (24)
38.1%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.76%

Watched Threads