Extreme Vertigo

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I recently started my period, and although it's never happened during my period before, I woke up today with pretty extreme vertigo. I know what it is because I have had labrynthitis multiple times in the past (the first time even caused me to miss school for two months).

I'm sort of concerned. Is this because of my period, or do I have labrynthitis again? And is there any way I can get rid of it within the next two days? I have three exams next week that I can't miss, and I don't want to be doing them when the room is spinning uncontrollably...

The first time I had extreme vertigo as a result of labrynthitis, the only thing my doctor could give me was pills to suck on which would get rid of the severe nausea I had been experiencing. I don't have 'severe' nausea this time (thankfully) but I do have a stomach ache and feel a little bit sick. I don't know what help, if any, the doctor can provide; and I don't think I'll be able to make an appointment with him before my exams begin again on Monday.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I recently started my period, and although it's never happened during my period before, I woke up today with pretty extreme vertigo. I know what it is because I have had labrynthitis multiple times in the past (the first time even caused me to miss school for two months).

I'm sort of concerned. Is this because of my period, or do I have labrynthitis again? And is there any way I can get rid of it within the next two days? I have three exams next week that I can't miss, and I don't want to be doing them when the room is spinning uncontrollably...

The first time I had extreme vertigo as a result of labrynthitis, the only thing my doctor could give me was pills to suck on which would get rid of the severe nausea I had been experiencing. I don't have 'severe' nausea this time (thankfully) but I do have a stomach ache and feel a little bit sick. I don't know what help, if any, the doctor can provide; and I don't think I'll be able to make an appointment with him before my exams begin again on Monday.
I suggest you call 111 or your doctor's surgery. You obviously want this sorted before it affects your exams too much and that's how to do it. Remember to mention that you are on your period and that you have previously had labrynthitisas it may be relevant.
At the very least a doctor should be able to advise you on ways to reduce the feeling or give you something to help.

Since you are on a deadline you can see what your surgery can do in the way of an urgent appointment. Most surgeries will have slots available for urgent cases and frankly being extremely dizzy is rather urgent. If you can't get an urgent appt with your surgery you can call 111 or visit a walk-in clinic. 111 can advise you on services nearby (including walk-ins) and give advice on which to go to and how soon.

Oh and if this feeling does persist until your exams talk to your school/ college about what can be done. You may be able to get rest breaks or extenuating circumstances etc. Talk to them a few days before if it seems like it will be hanging around as they may have to call in extra staff to accommodate any help you get or need time to set things up.

Hope you feel better soon
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Periods can do some odd things to your body.

I do remember reading somewhere that labrynthitis can cause vertigo too. I'm on my third episode of vertigo since November (well, just recovered) and quite frankly, sick of it now.

Your GP can give you some tablets (I think I read somewhere they're similar to travel sickness tablets) to help with the feeling of dizziness. But I find they don't do much.
username2769500
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can always find my way out of a Labrynth but I get a really bad athsma attack so I probably have that instead with a big rush of blood when I'm in a high place.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (285)
56.21%
I don't have everything I need (222)
43.79%

Watched Threads